Hey! You're awake!
#184189 by sj_2150
Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:21 am
The Dev wrote:Godflesh

oh god im gonna cream all over my computer screen :shock:

any chance thats a dev and justin broadrick collaboration? :)
#184197 by WizardJoe
Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:09 am
The Dev wrote:This one has got lots of colors, purples, black, white, red, yellow...lots of fun.

I'm relatively new to this idea of colo(u)rs for Devin albums - but I've always had certain ones in mind for various albums. Very green/ bluish grey for Terria, deep blue for Ocean Machine etc - probably just influenced by the covers but there is a definite subconscious feel that I pick up.

So my question is this - which colours has the man described the previous albums as, and what would you see them as?
#184199 by Devymetalnut
Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:55 am
This news is so cool, it really made my day to hear that Ki has been finished but now this awesome news so soon?
So Ki is going to be mainly mellow, is Addicted Ki's angry little sister maybe?
#184202 by Amber
Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:15 am
WizardJoe wrote:
The Dev wrote:This one has got lots of colors, purples, black, white, red, yellow...lots of fun.

I'm relatively new to this idea of colo(u)rs for Devin albums - but I've always had certain ones in mind for various albums. Very green/ bluish grey for Terria, deep blue for Ocean Machine etc - probably just influenced by the covers but there is a definite subconscious feel that I pick up.

So my question is this - which colours has the man described the previous albums as, and what would you see them as?

The colours things, is about Devins synthesia, (I most likely spelt that wrong) It's where you see colours from sound. Can also occur with words and numbers. :D
I think anyway, I could be entirely wrong :P

I don't know what colours his previous albums are though, sorry I can be no help there.
#184207 by WizardJoe
Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:59 am
Amber wrote:The colours things, is about Devins synthesia, (I most likely spelt that wrong) It's where you see colours from sound.

Oooo reading about it on wiki, the "narrow-band sound to colour" type sounds exactly like what I was trying to describe for my experiences - it is especially prominent to me in the music I write and record myself, I can't help but feel extremely potent colours, differently for all of my projects. I'm pleased there's a term for this phenomenon, and that's it's not just me talking bollocks :D
#184209 by kekle3
Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:14 am
Hmm.. Is this album one of those with "funny voices, sounds and nonsense" in it?

Im not fond of those :P Thing I didn't like about ziltoid was the talking parts.. Not into fun music.. A Punky Bruster wasen't my cup of tea either..

...But then again, who cares what I like or don't :P
#184215 by Amber
Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:42 am
WizardJoe wrote:
Amber wrote:The colours things, is about Devins synthesia, (I most likely spelt that wrong) It's where you see colours from sound.

Oooo reading about it on wiki, the "narrow-band sound to colour" type sounds exactly like what I was trying to describe for my experiences - it is especially prominent to me in the music I write and record myself, I can't help but feel extremely potent colours, differently for all of my projects. I'm pleased there's a term for this phenomenon, and that's it's not just me talking bollocks :D

Heehee cool. I don't think I have it so much my self. I can imagine it if I close my eyes, but it's meant to be a completely automatic response.
On the other hand though. I see everything in a film. I can put pretty much anything I read or listen too into a series of images, even full moving ones. :D And it's completely automatic.

It's not so great though when people say of gory events. I feel queasy kinda easily. :P

It may be a strange question, but do you have a particular colour that your favour, when writing music? :D (This can go to both you and Dev, seeing as you both have it. :D )
#184220 by Ike
Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:25 am
The Dev wrote:Addicted
Waveform
Universe In A Ball
Godflesh
Dinosaurs
Only Human
Mortal Combat

(...)

purples, black, white, red, yellow...lots of fun.

just tried to sketch that out. looks very much like "everything's allowed!" to me. also, silly and dangerous, along with the song titles. very cool!
and LA, isn't that where city was recorded, back in the day? - awesome.
#184225 by WizardJoe
Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:01 pm
Amber wrote:
WizardJoe wrote:
Amber wrote:It may be a strange question, but do you have a particular colour that your favour, when writing music? :D (This can go to both you and Dev, seeing as you both have it. :D )

Hmm, it very much depends on my mood, (not to say I aim to write music to fit a particular colour, rather the other way round). If I'm in an easier mood, friendlier and more optimistic, the music I write just strikes me as very light blue, a very flat image. Even if I write grindcore in this mood, with a very similar style to my usual efforts, it will definitely come across to me as a completely different colour, (although it will sound pretty much the same to other people). If I'm more agitated and uncomfortable (which I often am when writing music with my bandmate in his cramped house) it will appear to me as more purple upon relistening, there is definitely a stronger, more potent, swirling sort of image to it. Again, the musical style sounds very much the same, even at times to me - but it looks different.

I never really write music when I'm pissed off, though I feel now that I am voicing these until-today subconscious thoughts, that it would be an interesting personal experiment for me to try out :)

Interestingly, when listening to the music of others, the colours often change slightly upon relistening, although there are a few albums/artists that I can readily name which have not: Ocean Machine is always as I have described, a very deep blue. Akercocke is always matte black. Mithras is always a swirling purple and green, and their song "Psyrens" is possibly the strongest and best example of this that I can think of.
#184232 by Devy, spelled Devy!
Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:49 pm
Leechmaster wrote:Christ, you weren't kidding about the 4 albums this year.. We'll all pitch in and send you a loads of KitKats when you're finished! :D Cheers, yet again, for keeping us all so well informed!

AND our money - he'd probably appreciate that too 8)

Yeah I like the idea of a song called "Dinosaurs" as well. I can only imagine what that's going to sound like .... :shock:
#184242 by BrunoN
Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:52 pm
Devy, spelled Devy! wrote:
Leechmaster wrote:Christ, you weren't kidding about the 4 albums this year.. We'll all pitch in and send you a loads of KitKats when you're finished! :D Cheers, yet again, for keeping us all so well informed!

AND our money - he'd probably appreciate that too 8)

Yeah I like the idea of a song called "Dinosaurs" as well. I can only imagine what that's going to sound like .... :shock:

I secretly hope for "Sharks With Lasers" as a bonus track. Or something.
#184252 by Ike
Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:02 pm
BrunoN wrote:I secretly hope for "Sharks With Lasers" as a bonus track. Or something.

the song titles immediately made me think of this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... genumber=1
#184260 by FFLinchpin
Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 pm
i have synesthisia as well. ive always seen colors and numbers when i hear music, but just recently discovered that it actually has a name. Sometimes it will even make me dislike a song if it provokes an ugly color lol.

For me, Stagnant is yellow, Gaia is dark brown, Bastard is black, Christeen is white and pink (i dont like pink, but i love that song) Hyperdrive is like electric green.... To name a few. They all have colors, but im not going to name them all. Id like to know which colors each song is for Devin