Hey! You're awake!
#225393 by anthonyslayer7
Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:17 pm
my personal review:15 out of 10.

devin outdid himself this album. Ki was great, epic and mindblowing to me. course, every album is epic. ziltoid, synchestra, terria, physicist, etc etc. but i always thought that accelerated evolution was his best, and it tops my favorite album of all time.

but now Addicted is out. and now i'm starting to reconsider it. its a 2 way tie with the same musician/godly canadian genuis wizard himself. so thats saying alot.

this album made me feel Gods prescence, not sure if anyone else in here is going to make fun of me or whatever, nor do i truly give 2 shits, but i felt God through Addicted. its very overwhelming for me, 20, college student, musician, trying to make ends meat with this shit economy i'm dealing with in my black hole-like country (WA state has an increasing unemployment rate). but despite all that, Addicted made me feel good inside, just like Accelerated Evolution did. no matter what shitty day i had or what trial and tribulation i'm going through, Devin delivers. and i hate to think where i would be without music in general, let alone without Devins.

honestly, no matter how much i don't like grammy's and despite my personal views on music award shows and shit in that nature, i feel like this album deserves some serious recognition. not saying every nook and cranny should be blasting Devin's music on tv, used in commercials, used as trailer music for a new 'reality tv' show, but i think that this album sends a message that everyone needs to focus on.

in other words:buy the cd. listen to it over and over and over and over and over again. because its 'Addicting'. (harr harr hee harr harr). pay attention to every detail in the lyrics, the rhythms, the amazing vocals, guitar work, synth, drums on this beautifal piece of art. and love one another. too much negative energy flowing throughout this planet.

We are one and we have found they only wanted you around
To hold it down, so hold your ground,
We won't be here forever!
We are young and we have fun and all we've found in being around is 'All and all' and 'Holy cows'
While things keep getting heavy!
Hang on to your man and
Hang on to your woman and
HANG ON!!!

devin is the man.
#225422 by Nightshine
Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:25 pm
anthonyslayer7 wrote:my personal review:15 out of 10.

devin outdid himself this album. Ki was great, epic and mindblowing to me. course, every album is epic. ziltoid, synchestra, terria, physicist, etc etc. but i always thought that accelerated evolution was his best, and it tops my favorite album of all time.

but now Addicted is out. and now i'm starting to reconsider it. its a 2 way tie with the same musician/godly canadian genuis wizard himself. so thats saying alot.

this album made me feel Gods prescence, not sure if anyone else in here is going to make fun of me or whatever, nor do i truly give 2 shits, but i felt God through Addicted. its very overwhelming for me, 20, college student, musician, trying to make ends meat with this shit economy i'm dealing with in my black hole-like country (WA state has an increasing unemployment rate). but despite all that, Addicted made me feel good inside, just like Accelerated Evolution did. no matter what shitty day i had or what trial and tribulation i'm going through, Devin delivers. and i hate to think where i would be without music in general, let alone without Devins.

honestly, no matter how much i don't like grammy's and despite my personal views on music award shows and shit in that nature, i feel like this album deserves some serious recognition. not saying every nook and cranny should be blasting Devin's music on tv, used in commercials, used as trailer music for a new 'reality tv' show, but i think that this album sends a message that everyone needs to focus on.

in other words:buy the cd. listen to it over and over and over and over and over again. because its 'Addicting'. (harr harr hee harr harr). pay attention to every detail in the lyrics, the rhythms, the amazing vocals, guitar work, synth, drums on this beautifal piece of art. and love one another. too much negative energy flowing throughout this planet.

We are one and we have found they only wanted you around
To hold it down, so hold your ground,
We won't be here forever!
We are young and we have fun and all we've found in being around is 'All and all' and 'Holy cows'
While things keep getting heavy!
Hang on to your man and
Hang on to your woman and
HANG ON!!!

devin is the man.

This review reeks of Devfan bias.
#225438 by Thebruce88
Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:21 pm
This is hovering around an 8.5 or 9 out of 10 for me. It seems like Dev has a penchant for putting momentum killing songs together in a row (at least, momentum killing for me: Heaven Send/Aint Never Gonna Win/Winter really hurt Ki), and did it again on Addicted with Hyperdrive and Resolve. Straight up, this new version of Hyperdrive makes a fucking mockery of the original, Anneke's voice really kills this one, and Resolve is great up until he says "I, I, I, I, I, ..." ad nauseum. Otherwise, my only problem is "Walk on home boy!" in Awake, which sounds brutally out of place.

Regardless, every other song fucking SLAYS, and the first minute or so of Resolve is fucking fantastic. The vocal melodies here are easily some of the best of Devin's career, the drums are relentless, and for the most part, Anneke's voice adds a nice touch (though I hope she won't be on any future albums...).

