Woah! Good lord, it's a cheeseburger!!!
#274252 by barackobaka
Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:40 am
Decon still amazes me.
Wow, what an album, holy shit.
I think Devin could never make complicated heavy music again and I'd be happy with just Decon.
Its like Infity, Alien, Ki, Devlab, Ziltoid and Danny Elfman's demented lovechild. Love it. :D
#275640 by sesameseedbun
Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:54 pm
I can't help but be amazed at every second of this album. It is one of the best albums I've heard this year, if not the best.

I'm actually surprised that Devin prefers Ghost to Decon. Sure, I loved Ghost, I thought it was beautiful, but why is Devin downplaying all the effort he put into Deconstruction? This thing is far more complex than most progressive metal albums you'll ever hear, and yet it is so delicate and entertaining. Plus, even though I normally hate fart jokes, they totally worked here, and made me laugh a little! I'm sad that Devin was overwhelmed by the negative response he received about the fart jokes and decided not scrap plans for Ziltoid 2 because "metal and humor... it doesn't really work".

The first time I listened to it, I was... well, dizzy. I was listening to it on my headphones late at night, and 70 minutes of music I hadn't previously heard before were hard for my ears to take in. When it was over, I was torn. Sure, it felt great, but was it? The constant twists and turns in most tracks made it hard for me to follow the first time around. However, after a few listens to each track in random order, and then giving the entire album a second spin, I find the whole album to be a delight. After reading some of Dev's words on the meaning behind the album, I realize this is one of the best works of his. Aside from the whole "dude goes to hell" concept, this is really an album that provides a positive meaning to the listener. I thought Devin was once again translating his pains and inner demons into songs like he did with the older SYL albums, but here he tells us that if you are strong enough to fight the poltergeists around you (and inside your mind), you will be able to stand for yourself and find happiness and freedom. In fact, this is the reason why Ghost works so well when listened to after Decon; it is not just "the calm after the storm", it's your reward for being brave and fighting the struggles of everyday life.

Now, on a somewhat unrelated note, has Devin considered making a 5.1 mix of the album? I mean, sure, most artists stopped making 5.1 mixes after DVD-Audio and SACD's collapsed in the mass market and are now only used for "audiophile" stuff and classical music, but I've been hearing some great stuff in surround lately. Steven Wilson and Trent Reznor's latest works sound excellent in 5.1. I believe a surround mix would benefit Deconstruction greatly, as the production is so dense and layered that you always hear new stuff in the background. (EDIT: "To infinity and surround!")

There's going to be a live DVD with Deconstruction performed in its entirety, right? I hope it has a surround mix. It's going to be great!

Anyway, back to listening Deconstruction again. Can't wait for the full DTP boxset. I'm SO going to buy it!
Last edited by sesameseedbun on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
#275879 by ctfod
Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:32 am
ferocitas wrote:I guess Deconstruction has been pretty much deconstructed already by the 100+ pages here. Anyways, first impressions (or rather first memory imprints):

Deconstruction is too hard to grasp first listen, so I only remember strange similarities with Danny Elfman on every Tim Burton movie ever.
Ghost is very easy, flowing past like a cloud. At parts like Angelo Badalamenti in Twin Peaks. And the flute and general feeling has a lot of Deuter in there as well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuter). Can't remember if Dev had listened to Deuter or not, though.

Will be interesting to read this post in a month so this is very much just notes for myself. Thanks, bye.

I got the exact opposite from it first time, Decon was an instant click and Ghost was hard to listen to.
#275973 by Migstopheles
Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:43 am
The only thing that I question about this album. What's with Mr Garrison shouting "hey!" at 1:40 and 2:09 on Stand?
#276226 by Cosmic Sea
Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:44 am
djskrimp wrote:
Migstopheles wrote:The only thing that I question about this album. What's with Mr Garrison shouting "hey!" at 1:40 and 2:09 on Stand?

Mr. Hat and Mr. Slave put him up to it. Jethuth Chritht!

I'd bet it's got someting to do with Mr. Twig, that two-timing whore. :lol: