Face your chaos, know who you are!
#203050 by Torbjørn
Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:14 pm
The Dev wrote:It was a great take, but Duris didn't feel like he nailed the last chorus...it was supposed to end where it did, and we were on such a roll, that we just played the last chorus again under the assumption that I would edit it later...but I decided not to edit the drums, so we just used that moment in time.

I love it.

...I've been known to be wrong though :)

I kinda like how it breaks that 4th wall, if you know what I'm saying?
#203052 by emorrin
Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:18 pm
I think it is great to actually record the songs the way you did on this CD and not just cut and paste everything. Man am I getting sick of pro tools! That ending adds to the ambiance of the song. Just when you think the song is over ....

I wish more bands recorded in this fashion. Overproduced CDs sometimes come off as stale and have no character. I like the raw organic feeling to this recording. I think if Devin did his usual "wall of sound" recording technique that this CD would have a totally different feel to it. Not that the "wall of sound" production thing is always bad, it just wouldn't work with this CD. It definitely works with the heavier stuff.
#203057 by Mazaro
Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:16 pm
You know, now that I think of it as kind of a triumphant burst of energy that way, it really is the first change in tone from some of the previous tracks which are SERIOUSLY dark... Gato, Disruptr... and then a lot of the later parts of the album are much more gentle and uplifting.
#203065 by hairbearbunch
Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:17 pm
KS and RTG wrote:I love how his voice cracks when he says "figure."

"can we just get to the end? do you know what I'm talking about? right before the figure"

I still think it's one of those key fitting, in the moment things, that occur in an artistic mode. "Figure" lol
#203188 by Matt08642
Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:22 pm
My favourite part in Heaven's End/Heaven Send (God, I don't know) is the way a certain part of the drumming sounds.

Time stamp is: 5:34, right after he says "There's no fun at all"
#203201 by swervedriver
Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:53 am
Yeah it seems like it kinda "dries up" there. I love how it works as a dramatic build-up to the "BURN BURN!" part. :)
#203492 by reson
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:30 pm
I think its cool. You think the song is done then, BAM, it's not! I dig it. And the actual explanation from devin just makes it cooler that it works, at least to me.
#203750 by Thebruce88
Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:15 pm
djskrimp wrote:When one focuses on the imperfection of a single leaf, they miss the magnificence of the tree.

And, I never noticed any awkward break, not hear any awkward break after your notice.

That's a nice quote. Really makes me think about how much I tend to focus on the smaller things, while missing the larger beauty.

However though, it has no place here. That break really IS a momentum killer in my opinion as well. It's more like a gigantic crack in the tree that will only get bigger over time (the break in the song gets more and more annoying every time I hear it).

To each his own though I suppose, /shrug.
#203873 by MrBeasty
Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:10 pm
That bit never bothered me ... what bugged me is the beginning of Trainfire ... the "Elvis" stuff just doesn't to for me. Love the rest of the song.

BTW - Alice Cooper had done something like that few years back on his Dragontown album [the song Disgraceland]and it didn't work either, IMHO.
#205530 by Naz
Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:59 am
Thebruce88 wrote:That's a nice quote...However though, it has no place here. That break really IS a momentum killer in my opinion... ...To each his own though I suppose...

Obviously I hacked that a bit, but I'm trying to highlight the pure subjectivity of this thread. Personally, I feel some of my favourite parts of Devin's music are when he has small pieces in the background, like in "The Death of Music", which itself is plausibly my favourite Devin song, albeit tied with a few others. This is a purely subjective notion. Some like this side of his musical persona and some do not. At least it can be said that many do not do so overly often.

Still, to mine own ear at least, it came in on-beat. :mrgreen: