Face your chaos, know who you are!
#207475 by hevysyl_rob
Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:46 pm
OceanMachine15 wrote:Sorry. I'm a gigantic fan of Devin, I love literally EVERYTHING he's ever put out, (with the exception of L.A. and Amsterdam), but this video is shitty. I know Devin considers Konrad a musical genius, but if this is any indication of the man's work, then I am not impressed and Dev needs to get someone new. If I was a casual MTV/VH1 viewer watching this shit, I would shut it off and make sure to find out who made the song so I knew to stay far away from anything else he ever put out.
I find it hard to believe that this video took HALF as long as it supposedly took. Anyone with a webcam and a good MovieMaker program could make something better than this in one night with their bedroom laptop.
Bad form Devin.

It wasnt that bad... :shock: i found it to be very powerful and its what devin wanted, all the fans on this forum has always said for devin to do what devin wants to do, and thats what he likes, if you dont like it fine but dont insult it ffs -.-', this is what devin wanted to do and i appreciate that, so be it, wether its bad or not..just like his music, devin will write what he wants to write because it makes him happy. critism is one thing but i thought that was just rude and hurtful man :(

Great vid dev, and om15.. create a video bettter then that in one day like your bullshit rant says you can... go ahead.. on top of writing albums, producing other bands music, managing ideas for a website and a load of other tasks on devins plate each day...you just couldn't :fuck:

and thats another thing! mtv and vh1 viewers dont have any music sense so...no wonder!
Last edited by hevysyl_rob on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#207486 by Josiah Tobin
Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm
OceanMachine15 wrote:I am not impressed and Dev needs to get someone new. If I was a casual MTV/VH1 viewer watching this shit, I would shut it off and make sure to find out who made the song so I knew to stay far away from anything else he ever put out.

I'd say the only reason Devin would "need to get someone new" is if he personally was not satisfied with the video, not because one of his fans disliked what he saw. ;) Pardon me for saying, but I don't think you have the right to appoint yourself judge and jury for an artist's personal vision.

Also, utterly boycotting an artist's music because you don't like the video, even as a hypothetical concept as you used it, makes about as little sense to me as, say, boycotting a certain type of sandwich because you didn't like the store you bought it at.

Care to elaborate on what part of the video offends you so deeply, good sir?

~Josiah
#207503 by OceanMachine15
Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:48 pm
I'm not saying that Dev's fans will think it's shitty. I'm saying that should he one day want to put it out on television (What the hell's the point of making a video if you're not going to release it to tv?) it won't do that well. I don't watch MTV or VH1 or any music video show for that matter EVER, but I know a lot of people who do and almost all of them tend to shut the music off if the music video is bad. They have the attention spans of a chipmunk.
Personally, I thought the best video Dev ever did was Love.
Until I get the guitar videos for Dev's music, once again, you could look at my YouTube channel: SSHGL. I like making AMVs to the guy who asked me to make a better video and personally, (I used to have more, but copyright claims by YouTube put em down) I think they're great and I would hardly change a thing in them.
#207508 by AccEvolution
Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:45 pm
It's mysterious and haunting... and not at all what I expected. It leaves me feeling a little bit confused and frightened. Confused because now my idea of what the song meant is blurred a bit and frightened because I had a dream about the greys last night, then woke up to see this video for the first time; I was pretty freaked out, I thought I had escaped them!

I think it's lovely.

And I think this is FOR Devin's fans, I doubt he wants it to be played on MTV and such, but I'll let him speak on that.

EDIT: For the hell of it I typed "Alien Monolith" into Google and the first result was "Alien Monolith Found On Saturn's Moon Iapetus?"

For anyone that knows it, this should bring to mind 2001: A Space Odyssey. Probably not really all that significant, but cool none-the-less.
#207536 by The Dev
Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:57 pm
Sit in a dark room.

Put it in HD and full screen

Sit about 60" away from the screen

Watch it 6 times

Every element of it is important. The blurry shots are very elaborate sets made to look like amateur filming. It's all cgi.

It's genius as far as I'm concerned. When I first saw it, I was like 'wtf???' then I followed those instructions and it's VERY creepy.

d
#207539 by GuyOne
Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:31 am
I am a huge alien/space/UFO/Roswell/what the fuck is out there? fan and this video is just fantastic. I totally didn't expect it when awaiting the video and I definitely couldn't imagine Coast ever having this type of video (unless the lyrics relate, I don't know I have never read them) but this is fucking great!

Kind of reminds me of something Hypocrisy would do for a video but just never did.
#207552 by simbelmyne
Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:32 am
we're in a time where internet is a quite important medium and mtv has reached a status which is not important for anything that has to do with honest art.
#207569 by Wander
Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:08 am
Yeah, I think with this it's pretty obvious that it was never even meant to be aired on MTV. Has any Devin/SYL song actually been on MTV? ...Does it matter?

Basically, it's just a freaking cool video imo.
#207574 by GuyOne
Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:49 am
never will you see videos like this on MTV or Much Music or The Voice or whatever music channel your country has. Just isn't that kind of video. Though i think the song could fit.
#207578 by Kivenkantaja
Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:09 am
To hevysyl_rob and Josiah:

It's a music video. It's inevitable that some of us will dislike it, even hate it.
This is a discussion of the video. Debates are a lot more interesting read than page after page of mindless praise.

Just my two cents.
#207593 by mushroom
Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:36 am
The Dev wrote:Sit in a dark room.

Put it in HD and full screen

Sit about 60" away from the screen

Watch it 6 times

I got to try this :D
#207596 by AppleQueso
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:07 am
Wander wrote:Yeah, I think with this it's pretty obvious that it was never even meant to be aired on MTV. Has any Devin/SYL song actually been on MTV? ...Does it matter?

Basically, it's just a freaking cool video imo.

I saw the videos for Love? and Zen on MTV once.
#207597 by hevysyl_rob
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:16 am
Kivenkantaja wrote:To hevysyl_rob and Josiah:

It's a music video. It's inevitable that some of us will dislike it, even hate it.
This is a discussion of the video. Debates are a lot more interesting read than page after page of mindless praise.

Just my two cents.

But...Thats against our programming :shock: :rules:

:mrgreen:

Theres a few things about devins work I dislike, but I reacted like that as I thought that comment was just a little too harsh...As I said "rude and hurtful" a debate is one thing, but that just seemed like an all out video bashing :roll: