Face your chaos, know who you are!
#199775 by hakmed
Thu May 28, 2009 1:21 pm
what the czech guy is really trying to say is, "I can't believe you're breaking up with me after all we've been through".. poor poor czech guy :(
#199777 by jleclaire
Thu May 28, 2009 1:34 pm
I'm tired of fans thinking that artists need to cater to their "needs". One of my favorite things about Devin's music that that he doesn't manufacture the same album with different words over and over again simply to appease the masses like what happens with many "mainstream" acts. "Ki" is certainly a departure from the music I usually listen to and the music that first got my interesting in Devin's work, but this is probably why I like it so much. Furthermore, the fact that there is an underlying meaning to the album make it all the better. In my opinion, all music deserves a 10/10 for simply existing, regardless of whether I enjoy it or not.
#199783 by Jormungandr
Thu May 28, 2009 1:56 pm
Hmm. I understand that people have different tastes in music, and different opinions, but how could you be so harsh on such a great record? From what I've heard on youtube of Ki (still waiting for it to come in the mail), Ki is absolutely fantastic. Good music is good music in my book. I'm not saying I'm a better person because I like Ki and all of Devin's other works, but I can't help but think that guys is a fucking moron. I'm not to great at getting my thoughts across, but....uhmmm.....yeah...
#199800 by Purple Tentacle
Thu May 28, 2009 2:39 pm
I think that reviews like these are fucking great. No sarcasm. That man made it clear to the world that Ki is unique and different than everything else Devin has made. That is exactly what needs to be said. That way, people will see 9 good reviews of the album, and then this one. That way, they will understand that's it's a good record AND it's different. If you see what I did there...
#199805 by auldj
Thu May 28, 2009 2:50 pm
I think ti's safe to sa that a majority of the reviews have been overly positive

Which is great!

The trouble with reviews is that they are only the opinion of that one person...

I'm sure if I did a review of a 50 Cent album....I wouldn't give it top marks!

Most of the reviews (about 98%?! - Pulled that percentage out of my arse) have been very good.
#199843 by WickedBuddhi
Thu May 28, 2009 4:46 pm
I think, speaking from a fan perspective--that if the artist is satisfied with the work this will appease the fans as well.

A critic does not know more than the average joe and certainly knows less than the average musician. It is all subjective and relative to their tastes. Anyone read some of Martin Popoff's reviews? In some of them, he will blatantly say that he does not like Death Metal, then why does he review Death Metal? He also hates anything from the 60's and the psychedelic era, and reviews them with low scores.
#199844 by gendralman
Thu May 28, 2009 4:47 pm
emreis wrote:Yes, the overseas machine is definitely broken. It sinks, and the passengers in life boats just sadly think back on the old good times. Only the crazy tafty captain is sadly playing on his dusty old instruments.

Regardless of what you think of the album, this is a hilarious image.
#199851 by emorrin
Thu May 28, 2009 5:08 pm
At this point in an artist’s career, 14 studio releases not counting the 2 demo releases and various EPs, repetition usually sets in. This is not the case here. Sure there are a few parts that remind me of previous works but they are far and few in between. It is inevitable that this will happen as a good artist has his unique “stamp” on his music which makes it recognizable to someone familiar with it. Ki, to me, is definitely a departure to Devin’s other works. While I have not heard Ki enough to form a solid review yet, there are some parts that stick out for me. I like the title song, how it starts out calm and serene then builds up intensity after the 4 minute mark with that scale progression. The looping at the end adds to the intensity. The Quiet Riot song is a nice acoustic melody that stuck in my head after the first listen. Sounds like something that can be sung around a camp fire. I like the first track even though it is an intro with only sparse guitar. It reminds me of a beginning of a new day, when the sun is just coming up and the dew is still on the grass. That Elvis’ish song (cannot think of any other way to describe it) is real catchy. Disruptr is also a stand out track. All in all, there is not a weak song on this CD.

Maybe it is just me, but with Ki, I hear a little Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd influences. I really like how he can make a clean guitar tone sound so heavy. The overall production is clean and not too loud.