Great fucking job Devin, two incredible albums in the span of less than a year. And to think Metallica took some 16 years to put out a mediocre album, which made stupid amounts of money... with consistent quality like this, Devin deserves so much more...
#225439 by Octillus
Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:30 pm
Well okay mr. high and mighty (nightshine) on the official dev fan forum who freaks out about people not paying attention to his reviews (sorry man, I know we've traded civil comments back and forth), why do you need to tear apart what other people feel about it?

OBVIOUSLY WE HAVE FAN BIAS.

To be quite honest, there should probably be a separate thread for fan review and the professional (i.e. not random dudes with youtube accounts, I mean publications or professional broadcasters) reviews, but just the same I haven't seen anything less than 3/5 (in the case of the thrash one with the 6 scale, it's pretty clear that the 6 is for exceptional albums) or 8/10.

So where was that worthwhile non-bitter discussion? You know the part upon reflection where you changed your mind?

Oh and for me it's been kind of a curve. All still in the very good department, but I loved it the first few spins, went down because I got tired of the first two tracks, and then straight back up again after hearing it through my car stereo system (which is admittedly bitchin')

It's no Ocean Machine, but I love it a lot, and probably my favorite piece from front to back since Alien.

Oh btw, I'm a Dev fan, so I'm biased.

bruce, Resolve was one of the songs that I actually came around again on after giving it some more time. Obviously we're on differing ends for Hyperdrive, but I like both versions quite a bit.

Oh, and not that anyone cares since I'm BIASED ;) I'd probably say it's a 9.5.
#225449 by anthonyslayer7
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 pm
call me crazy but i just know a fantastic album when i hear it, let alone feel it.
#225471 by Wander
Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:59 am
Nightshine wrote:This review reeks of Devfan bias.

So what, dude? You seriously need to shut up with your anti-Devfan bias. It's much more annoying than someone (over) praising the album.

I don't know what you are trying to be. A critic maybe. Pisses me off anyway. It's a Devin Townsend forum, you know?

And you know what? Some people may seriously like the album THAT MUCH without it having anything to do with the fact that it's by Devin.

That's what happened to me with Ki. I seriously hadn't listened to him much in 2 years when I heard that his new album leaked. So I downloaded it and just got addicted to it. I think I remember you saying that you weren't that much into Ki either (as you apparently aren't that much into Addicted either, now), but some people really can be! You better believe it. I am.

I think you should quit that "I'm a smarter Devin listener than you guys, cause I recognize more flaws in his music" thing.

Sorry for rant.
#225499 by vt1100
Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:42 am
Wander wrote:

So what, dude? You seriously need to shut up with your anti-Devfan bias. It's much more annoying than someone (over) praising the album.

I don't know what you are trying to be. A critic maybe. Pisses me off anyway. It's a Devin Townsend forum, you know?

And you know what? Some people may seriously like the album THAT MUCH without it having anything to do with the fact that it's by Devin.

That's what happened to me with Ki. I seriously hadn't listened to him much in 2 years when I heard that his new album leaked. So I downloaded it and just got addicted to it. I think I remember you saying that you weren't that much into Ki either (as you apparently aren't that much into Addicted either, now), but some people really can be! You better believe it. I am.

I think you should quit that "I'm a smarter Devin listener than you guys, cause I recognize more flaws in his music" thing.

Sorry for rant.

You just fed troll....
#225502 by ohmk
Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:54 am
Nightshine wrote:
This review reeks of Devfan bias.

Says the guy that has a youtube video review in which he sounds like a school girl :lol:
#225507 by Thebruce88
Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:09 am
I suppose you can't really fault someone on DEVIN TOWNSENDS OWN FUCKING FORUMS to have a biased opinion. I mean, yeah the review did reek of "devin is god, I want to lick his shoes" type bias, but meh, so what? He's not publishing it in the globe and fucking mail. It's just his honest opinion, based off where he is in life, of what Devin's music does for him.
#225525 by Wander
Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:26 am
vt1100 wrote:
You just fed troll....

Sorry... Even if I usually try to avoid it, being pissed beforehand makes me lose control for a bit when I read complete bullshit.
#225531 by Pigmash
Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:54 am
Thebruce88 wrote:Regardless, every other song fucking SLAYS, and the first minute or so of Resolve is fucking fantastic. The vocal melodies here are easily some of the best of Devin's career

Was that the vocal melodies in the first minute of Resolve or in general? Because the sleeve notes say its directly influenced by the Wildhearts for a reason... same vocal melody...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qt2y2oDlG4
#225547 by vt1100
Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:06 am
Wander wrote:
vt1100 wrote:
You just fed troll....

