Face your chaos, know who you are!
#203359 by tremby
Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:17 am
Hey, folks.

I've noticed a possible defect on my Ki CD in Disruptr at about 3:18. The CD's brand new and clean and my ripping program is certain it's not doing anything wrong (sounds the same in a standalone CD player too). I've stuck the bit in question (3 second clip -- hope this is OK) up at http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bjn/disruptrdefect.wav

Does this sound the same for the rest of you or is my CD defective?

Thanks
#203498 by BrunoN
Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:06 am
I wouldn't trust my crap sound in work computer so judge by your sample, but I'm guessing you're on that loud, distorted BOOM. It's teh bass bomb and it's planned, I suppose. Devin drop these every now and then at least since Infinity. They indeed are bit clippy, but harmful only for lesser animals and people without helmets.
#203503 by tremby
Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:28 am
Matt08642 wrote:I don't understand what part of that is defective... like, what do you mean?

Have a look at the waveform:
http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bjn/disruptrdefect.png

In the middle there is a bit which looks different from the rest. That's what I think is wrong. It sounds wrong to me. It's not quite a clippy noise and not quite distortion... I'm not sure what it is.

BrunoN wrote:I wouldn't trust my crap sound in work computer so judge by your sample, but I'm guessing you're on that loud, distorted BOOM. It's teh bass bomb and it's planned, I suppose. Devin drop these every now and then at least since Infinity. They indeed are bit clippy, but harmful only for lesser animals and people without helmets.

I think I know what you're referring to, and there are a bunch of them in Alien. I think this is different. Here's what one of the bass bombs in We Ride looks like:
http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bjn/weridebass.png

See after the beat where the bass is still warbling but dying out and the rest of the song grows up to fill the space available to it again. Compare to the waveform above where it's just a momentary thing.

If anyone's ripped their Ki CD to computer and has Audacity or similar installed, open up Disruptr in it, select from 03:17 to 03:20 (that's what my wav file is above -- the waveform is a bit less than that) and export that selection to a file. I'd like to see if it's the same as mine. (In Audacity just type in those times at the bottom under selection start and end, then file->export selection.) Stick it on the web somewhere. That'd be really helpful.
#203811 by Aden
Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:49 am
I don't think its defective actually.

I can't notice any difference between your clip and mine
#203813 by Reion
Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:57 am

here ya go bro, freshly ripped from my CD, uncompressed wav, looks like i have the same "error", my guess is that its supposed to be that way

edit: ha, got beaten to it, oh well :D
#203879 by sj_2150
Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:26 am
BrunoN wrote:I wouldn't trust my crap sound in work computer so judge by your sample, but I'm guessing you're on that loud, distorted BOOM. It's teh bass bomb and it's planned, I suppose. Devin drop these every now and then at least since Infinity. They indeed are bit clippy, but harmful only for lesser animals and people without helmets.

indeed. when i was younger and i first got alien, i tried listening to it through poor quality ipod earphones. the bassbombs on shitstorm would cut out the earphones for a bit. you might be having the same problem.
#205232 by Xykhoh
Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:11 am
On my copy of Ki, it sounds like there's the same "defect". Personally, it sounds to me like when Dev edited the song that he tried his best to put the two clips together with the least amount of volume change together, and they probably overlap by a couple microseconds. Although, it doesn't really effect my feelings towards Ki, as it is a masterpiece.

:mrgreen:
#207057 by Mornothly
Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:02 pm
Aden wrote:I don't think its defective actually.

I can't notice any difference between your clip and mine

lol, the whole thing is different :|

if you look closely, you can see differences.
#244064 by Sticks
Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 am
That is not a defect on your CD. That's clipped in the mix at a high sample rate, which gives it a "smooth distortion".