Hey! You're awake!
#222963 by gurp13
Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:12 pm
SupraKarma wrote:The Lords of Metal review is abnoxiously stupid. Claiming that Addicted features the best songwriting ever by Devin, and then says the standout track is Hyperdrive. :lol:

I haven't read many reviews, but so far they're all written by "Devin fans" which for me equals instant discredit. I much rather read a review of someone unbiased who might get "converted" by Devins music.

Brother, I think you're twisting the LOM review's words. I thought it said that it featured "some" of the best songwriting to date. It then goes on to talk about several of the songs, then later in the review says that "Hyperdrive!" is a standout track because it gave him goosebumps. The reviewer also mentions that it was on Ziltoid first.

So, I'm not really sure what your grief is with this review. Is it that Hyperdrive! is a remake and this reviewer likes it the best? I am honestly confused.

And, to be honest, I don't think a fan of Devin should instantly have their review discredited. I mean, really? Fans can be some of the harshest critics!
#223414 by FTB
Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:48 am
My review: One of the most revolutionary, amazing and powerful albums, of any kind, ever. I'm serious, too.
#223517 by Nightshine
Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:20 pm
FTB wrote:My review: One of the most revolutionary, amazing and powerful albums, of any kind, ever. I'm serious, too.

Hello fanboy, my name is Nightshine.
#224362 by Tivic Nolaxstorm
Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:29 am
Devin Townsend is always amazing Mad Metaller.
#224634 by ohmk
Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:33 pm
Nightshine, decent review, but if you hate your voice, you don't have to yell 'addicted' or 'it's addicting!' and we both might not mind it as much :D

Only thing I really didn't like about your review was the jab at Ki...Ki is FANTASTIC for what it is.
#224679 by Nightshine
Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:34 am
ohmk wrote:Nightshine, decent review, but if you hate your voice, you don't have to yell 'addicted' or 'it's addicting!' and we both might not mind it as much :D

Only thing I really didn't like about your review was the jab at Ki...Ki is FANTASTIC for what it is.

I'm a critic. I'm not supposed to say I love every album. I really did not like Ki for a multitude of reasons, and thought it was one of the year's weakest albums (however, it's better than every single album released in 2008, I can tell you that much).

However, looking back at that review, and the others...wow. Not even I want to watch them.
#224687 by Wander
Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:37 am
Nightshine wrote: (however, it's better than every single album released in 2008, I can tell you that much).

2008 got plenty of good albums. Just as many as this year, I think.
#224708 by Nightshine
Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:38 pm
Wander wrote:
Nightshine wrote: (however, it's better than every single album released in 2008, I can tell you that much).

2008 got plenty of good albums. Just as many as this year, I think.

Name 10.
#224712 by Thebruce88
Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:59 pm
thought it was one of the year's weakest albums (however, it's better than every single album released in 2008, I can tell you that much).

Please explain this statement. You say two things that are exact opposites in the same sentence.
#224714 by swervedriver
Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:20 pm
Thebruce88 wrote:
thought it was one of the year's weakest albums (however, it's better than every single album released in 2008, I can tell you that much).

Please explain this statement. You say two things that are exact opposites in the same sentence.

Welcome to 2009.
#224715 by Estbarul
Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:29 pm
Some good albums that come into my mind:

Traced in the Air - Cynic
Diffusion - 7 for 4
010111001 - Ayreon
Reality Dream - Riverside
Watershed - Opeth
#224731 by Wander
Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:04 pm
Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound
Mostly Autumn - Glass Shadows
Opeth - Watershed
Cynic - Traced in Air
Steven Wilson - Insurgentes (well, the deluxe version is 2008, normal release 09)
No-man - Schoolyard Ghosts
Moonsorrow - Tulimyrsky
Ikuinen Kaamos - Closure
Ass - My Get Up and Go Just Got Up and Went
Enslaved - Vertebrae

Ok, that's 10 albums. But in fact some of the albums I was, in my mind, counting to be 08 releases turned out to be 07s, but yeah, I can honestly say that I enjoy 10 or more albums from 2008. Hah!

But yeah, 2009 may be better overall. Big thanks to Dev for it too, but I don't think 08 was really anything much worse than other recent years.