Face your chaos, know who you are!
#200251 by Rahovart
Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:36 am
daneulephus wrote:I know this must seem like absolute blasphemy, but I don't believe I have ever seen The Dark Crystal. If I did, I was really young. Maybe I will have a friend dl-it for me....I am broke.

Dan

Me and you both, I hadn't seen it for years, then it was mentioned on here and I decided to watch it again. 3 times in 3 nights :D
#200254 by Lettuce
Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:24 am
FUBAR wrote:I wonder why Dev is so into Dark Cyrstal?

Because it's BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAUTIFUL :o

I think I'm gonna have to buy the DVD. I already have it on VHS but I don't have a VCR anymore :P
#200275 by royvis
Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:18 pm
The Dark Crystal has got to be one of the most amazing films of all time. The amount of artistic effort that went into it's concept and creation is immense. No humans even appear in the film! It's all puppets and elaborate costumes (It's was a Jim Henson production...), no computer graphics whatsoever. At least three people were required to operate each Skeksis, from inside the costume!!! And furthermore, the only way they could see from inside the costume was by strapping small televisions/monitors in front of their faces, and watching themselves from another camera viewpoint. That was 1982, so a small TV back then was still quite large!

An incredibly complex and complicated film... not to mention the philosophical and mystical themes contained within...

And there's a sequel in the works (conceptual phase) last I heard. Brian Froud is designing once again, and supposedly Genndy Tartakovsky is directing.
#200320 by gendralman
Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:27 pm
royvis wrote:The Dark Crystal has got to be one of the most amazing films of all time. The amount of artistic effort that went into it's concept and creation is immense. No humans even appear in the film! It's all puppets and elaborate costumes (It's was a Jim Henson production...), no computer graphics whatsoever. At least three people were required to operate each Skeksis, from inside the costume!!! And furthermore, the only way they could see from inside the costume was by strapping small televisions/monitors in front of their faces, and watching themselves from another camera viewpoint. That was 1982, so a small TV back then was still quite large!

An incredibly complex and complicated film... not to mention the philosophical and mystical themes contained within...

And there's a sequel in the works (conceptual phase) last I heard. Brian Froud is designing once again, and supposedly Genndy Tartakovsky is directing.

I see what you did there.
#200329 by Overtone
Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:01 pm
I tried to watch it when I was something like 4 years old but the first 5 minutes scared me to death. And I'm pretty sure this was around the same time when Robocop and Warrior of the Lost World were my favorite movies.
#200368 by Lettuce
Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:02 am
I thoroughly reccomend you do! It's always been one of my favourites, although I had to watch it with my mum when I was really small cause it did scare e a bit :P I got a hoooooooooooooooooooooge book on the entire world of the Dark Crystal kicking about my livingroom, it's absolutely fascinating, feels like reading about another dimension entirely!
#200387 by daneulephus
Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:05 am
I am slowly dl-ing it from youtube and watching the clips in between facebook and study sessions. It is pretty awesome, and seems vaguely familiar.

I also sensed the Gato reference right away. Dev's usage is a little less fantasy-esque, and more literal....but nonetheless, genius.

Dan