Face your chaos, know who you are!
#206594 by Ancalagon
Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:37 pm
So...
Devin has mentioned several times his love of Stravinsky. Has anyone else been listening to this album from a classical viewpoint?
I definitely hear the Stravinsky. 'Coast' really captures that 'Symphony of Psalms' level of tension...
Anyone?
#206618 by TheOmniscient
Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:29 pm
I myself don't really hear the similarities but he has stated that it was an inspiration during the making of Ki. I've been wondering what other orchestral music devin likes. I would've thought he'd be more into the darker stuff like Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich or Prokofiev.
Also, I'm a film score buff and would love to hear Devins opinions on some of my favourite popular film scorers such as John Williams(created some of the most magical music I've ever heard, Hook, Jurassic Park, E.T), Danny Elfman(his early 90s stuff was excellent. Stuff like Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, The Nightmare before Christmas(vocals too), Batman etc He was also the frontman of the great Oingo Boingo and has a whopper of a voice!), Jerry Goldsmith(this legend did the Legendary movie Legend and a loada quirky stuff like Gremlins and the 'burbs!), James Horner(can be magical when not repeating himself and doing dodgy movies. ha), Thomas Newman(I think Dev'd like his minimalistic approach. Road To Perdition is a great Score. The Farm and the title track from that movie sound very similar to Let it Roll from Synchestra), Ennio Morricone(Once Upon a Time in America is one of my favourites. So many near perfect scores), John Barry(Somewhere in time, Out of Africa, Dances with Wolves, etc)
#206652 by Ancalagon
Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:27 am
Those are all awesome scores!
It never occured to me to think of film music, actually - Morricone and Elfman have definitely got to be in there!
It's funny how all the "classical" composers we have mentioned are Russian... The Russians invented heavy.The Germans get some credit too.
#206697 by soundsofentropy
Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:49 am
Dev has mentioned some aspirations, namely to compose symphonies and score films. All brilliant composers you've named so far (maybe not so much Horner, but that's just my opinion). Anyway, I've always thought that Dev does a great job of subtly speaking to/of his influences in his work, be those influences film, score, novel, whatever. I don't hear too much Stravinsky in Ki, but I wouldn't want to (and I'm not sure that Dev would, either)--the influence is all blended together, amalgamated with original creativity.

As for the Russians and Germans pioneering the heavy, I would say I'm not surprised by it. The cultures and conditions in either of those places can foster some serious emotional response, and consequently some damn good music (combined with folk songs, etc.--influence without distinct origin).
#206702 by daneulephus
Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:27 am
I don't hear Stravinsky on Ki....but I DEFINITELY hear it on Infinity (mainly the Rite). I listened to them back to back in headphones the other day...and some of the chaos and vocal arrangements are rhythmically like the Rite....esp. the transition from Soul Driven to Ants...and Ants in general. Love it....I hear Infinity totally differently now since getting familiar with Stravinsky.
#206983 by TheOmniscient
Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:30 pm
soundsofentropy wrote:All brilliant composers you've named so far (maybe not so much Horner, but that's just my opinion)

I'm not a fan of the big scores that he's known for like Titanic and Gladiator so I just want to make sure you're not dismissing his older and superior material because of stuff like that. Listen to Willow,The Land Before Time, Cocoon, Glory, Krull, balto etc Even Casper kicks ass!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbPCR5so ... re=related
Magic

http://www.filmtracks.com/composers/horner.shtml
this site's great

back on topic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tGA6bpscj8
yeah!
#209363 by daneulephus
Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:43 am
Anyone know anything about Rachmaninov? Or Bartok? I hear they are similar to Stravinsky.
#209366 by soundsofentropy
Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:48 am
daneulephus wrote:Anyone know anything about Rachmaninov? Or Bartok? I hear they are similar to Stravinsky.

In that they're Russian, I suppose. They're, of course, very distinct. I'm very familiar with Rachmaninoff--I don't know what you want to know, but when I was doing the whole serious piano performance business in high school and the first year of college, I played a lot of Rachmaninoff. His piano works (the Études-Tableaux and the concertos, specifically) are absolutely incredible. As for Bartok, check out some of the string quartets. Really crazy.
#209700 by theoryman
Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 am
daneulephus wrote:Anyone know anything about Rachmaninov? Or Bartok? I hear they are similar to Stravinsky.

I don't think Rachmaninoff is that similar to Stravinsky. Bartok is more, especially rhythmically, I think. Rach is one of my favorite composers though: http://www.youtube.com/user/ValentinaLisitsa - she has lots of good Rach stuff on her page.
#211243 by Kuhaa
Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:13 pm
I listen quite a lot to classical music. Can't say I find similarities in Devin's music though. I love Rachmaninoff's work and that's why I find this piece of work hilarious: Igudesman & Joo - Rachmaninov Had Big Hands. These guys are great. Extremely talented and funny as hell. Just thought you'd find it entertaining as there seem to be other fans of Rachmaninoff.
#211257 by Cg138
Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:30 am
I hear the Rite of Spring's opening melody at the end of Soul Driven. I'm sure someone else has brought this up already.
#211384 by TheOmniscient
Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:31 pm
Kuhaa wrote:I listen quite a lot to classical music. Can't say I find similarities in Devin's music though. I love Rachmaninoff's work and that's why I find this piece of work hilarious: Igudesman & Joo - Rachmaninov Had Big Hands. These guys are great. Extremely talented and funny as hell. Just thought you'd find it entertaining as there seem to be other fans of Rachmaninoff.

that's the most entertained i've been in a while. cheers.

Any musical recommendations for the darker side of orchestral music? I love Rachmaninoff. The most annoying thing about it is the amount of different recordings there are. I never know what to get. I go with the cheap 'uns but I'm probably missing out on some far superior versions?