Hey! You're awake!
#226945 by King Ghidorah
Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:55 pm
Some clever chap has mixed the two songs together and apart from the odd drum flams here and there i think it sounds rather cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icERDvDi ... =rec-HM-rn
#226958 by Josiah Tobin
Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:51 pm
Neat! My favorite part about this is actually the drums. I loooooove the sound of layered live drums, or in this case, live drums + programmed drums. The sound of the very slight difference in timing between the two is just the coolest sound ever to my ears. Always secretly hoped Devin would try that technique on an album... I guess this is pretty close, hehe. :)

~Josiah
#226970 by swervedriver
Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:41 am
Thanks folks (and Dev)! Josiah, the timing on the drums isn't perfect because one version is still slightly faster than the other (although I'm having trouble telling which one myself). I based the ratio of slowing down the Addicted version on the position of the first and last bassdrum for both songs. Obviously this does not take into account the first few seconds with just the guitar intro (nor the outro, but that's not important in this case), but the guitar is much more smeared out if you look at the peak, the bassdrums are quite sharp so they're easier to pinpoint. Anyway, this resulted in a slightly different tempo for both versions, but made it easy for me to pick a spot and sync the two versions. The final difference is about 0.02 seconds I think, and I shifted one version by about 0.01 seconds to make the overall difference as small as possible. But of course you can hear flams all over the place. :P
#227028 by Blazingmonga
Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:08 am
Josiah Tobin wrote:The sound of the very slight difference in timing between the two is just the coolest sound ever to my ears

Your ears like the taste of fresh flam? Wham, flam, thank you mam? Collateral flammage?

Ahem.

Nice vid! Was waiting for somebody to do this.
#227123 by Josiah Tobin
Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:26 pm
Ah, is that what a flam is? Swervedriver: I think it may have more to do with the fact that one is played by a human and one is not. :) But regardless, it's hardly a bad thing-- I think it sounds amazing! "A Senile Animal" by The Melvins is another awesome example of the double drumming thingy, the drums are very natural and un-triggered on that album so it just sounds even more amazing and huge. I really wish it was used more often, it gives the sound so much more weight and substance, it's fantastic.

Actually, I think the drummer from Lamb of God doubles his tracks. I've heard very brief mention of it and if you listen carefully on some songs you can hear... erm... flams..? on the kick drum and such. But I digress :)

~Josiah
#227188 by ffian1
Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:30 am
I've watched this video loads, but I'd still love to have an uncompressed wav or something to get the full force of the beast.

Any chance swervy?

Thanks
#227207 by Josiah Tobin
Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:11 pm
Fnargl wrote:Kylesa have 2 drummers and it sounds awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_uecAA0M4

Yeah, that's the sound I'm talking about! :) Sounds kinda like they're channeling Grotus though, another two-drummer band I was actually about to mention. At the beginning of that song you linked I actually thought they were covering Brown.

~Josiah
#227286 by static2
Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:12 am
ffian1 wrote:I've watched this video loads, but I'd still love to have an uncompressed wav or something to get the full force of the beast.

Any chance swervy?

Thanks

this! yes! (but it's oh so illegal)
#227306 by swervedriver
Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:56 pm
static2 wrote:
ffian1 wrote:I've watched this video loads, but I'd still love to have an uncompressed wav or something to get the full force of the beast.

Any chance swervy?

Thanks

this! yes! (but it's oh so illegal)

Well, I'm not against it (although the Ziltoid Hyperdrive came from a somewhat low-quality rip of my CD and the Addicted version from the infamous leak, so full-force is probably out of the question). However, from my experience any mp3 upload of copyrighted material is usually removed rather quickly, as I've noticed with my Infinity remix uploads. So I'm willing to upload a decent-quality mp3 version somewhere, but I'd like for that to be more or less permanent (to prevent re-upload questions etc). Any ideas are welcome.