Post your reviews, photos or videos of Dev's shows here! All tour dates included
#324181 by fragility
Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:04 am
Why stop at 4? How about every album? ;) seriously, from the outside, it looks like everything the big shows of the past few years were building to all finally came together. At least I know what I'm getting for Christmas :)

Very glad that such good luck with the box went to someone deserving!
#324182 by Faffy
Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:18 am
I was actually thinking that... A full Ocean Machine-performance in some underwater/seaworld-like venue. Lots of blue slow moving shimmering lights. All natural and atmospheric. ^__^

...I know that's a completely random idea and it's an old album so it's completely unlikely to happen. But just think about it! :D
#324184 by Tyroshai
Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:54 am
It was the icing on the cake after being stupidly lucky previously after a massive train cock-up. That last-minute seating change, being able to enjoy the show in comfort and neck some champagne with Biert, Faffy and Hiddos just utterly made it perfect! (excuse the pun) ;)

I'd love to see him play there again, it's such a beautiful place. Next time though please play ALL THE ALBUMS!!!
The Bluray will be top of my Xmas list too :)
#324185 by SilenceHarmsYourEars
Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:11 am
Prezidentman wrote:Was is perfect? No, but damn close IMO.

Not after perfect, after high quality in all areas. It was closer - just work that can be done.

Lettuce wrote:Here's some piccies of mine if you guys are interested

Is that you next to the Poozer creatures? I saw that person dancing on stage.

Kong89 wrote:Likewise with Bastard and TDOM, the atmosphere in those tracks was so intense and I think Dev really took it to the next level.

If you read my post properly - you'd see that I didn't disagree with this point. But that doesn't change the rest of what I said.

Kong89 wrote:Ultimately I don't like to niggle with what I would have changed or preferred to hear. Dev pulled out a truly memorable show and I'll be grinning about it for a long time to come.

And neither would I if the Set-list + Sound MIX matched the other elements I rated at 9.5%/10. That's very high quality rating. But, if it isn't very high quality or close enough - "Niggle" we should have a duty to.

swervedriver wrote:Also, I've never been to a gig where there were no issues with the sound.

Well then he has some work to do eh! Or just as much - the entire underground music industry has some work to do.

swervedriver wrote:I think expecting perfection of the mix is a bit much.

Again, wasn't seeking perfection. Top high quality throughout.

fragility wrote:Why stop at 4? How about every album? ;) seriously, from the outside, it looks like everything the big shows of the past few years were building to all finally came together.

Now try saying that again - this time with the Royal Albert performance being the first show of the last few years. And imagine how much more improved it could all be.

swervedriver wrote:Setlist preference is personal of course, no point arguing that.

Lies.

In reply to a lot of the comments which were all similar too the following...
fragility wrote:Waaa? That part of the setlist is the dream!

I get that it was supposedly a "FANS" dream set-list (at least more of the emo side of his fans)... but that doesn't mean it's fit for a giant audience of 5000+. I'm sure the 2nd half, especially ending, is the kind of set-list you'd expect at a more private gig... like some of his unplugged gigs such as the Borderline @ London. Not for a load of raging fans respecting him to crush the place start to finish more or less.

He wouldn't have done that set-list at Wacken for example in front of 40-60k+ fans(?), as he'd probably risk get bottled off stage. So it wasn't entirely suited for the Royal Albert imo.
#324186 by Tyroshai
Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:02 pm
SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:
Prezidentman wrote:Was is perfect? No, but damn close IMO.

Not after perfect, after high quality in all areas. It was closer - just work that can be done.

...In your opinion.

She's worked with Dev for the past few years creating the props and costumes for his live shows. Yes it is.

Kong89 wrote:Likewise with Bastard and TDOM, the atmosphere in those tracks was so intense and I think Dev really took it to the next level.

SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:If you read my post properly - you'd see that I didn't disagree with this point. But that doesn't change the rest of what I said.

Obviously your post and what it contained is 100% more correct than other authors individual experience and subjective opinion of the show. Apologies for not realising this sooner.

Kong89 wrote:Ultimately I don't like to niggle with what I would have changed or preferred to hear. Dev pulled out a truly memorable show and I'll be grinning about it for a long time to come.

SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:And neither would I if the Set-list + Sound MIX matched the other elements I rated at 9.5%/10. That's very high quality rating. But, if it isn't very high quality or close enough - "Niggle" we should have a duty to.

Again, you're clearly an expert and your "ratings" are the be-all-and-end-all judgement of how it good or bad the show was. Instead of (probably unintentionally) coming off as a bit of an entitled/elitist tit and instead of utilising the "you can agree with me and be wrong" approach, get over it.

swervedriver wrote:Also, I've never been to a gig where there were no issues with the sound.

SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:Well then he has some work to do eh! Or just as much - the entire underground music industry has some work to do.

Sure, though in a live setting the mix will NEVER be 100% absolutely wonderously perfect. Technology hasn't advanced to that point. Perfection is subjective. I forgot how a sold-out concert of 5000+ people relates to any aspect of the underground music industry as a whole.

swervedriver wrote:I think expecting perfection of the mix is a bit much.

SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:Again, wasn't seeking perfection. Top high quality throughout.

Individual definition differs. You must deserve far more than the rest of us.

fragility wrote:Why stop at 4? How about every album? ;) seriously, from the outside, it looks like everything the big shows of the past few years were building to all finally came together.

SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:Now try saying that again - this time with the Royal Albert performance being the first show of the last few years. And imagine how much more improved it could all be.

Now imagine you worded this better and actually made a constructive or remotely useful comment here and imagine how much more improved your overall standpoint could all be.

swervedriver wrote:Setlist preference is personal of course, no point arguing that.

SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:Lies.

Yeah, sure.
SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:In reply to a lot of the comments which were all similar too the following...

fragility wrote:Waaa? That part of the setlist is the dream!

SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:I get that it was supposedly a "FANS" dream set-list (at least more of the emo side of his fans)... but that doesn't mean it's fit for a giant audience of 5000+. I'm sure the 2nd half, especially ending, is the kind of set-list you'd expect at a more private gig... like some of his unplugged gigs such as the Borderline @ London. Not for a load of raging fans respecting him to crush the place start to finish more or less.

The 5000+ people who are actually 'FANS" who picked the second half setlist? Therefore the "more of the emo side of his fans" who appreciate his earlier works who wanted to hear those tracks live shouldn't be able to because it wasn't what you would've picked?
You'd prefer a full run of Decon/SYL etc again? 'respecting'? Ironic.

SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:He wouldn't have done that set-list at Wacken for example in front of 40-60k+ fans(?), as he'd probably risk get bottled off stage. So it wasn't entirely suited for the Royal Albert imo.

Jesus...I hope the view is great from that high horse you're on. As an established artist, he absolutely would have played that set for the fans if he asked them for their input on the setlist. It was intended to give the fans what they wanted. Not explicitly you.

EDIT- Apologies everyone, yeeeeah I took the troll bait.
"opinions are like assholes..." ;)
Last edited by Tyroshai on Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#324188 by swervedriver
Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:43 pm
Please keep it civil, guys and gals. It's fine having a different opinion, it's not so fine when it's voiced without respecting someone else's.
#324189 by Kong89
Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:44 pm
Yeah I wasn't really trying to challenge your perspective on the show at all silenceharmsyourears, but okay. I do think it's somewhat presumptive of you to claim that the setlist wasn't fitting for a 5000+ fan gig given that it was decided by a poll and those tracks rated very highly. Would he play those songs to a festival crowd at Wacken? No of course not, but for a possibly once in a lifetime show to a decent sized group of fans at the Albert Hall I don't really see any other better time to pull out the rare classics.

I'm sorry if it wasn't to your taste, but you don't speak for all of those in attendance. I love the crushing heavy tracks as much as anyone else, but they don't exactly completely dominate his back catalogue, there's always been a fair share of slower tracks, Bastard is still pretty heavy regardless of the tempo. A lot of the super aggressive stuff has been largely absent from his shows for a long time now and we certainly saw a lot of it in the Z2 performance and from a couple of tracks in set two. I thought it was very well balanced overall.

Also, emo? Yeah I'm really not seeing that one at all!
#324191 by Lettuce
Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:08 am
Tyroshai wrote:
SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:

She's worked with Dev for the past few years creating the props and costumes for his live shows. Yes it is.

Heeeeeeeeeey Stoph. Yeah I usually look like that.

I appreciate you're a big fan, SilenceHarmsYourEars; but it ain't Olympic diving mate! Just enjoy the show for what it is, if you didn't like the setlist then that's unfortunate for you, I think the rest of the crowd quite enjoyed it.
#324194 by Tyroshai
Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:38 am
Oops, I genuinely thought they were women. They have lovely legs!
#324197 by Lettuce
Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:12 am
Tyroshai wrote:Oops, I genuinely thought they were women. They have lovely legs!

Yup! Steve and Zimmer from ZTV, and Chris Devitt was Ziltoid! My sister text me during the show "ONE OF THE POOZERS HAS A MASSIVE WILLY!!!".