As of today, I would give it a 9/10. This rating may rise in the future as this one is a grower like all other Devin’s CDs. Like all his other works, it takes a while to digest before the true genius of it starts shining through.

I am no professional reviewer but that is my take on Ki and I am sticking with it. By the way, what in the Sam hell drugs is that one reviewer on? “a stoned salmon” :shock: ….. and I thought I heard it all.

:guitar:
#199880 by XIII
Thu May 28, 2009 9:06 pm
See, that czech review was garbage. He didn't make any points. He more or less tried to impress us all with his wit, but he failed. Like if he could point out an actual flaw that took the score down, I'd consider it legitimate.

Like I said, Ki isn't perfect to me. But at the same time, I got into Devin via more heavy and experimental stuff (Strapping, Ocean Machine, Terria). Ki is more environmental, or as you guys say, "organic," which is cool. I still love it, and Devin's presence on an album makes it worth a purchase because I love his voice and guitar methods.

Either way, I'm glad Devin works through all the criticism, because if he quit making music, I don't know what I'd do. :(
#199920 by Matt Nevens
Fri May 29, 2009 6:59 am
There is a weird review in Kerrang magazine this week, didnt say anything bad about it but then gave it 3/5. Then again magazines like kerrang cover shit pop rock music so i guess i shouldnt care.
#199929 by djskrimp
Fri May 29, 2009 7:42 am
di_fowler wrote:Hello! My review is up on chronicles of chaos. As you can tell, I fucking hated it.

http://chroniclesofchaos.com/reviews/al ... ct_ki.aspx

A more blistering review could not have been made even if Satan himself in the fiery pits of hell in his most pissed off mood wrote it while on the rag. Your pen is a sharp sword, sir, and you have cut deep. DEEP!

:P
#199935 by Rahovart
Fri May 29, 2009 8:07 am
di_fowler wrote:Hello! My review is up on chronicles of chaos. As you can tell, I fucking hated it.

http://chroniclesofchaos.com/reviews/al ... ct_ki.aspx

"even a twenty minute Mastodon epic about Rosie O' Donnell would sound small fry"

You sir get my quote of the week. Trust me, in the world of Me that's the highest honour I can bestow on somebody.
#199945 by gendralman
Fri May 29, 2009 9:45 am
Lolliklauer wrote:Rock Hard magazine germany: 8/10 (but only #44 in the monthly ranking with an average rating of 6.5 by all reviewers)
Metal Hammer magazine germany: 5/7 (#10, i think)

Matt Nevens wrote:There is a weird review in Kerrang magazine this week, didnt say anything bad about it but then gave it 3/5. Then again magazines like kerrang cover shit pop rock music so i guess i shouldnt care.

do you guys have these? any way you could scan them?
#199946 by Fadefury
Fri May 29, 2009 9:52 am
The Dev wrote:Yep, not going to defend myself there...he's of course entirely correct in his mind. His expectations were not met.

I'm fine and dandy if no one buys it or even reviews it. I'm not out to ruin someones day, dissapoint someone, or annoy anybody.

Ki is damn near perfect in my mind...there is of course no such thing as a perfect record...but as a representation of what I needed to say? yup.

Again...folks are invited to do themselves a favor if it's in their nature to be hurt by a strangers honesty and download the stuff and save themselves any 'emotional turmoil' brought about by spending money in times of recession.

I did an interview with a guy the other day who was 'mortally offended' by my constant output and the new record. I made it clear to him, of course, that I wasn't doing it for him, and I'm going to keep doing it regardless...so why interview me? ...to tell me that? ...the only offense I took was his presumption that I cared.

Lots of love everyone, seriously...back to work!

It's amazing that you can put up with such things from people interviewing you. People along with this guy from the sounds of it forget that its not their music. It's the artists music and its THEIR entertainment. They take things on such a personal level and forget what its really all about. I admire someone willing to put themselves out there like Devin does constantly and defend himself every step of the way.

In the end some people just can not handle honesty and that's why I've always said that the world will come to an end when everyone starts being honest with themselves and everyone else around them.