Hey! You're awake!
#225358 by Jormungandr
Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:18 pm
So, has anyone come across any references to earlier songs on Addicted like Dev is apt to do? Like on The way home the bit about "gray lines" like in Deadhead. There was another part where he sings "I won't be knocked down" that sounded familiar as well. Forgot which Addicted track this was on though. Anyone else find anything like this?
#225361 by Fjar
Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:28 pm
There's a line in 'Numbered!' that harks to 'Coast':

"I'm alright to fly!"
"I'm alright to go"

Hit me like a ton of bricks on the very first play. Love it!
#225387 by RobD
Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:06 pm
I can't help but think that in Awake at 0.53 in is a little nod to Planet Smasher/the bits where it may re-appear in Decon.
#225391 by Octillus
Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:13 pm
Jormungandr wrote:So, has anyone come across any references to earlier songs on Addicted like Dev is apt to do? Like on The way home the bit about "gray lines" like in Deadhead.

I said this in another thread, but I got a friend who goes to UBC. Gray Line's a bus in Vancouver.
#225402 by Jormungandr
Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:56 pm
Oh ya, that bit at .53 in awake does sound like planet smasher. I personally love how Devin does this with his music. It adds another layer to delve into and appreciate I think.
#225426 by TallNerdGuy
Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:42 pm
There seems to be a focus on the condescending use of "boy." It made multiple appearances throughout both Ki and Addicted, and I wouldn't be surprised if it showed up in Deconstruction, as well.
#225520 by catharsis
Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:52 am
ZiltoidiaDeFartDay wrote:
lemming wrote:Something about the way it bursts in with the vocals on "The waaaay home....." vs. "The waaaay it goes" on coast

Definitely think so, kind of connect the two.

yeah i was gonna say that too. that immediately jumped out at me. and the "get up, get up" part i thought was cool too.
#225570 by TallNerdGuy
Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:39 am
Fnargl wrote:The Way Home - "I wont be knocked down"
Synchronicity Freaks - "I wont be diluted"

Definitely. Maybe its just me, but the more I listen to The Way Home, the more I'm kind of reminded of the structure, rhythm, and clean guitar tone of Synchronicity Freaks (not in a bad way...but like its meant to be somewhat of a motif).

Also, does the Dev say "WHY SHE LEFT ALONE" in Synchronicity Freaks? And jumping off that, does he also say "SHE LEFT ME!" in the background at the very end of the new Hyperdrive?
#225571 by Matt08642
Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:47 am
TallNerdGuy wrote:

Definitely. Maybe its just me, but the more I listen to The Way Home, the more I'm kind of reminded of the structure, rhythm, and clean guitar tone of Synchronicity Freaks (not in a bad way...but like its meant to be somewhat of a motif).

Also, does the Dev say "WHY SHE LEFT ALONE" in Synchronicity Freaks? And jumping off that, does he also say "SHE LEFT ME!" in the background at the very end of the new Hyperdrive?

I think in both Hyperdrives he says "She loves me"
#225573 by swervedriver
Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:58 am
TallNerdGuy wrote:

In Synchronicity Freaks the line is most likely "Was she left alone?" The line in Hyperdrive is "She loves me". I doubt those two can be considered a reference to one another.