Hey! You're awake!
#230196 by Knucklehead
Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:02 am
I hope you folks can forgive a noob is this got placed in the wrong spot, but me and technology... :roll:

Anyway, a new interview with Devin focusing on Addicted is here It's a BIG one:

http://carlbegai.com/2009/12/31/devin-t ... n-machine/

(An excerpt from the piece is below).

There's also a portion of the same interview that was posted on the BW&BK site here, but isn't part of the story at the link above:

http://www.bravewords.com/news/129085

Clear as mud, huh? In any case, enjoy! :)

The excerpt:

Townsend does have a few “solo” moments; the title track and ‘Universe In A Ball’, which sound like the lighter side of SYL’s final album The New Black, and the balladic ‘Ih Ah’, which is too heavy to have appeared on Ki, more reminiscent of his Ocean Machine days.

“The thing with ‘Ih Ah’, I had three particular dreams during Addicted and ‘Ih Ah’ came to me in one of them,” he reveals. “It was playing to me in my dream, and I remember it being such an emotional experience hearing that. I woke up at 4:00am thinking ‘That’s my favourite song on the record… so I’d better get out of bed and fucking write it’ (laughs). So, I went to the studio at four in the morning and started writing the song, and by noon it was finished.”

Reactions to Addicted have been very positive in the wake of the confusion that surrounded Ki, but again, people who were hoping for a return to the beast within Townsend’s persona have been left out in the cold. For the time being. Addicted is a very positive, very upbeat record, flirting with pop and big dumb rock within the heavy passages that can be found.

“Somebody said the other day it’s like a heavy Ace Of Base album,” Townsend laughs. “For the people that get the shit scared out of them by the happy element of the record, they should remember that this is record #2. The next record, Deconstruction, I can’t even describe how off the scale it’s going to be, and that’s not necessarily negative either because the intention behind it is going to war with myself.”
#231162 by catharsis
Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:33 pm
ih-ah too heavy to appear on ki?? uh, what?
#231165 by Octillus
Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:47 pm
catharsis wrote:ih-ah too heavy to appear on ki?? uh, what?

Yeah that seems weird to me, more like it didn't fit the aesthetic of Ki... and also it came about existing long after Ki was released