Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:28 pm
rfarby wrote:
Jormungandr wrote:
Nightshine wrote:
Wander wrote:Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound
Mostly Autumn - Glass Shadows
Opeth - Watershed
Cynic - Traced in Air
Steven Wilson - Insurgentes (well, the deluxe version is 2008, normal release 09)
No-man - Schoolyard Ghosts
Moonsorrow - Tulimyrsky
Ikuinen Kaamos - Closure
Ass - My Get Up and Go Just Got Up and Went
Enslaved - Vertebrae

Ok, that's 10 albums. But in fact some of the albums I was, in my mind, counting to be 08 releases turned out to be 07s, but yeah, I can honestly say that I enjoy 10 or more albums from 2008. Hah!

But yeah, 2009 may be better overall. Big thanks to Dev for it too, but I don't think 08 was really anything much worse than other recent years.

Hm. That's funny...because you just claimed that Watershed, Insurgentes and Schoolyard Ghosts were credible albums.

I'm sticking to my opinion, because you named 3 of the year's atrocities in albums which are "good".

However, I'll give you Traced in Air.

How can you say watershed wasn't "good"? Just curious, that was a great album. Just what made it an atrocity? and if you say "not as much growling" so help me...

Watershed was good by many standards, but not by Opeth standards. It was the weakest album they did in a long time. It had almost no continuity. There were very few songs, or even parts of songs that caught and stuck in my head. Nothing jumped out out and said, "Hey this part is AWESOME!" There were very few good transitions either. There was a lot of jumping back and forth from heavy to mellow and mellow to heavy. Many of the songs, just as I got into them, they dropped dead. I love Opeth, and I feel they could have done more with Watershed.

First step:

(Fire Axe)
#225045 by ohmk
Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:37 pm
Axe a shitty drummer and Frederik a wanker? Okay, now I know why you don't like Ki...you don't have good taste.
#225046 by Thebruce88
Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:43 pm
I'm behind this guy, Watershed was fucking boring. Ghost Reveries was the first Opeth album that featured anything interesting, and Watershed was just a return to mediocrity.
#225051 by Nightshine
Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:01 pm
ohmk wrote:Axe a shitty drummer and Frederik a wanker? Okay, now I know why you don't like Ki...you don't have good taste.

Axe compared to Lopez, and Frederik compared to every other guitarist out there.
#225069 by rfarby
Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:26 pm
Thebruce88 wrote:I'm behind this guy, Watershed was fucking boring. Ghost Reveries was the first Opeth album that featured anything interesting, and Watershed was just a return to mediocrity.

Ghost Reveries was definitely their best work. I'm not sure I agree with everything else being mediocre. They need Lopez to return on drums. I like the addition of the keyboards a few albums ago but Akerfeldt seems married to it these days.
#225087 by Jarmake
Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:03 pm
I love watershed. I think it's incredible album and it just gets better when played live. What comes to new dudes in opeth... The new guitarist is ok, but I liked Peter Lindgren more. Martin Axenrot was not too great on the last gig I saw. They had to slow down on some parts in few songs, because the drummer couldn't keep it up. And I thought Axenrot supposed to be fast and technical drummer.. Maybe a bad day?
#225211 by ohmk
Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:29 pm
Thebruce88 wrote:I'm behind this guy, Watershed was fucking boring. Ghost Reveries was the first Opeth album that featured anything interesting, and Watershed was just a return to mediocrity.

I'd like to see your list of good albums if you put albums like Still Life and Damnation under the title 'mediocrity' :lol:
#225212 by ohmk
Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:41 pm
Nightshine wrote:
ohmk wrote:Axe a shitty drummer and Frederik a wanker? Okay, now I know why you don't like Ki...you don't have good taste.

Axe compared to Lopez, and Frederik compared to every other guitarist out there.

Lopez is in a league of his own, virtually no one besides maybe Gavin Harrison is in that league (obviously over-exaggerating, there are a lot of great drummers out there, it all comes down to preference). Axe can do a hell of a job still playing the old songs, and the new songs like Lotus Eater are great with him.

Frederik is a great guitarist...a step up from Peter. Peter fit Opeth well but Frederik is doing a fine job replacing him, just like Axe has. I don't even know why I replied to your posts...I must be bored.
#225227 by Roddy
Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:05 pm
Wow, came in here expecting to find Addicted reviews, but found only a debate about the relative merits of Opeth and Watershed. Interesting! (BTW, I LOVE Opeth. GR is my absolute favourite but I also find Watershed to be enthralling listening to. Probably my 3rd favourite after GR and BP)

Anyway, sorry if it's been posted, butv here's a very nice review of addicted:
http://metalreview.com/Reviews/5336/Dev ... icted.aspx
#225260 by swervedriver
Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:21 am
Roddy wrote:Anyway, sorry if it's been posted, butv here's a very nice review of addicted:
http://metalreview.com/Reviews/5336/Dev ... icted.aspx

Indeed, those 2 are a good read. Totally agree with the second one there, even though I must add I feel more love for Universe than Resolve despite their 'shallowness'. Thanks for finding and posting those.
#225316 by vt1100
Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:55 am
Finnish music magazine Soundi reviewed Addicted in it's latest issue, 4/5 stars and very positive feedback overall. It says that Devin is Frank Zappa of heavy metal :mrgreen:
#225373 by Lolliklauer
Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:05 pm
German Rock Hard magazine gave it 8/10 (same reviewer who gave Physicist 9,5/10 a few years ago).