Face your chaos, know who you are!
#207009 by Roddy
Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:51 am
My God, I just loved this song when I first heard it and it just grew on me from there. Is it not just one of the best songs of the year, if not THE best, one of the best tunes Dev's ever done in career, and, Goddamn it, one of the best songs of ALL TIME???!!!! The way it builds from incredibly mellow beginnings up to that magnificent operatic climax! Makes my hair stand on end every time. 7 mins 20 of pure musical magic. I just thought it deserved it's own thread.
#207020 by Zyprexa
Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:39 am
You thought right about this thread! There are few things in life which do to me what that song does.

Remember when Dev released the preview and the Ki crescendo was on it without the layering? I listened to it for the first time lying on my bed staring at the ceiling, it was incredible. Then when Ki arrived me and Leechy listened to it on super quality surround sound speakers, I recognised the crescendo and went "Aw, I've heard this already." But then the additional remastering kicked in, and the way he textured and wrapped the music around itself blew me away. I remember being in my kitchen and staring at Mark in disbelief, being like "Are you hearing this too?"

It gets me every time, to this day. It's my third favourite song ever since the moment I heard it. It's very close to passing out Hide Nowhere as my second favourite and moving up a rank. Time will tell!
#207048 by FUBAR
Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:15 pm
Yeh its a real classic, pure, honest and emotional. The beauty of the epic ending gives me tingles down my back everytime.
#207055 by Devy, spelled Devy!
Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:51 pm
The song just reminds me of how incredible Devin's vocal range and vocal capabilities are! :o
He can do everything from Physicist to straight up opera; and everything in between! Quiet, loud, soft, vibrato, growly, beautiful - I don't think there's any kind of singing he can't do.

So I think Ki is a good representation of his range. If I played Ki for someone who hadn't heard Townsend, and then played Namaste or Ziltoidia Attaxx!! for said person, they would never know it was the same guy. Know what I'm sayin? Amazing track and amazing CD for sure.
#207062 by mushroom
Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:10 pm
The best song i heard in a long time
#207138 by daneulephus
Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:19 am
Zyprexa wrote: It's very close to passing out Hide Nowhere as my second favourite and moving up a rank. Time will tell!

Holy shit I guess I am not alone in my love for Hide Nowhere! Thanks dude....I love this forum. Makes me feel like I belong. :D

I love the part in the second verse...."People talk about...."

Oh yeah....and the song Ki is obviously a masterpiece. I will never forget feeling that exact same way, like "Yup, heard this part".....and then looking at Ryan in disbelief as the song started building and i heard the Devy falsetto "Gaia" part. Genius.
#207218 by Roddy
Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:29 pm
daneulephus wrote:
Zyprexa wrote: It's very close to passing out Hide Nowhere as my second favourite and moving up a rank. Time will tell!

Holy shit I guess I am not alone in my love for Hide Nowhere! Thanks dude....I love this forum. Makes me feel like I belong. :D

I love the part in the second verse...."People talk about...."

Oh yeah....and the song Ki is obviously a masterpiece. I will never forget feeling that exact same way, like "Yup, heard this part".....and then looking at Ryan in disbelief as the song started building and i heard the Devy falsetto "Gaia" part. Genius.

Far from alone. Hide Nowhere would be in my top 10 too....
#207223 by Fler
Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:31 pm
One hell of a pinnacle to say the least...
#207331 by gendralman
Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:36 pm
This thread = absolutely.

Ki, Hide Nowhere, Om, Down and Under.

Anything with layered chanty vocals, Dev's best trademark.

Also, the "la la la la" part at the end of Force Fed. Orgasmic!