Sorry... Even if I usually try to avoid it, being pissed beforehand makes me lose control for a bit when I read complete bullshit.

Wonders of internet :wink: (But I agree with your opinion)
#225554 by Nightshine
Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:33 am
Octillus wrote:Well okay mr. high and mighty (nightshine) on the official dev fan forum who freaks out about people not paying attention to his reviews (sorry man, I know we've traded civil comments back and forth), why do you need to tear apart what other people feel about it?

Because I think that people should be giving more thought into their thoughts rather than go "OMG DEVIN R TEH BEST". I'm a fan as much as any other person, but for me, no album has been perfect. Not even the blessed Terria or even Ocean Machine. Heck, no album has been perfect. So I think 10/10 reviews (or something as stupid as 15/10) are nonexistent. Like humans, music is bound to be flawed.

This is not an ego trip or me acting high and mighty. This is me having a seperate opinion. Don't like it? Go join the Republican party.

Octillus wrote:OBVIOUSLY WE HAVE FAN BIAS.

Doesn't stop me from criticising the album.

Wander wrote:

Sorry for rant.

I disagree with you on it, and I don't think I'm smarter for finding flaws, I think that I put more thought into it by finding the good and the bad. Addicted is by no means a bad album, and just under Anno Domini High Definition and Part the Second for album of the year (for me.)

ohmk wrote:
Says the guy that has a youtube video review in which he sounds like a school girl :lol:

How old are you? Did I go up to you like an immature prick on the internet and insult you by any means?

My voice is something of which I don't have a high pride in, but you really didn't need to say that now did you?

I think I have a right to my opinion, but if you want to be like that, here it goes:

Ever since the beginning of this thread you've been whining like a 7 year old who didn't get a Nintendo Wii for Christmas because of the fact that I have an opposing opinion to the general consensus to the board's opinion on Devin's work. Sure, I like it. I like it a lot. It doesn't mean that you whine, moan and bitch when I don't like something as opposed to another thing.

"You have shitty tastes in music"

"You sound like a schoolgirl"

I'm going to kindly ask you to consider what you post before you post it. I want to be a pleasant guy, I really do. It's really nice to see Devin posting news updates to us, and he has some really neat insights. However, it doesn't seem as if the board members like it when an insight is different from their own. This isn't trolling, this is expressing my free speech, something embedded into the Canadian Constitution.

If this is the Devin Townsend fanbase, then I really don't want to be a part of it. Prove to me that I'm not amongst a bunch of pretentious little conservative assholes. It's really upsetting to me.
#225561 by swervedriver
Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:54 am
Nightshine wrote:I don't think I'm smarter for finding flaws, I think that I put more thought into it by finding the good and the bad.

Saying you put more thought into your opinion implies that you think others have not, hence the high-and-mighty comments. You say you want people to respect your opinion, yet fail to respect others as you deem them 'thoughtless'. You even go out of your way to pick some opinions and call the people who gave them 'mindless fanboys'. Ok, I added the mindless part, but it speaks from the tone of your posts.

You're very welcome to have a different opinion (I'd even say, encouraged), but do keep in mind where you are expressing it. You already acknowledge that people here feel very strongly about Dev's work (I'm not going to call it worship), so by bluntly putting that they're just mindless fanboys who cannot form a well-thought opinion, yeah you will insult them.

I have no intention of joining this argument, but I felt like pointing that out before this thing escalates.

EDIT- So, Addicted, quite the album huh?
#225563 by Nightshine
Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:10 am
swervedriver wrote:
Nightshine wrote:I don't think I'm smarter for finding flaws, I think that I put more thought into it by finding the good and the bad.

Saying you put more thought into your opinion implies that you think others have not, hence the high-and-mighty comments. You say you want people to respect your opinion, yet fail to respect others as you deem them 'thoughtless'. You even go out of your way to pick some opinions and call the people who gave them 'mindless fanboys'. Ok, I added the mindless part, but it speaks from the tone of your posts.

You're very welcome to have a different opinion (I'd even say, encouraged), but do keep in mind where you are expressing it. You already acknowledge that people here feel very strongly about Dev's work (I'm not going to call it worship), so by bluntly putting that they're just mindless fanboys who cannot form a well-thought opinion, yeah you will insult them.

I have no intention of joining this argument, but I felt like pointing that out before this thing escalates.

EDIT- So, Addicted, quite the album huh?

You're completely right and I respect your thoughts. Maybe I was being rash, and I apologize. However, it's no need for insults and remarks like that.

Addicted though, yes, as I stated, is behind ADHD and Part the Second for album of the year for me.