Hey! You're awake!
#211744 by The Dev
Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:31 am
'm also really interested in what the new age album shall sound like! Ki was so refreshing

..it'll be what I've wanted to do for years.

Addicted and Deconstruction are pretty LOUD records...not alot of release. Like better versions of the old material. Some may not dig after Ki.
#211746 by Cg138
Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:35 am
What's next? modeling gigs? that mug is positively GQ.
#211748 by theoryman
Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:55 am
The Dev wrote:
'm also really interested in what the new age album shall sound like! Ki was so refreshing

..it'll be what I've wanted to do for years.

I heard you say in an interview that you felt you had to add some heavier parts to Ki so it would appeal to more of your fans. I hope you don't make any such concessions on the last one. If you're going to go new agey, go all the way! Be self indulgent.
#211754 by Deathcom7000
Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:47 pm
Diggin the jacket. Im curious though as to what instrument the bird plays on the album
#211757 by hairbearbunch
Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:09 pm
I see thoughts are already on the next 'Beginning', (of course).
I think it was the new age artist Paul Horn, played some tracks in the Great Pyramid. And looking up youtube clips inside it, the audio is, well it's technical, metaphysically. Anyways, if you know anyone heading there, or have a tech expert, recommend sourcing some white noise tracks there, I could recommend certain chambers. Do you use white noise tracks? How do you source them? Like that bit in the movie '24 hour party people',
"Now I'm recording Tony fucking Martin".
#211767 by mineralinsulated
Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:23 pm
I'm happy if theres nothing heavy on 4, i'm still diggin the hummer, think i like it more than ki, sorta.
#211768 by JuZ
Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:59 pm
The Dev wrote:NOTHING heavy on 4.

Ok, my curiosity is now officially piqued. Looking forward to any hints as to what direction it will be taking, given it sounds like you've had a longstanding desire to make the record. Understand it's probably still pretty embryonic, but y'know... it's our job to be curious!

As for the no-heavy thing, great to hear you're just going for it and not holding back just to keep certain fans happy... and the hardcore metal-only people either won't like it anyway, or would be used to the idea after Ki. Meh. :wink:
#211771 by Dewy
Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:12 pm
JuZ wrote:

Ok, my curiosity is now officially piqued. Looking forward to any hints as to what direction it will be taking, given it sounds like you've had a longstanding desire to make the record. Understand it's probably still pretty embryonic, but y'know... it's our job to be curious!

As for the no-heavy thing, great to hear you're just going for it and not holding back just to keep certain fans happy... and the hardcore metal-only people either won't like it anyway, or would be used to the idea after Ki. Meh. :wink:

I think an acoustic album would be cool, ala the bootleg acoustic from like 2000. Plus some bonus covers of Hide Nowhere, Noisy Pink Bubbles, Night, etc would be awesome.
#211778 by kettle
Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:38 am
Dewy wrote:
JuZ wrote:

I think an acoustic album would be cool, ala the bootleg acoustic from like 2000. Plus some bonus covers of Hide Nowhere, Noisy Pink Bubbles, Night, etc would be awesome.

Personally, I would be disappointed if the 'acoustic' record was just devy back catalogue being banged out on an acoustic guitar.

I want to hear compositions written to express the softer end of guitar and vocal capabilities and generally be excruciatingly beautiful on the ear. It could still have electric guitar on there too but it would definitely be from another world. I'd like 'where were you' type sustain (jeff beck) and dave gilmour types of overdrive. smooth and clear tones that make me feel a lump in my throat and that if I'm not careful I might feel tears well up; not just tears of happiness or sadness, both of those as I listen to the whole CD.

I like the part in Trainfire 4:57 - that kind of moment please. Actually I think the Ki tones are beautiful, in fact Beck and Gilmour would do well to emulate devy rather than it being the other way around.

hmm, I better stop, before I specify too much in my head and make enormous amounts of work for devy to live up to.

I'm gonna be impressed however it turns out - that's what happens when devy puts effort into his work. I'll love it.
#211783 by FUBAR
Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:35 am

I think for the 4th one, you should just head into the Canadian woods and record acoustic noodling, complete with the natural atmospheric ambience of the forest in the background.

Like the 'So be it 3' youtube vid.

I can imagine that being very relaxing and beautiful, cool concept aswell ;)
#211785 by mEh!
Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:19 am
kettle wrote:
Dewy wrote:
JuZ wrote:

Personally, I would be disappointed if the 'acoustic' record was just devy back catalogue being banged out on an acoustic guitar.

I want to hear compositions written to express the softer end of guitar and vocal capabilities and generally be excruciatingly beautiful on the ear. It could still have electric guitar on there too but it would definitely be from another world. I'd like 'where were you' type sustain (jeff beck) and dave gilmour types of overdrive. smooth and clear tones that make me feel a lump in my throat and that if I'm not careful I might feel tears well up; not just tears of happiness or sadness, both of those as I listen to the whole CD.

That's not very cool of you in my opinion... Devin is making music that HE likes. He says it on practically every interview I’ve heard, and as a listener I think it's great, because it gives me an image of what the musician felt and thought the moment he wrote that specific piece of music. It’s great for me as a musician to hear how he does it. I think the Devlab and the Hummer turned out AMAZING and I love them. I’d say they’re on my top favorite ambient albums. And I’m still in the process of figuring out the code in "Arc".. Devin is an artist, let him do his art the way he wants to do it without poking him on his back. :) Or i don't know, have i missed something?..
#211805 by chiller
Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm
Awesome! Thanks for making another album. :D
#211813 by kettle
Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:16 pm
mEh! wrote:
kettle wrote:
Dewy wrote:
JuZ wrote:

That's not very cool of you in my opinion... Devin is making music that HE likes. He says it on practically every interview I’ve heard, and as a listener I think it's great, because it gives me an image of what the musician felt and thought the moment he wrote that specific piece of music. It’s great for me as a musician to hear how he does it. I think the Devlab and the Hummer turned out AMAZING and I love them. I’d say they’re on my top favorite ambient albums. And I’m still in the process of figuring out the code in "Arc".. Devin is an artist, let him do his art the way he wants to do it without poking him on his back. :) Or i don't know, have i missed something?..

Which bit isn't cool? ...not wanting to hear 'devy metal' strummed on an acoustic guitar (like the official bootleg acoustic tracks) or expressing an opinion of wanting to hear excruciatingly beautiful songs played on acoustic and clean electric?

maybe you didn't mean my comment.

toodles
#211818 by mEh!
Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:51 pm
kettle wrote:Which bit isn't cool? ...not wanting to hear 'devy metal' strummed on an acoustic guitar (like the official bootleg acoustic tracks) or expressing an opinion of wanting to hear excruciatingly beautiful songs played on acoustic and clean electric?

maybe you didn't mean my comment.

toodles

No, keep on wanting to hear what ever you want to hear. Im cool with that. What i tried to say is that maybe we should leave an artist make his work on his own. :?
But as i said, did i miss anything? Like if Devin asked for any advices..?