Face your chaos, know who you are!
#276938 by Fjar
Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 pm
barackobaka wrote:Ki is lonely, beatiful and has this subtle feeling of quiet self-discovery and resolution.

This is precisely how I'd describe it.
#280466 by psychotic
Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:56 am
I'm beginning to wonder, at this point, if the whole DTP thing is really supposed to be Devin displaying each of his most obvious traits with each album, but without abandoning the others. For instance, Deconstruction brings out the heavy side as well as his sense of humor, but at the same time doesn't abandon meaning. Ghost shows his atmospheric side without giving up its own brand of heaviness or fun. Addicted is heavy and has meaning, but is also poppy and fun in it's own right. Ki, well, it's a heavy album in an emotional sense, the feel is just very heavy, but without being heavy as far as the ear goes. It brings solid and often fun melodies to the table, but it's also a very meaningful album, like Terria was.

Maybe I'm looking way too far into things. Either way, I really love this album for many of the same reasons that I loved Terria in the first place.
#280593 by mrbean667
Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:43 pm
Fjar wrote:
barackobaka wrote:Ki is lonely, beatiful and has this subtle feeling of quiet self-discovery and resolution.

This is precisely how I'd describe it.

That is so true. Ki is like the soundtrack for self-searching. After all, we are exhorted to "face your chaos, know who you are."
#282364 by Imperade
Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 pm
Hallo Bump

This is litterally my favorite album of Devin's.

It's just perfect to me. I mean, it's not like anything else he's made - even Ghost is EXTREMELY different from this, and it's the closest thing you have musically to it. Despite how different it is, it's just the right blend of control and suspense. Ki is like a guy who's been through alot, and he's trying his best to keep his cool, but it feels any moment he might crack and turn into something dark... but he maintains his control and resolve.

It's very inspiring, and no matter what, helps me get though every day of my life.

So I thank you Devin for making music an emotionally connecting thing to me again. Alot of music can't seem to do that for me, but you always seem able to.

/kiss ass mode disengaged
#291893 by Malikarcanum
Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:54 am
barackobaka wrote:Ki has this subtle feeling of quiet self-discovery and resolution.

100% agree.

Ki is by far my favorite album by Devy, and one of my favorite albums ever, for that very reason. I have more of a personal connection to this album than just about any other. I tend to be in that mindset of self reflection & discovery quite a lot, and Ki is the absolute perfect soundtrack for that.

I find it hard to connect to a lot of Metal albums, like Strapping records for instance, on that level because I don't experience the intensity of emotion, whatever one it may be, that usually brings about that kind of music, whereas Ki is perfectly on my level: Calm, mellow, does get ramped up sometimes, but always pulls back before exploding.

In particular, Terminal & Coast have always been rather special to me.
#302670 by rgx612a
Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:29 pm
It's my favourite out of all the devin townsend project albums, that's for sure. It's a very honest album from Devin.