Woah! Good lord, it's a cheeseburger!!!

What are your favourite songs (3) from Deconstruction?

3%
3%
5%
5%
5%
5%
8%
8%
5%
5%
9%
9%
2%
2%
6%
6%
5%
5%
#272123 by devious_mischievous
Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:58 pm
Ah...it's so difficult to choose!

"Planet of the Apes" is the song that I like the least from the album, but favorites? I'll have to narrow it down from "Juular," "Sumeria," "The Mighty Masturbator," "Deconstruction," and "Poltergeist."

THE CHOICES!!! :P

I suppose I'll have to give the album a few more spins before officially declaring my three favorites.
#272288 by mekahdexa
Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm
I've noticed that a lot of people dislike the title track. It's a shame, it's one of my favourites. It sounds like a pure stream-of-conciousness, The Mighty Masturbator does too. I think the "humour" (I hate to refer to it as that, I don't find the album funny or light-hearted at all, the ridiculous parts just add to the chaos for me, which I love) really annoys some folks.
#272291 by Faffy
Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Poltergeist and Planet of the Apes: EASY!

However the third one.... no idea. I decided to vote for Praise the Lowered. But it might change... or not. :P
#272297 by HauntingTheHoly
Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:42 pm
Negoba wrote:Juular is my fave.

TMM, Sumeria, Deconstruction other favorites

Stand is my least favorite, apparently breaking with the group.

Still feel the same way about Stand? I agreed with you completely until earlier this week. At first it seemed one-dimensional and borrowing it's sound a bit too much from Ziltoid and I had it near the bottom, but now it's probably my third favorite track. I didn't include it in the poll when I voted just now, though. Only two I listed were:

Praise the Lowered
Poltergeist

First and last tracks, Dev always comes through big on those, it seems.
#272366 by Jaglavak
Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:49 am
mekahdexa wrote:I've noticed that a lot of people dislike the title track. It's a shame, it's one of my favourites. It sounds like a pure stream-of-conciousness, The Mighty Masturbator does too. I think the "humour" (I hate to refer to it as that, I don't find the album funny or light-hearted at all, the ridiculous parts just add to the chaos for me, which I love) really annoys some folks.

Just to throw my two cents in; even though I voted Juular, TMM and Pandemic (and that's just because I could only pick three, instead of nine, in order to vote :mrgreen:), I love the title track. It's absolutely one of the most ridiculous, intense, and (you said it) stream-of-consciousness songs I've ever heard, and the humor in it doesn't bother me at all. Something about the way he says 'bullshit... it's ALL BULLSHIT!' near the end, in Ziltoid's voice, just makes that moment really powerful. Like the realization that the whole journey throughout the album to understand and comprehend everything was rather pointless; it makes Poltergeist's entry just a little bit later all the more appropriate.

And, just to be clear, every song has jaw-dropping moments for me. My favorite part of the whole album might be the dance/electronica section of TMM; the way Puciato gradually intensifies his vocals over the verses he appears on is just ridiculous. Those 'WE PRAISE SAAAAAAAATAAAAAAAAAAAN' screams... just something else, man.
#272619 by New Millenium Man
Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:14 pm
I went with Planet of the Apes, Sumeria, and Deconstruction.

Planet of Apes- Punishing but very versatile track. That weird upbeat section about halfway in was the first moment that made me perk up in wonder. Also, the chorus ("I say have it your way") has been stuck in my head since I got this album.

Sumeria-I love the main riff, and the beginning lines ("I will never know her love"). Its like getting caught in a thunderstorm, but instead of water, the rain is made of metal shards. Awesome! Also, this song has one of the most beautiful light moments since the song "Ki". The part at the very end where the guy from Cynic is singing is just absurdly beautiful to me. I could listen to that minute of music over and over again.

Deconstruction- Like someone else said, its so stream of conscious and whacked out. I think the music is awesome, and Im one of the people who like the toilet humor (because hey, you GOTTA step back and laugh at yourself once in a while.) This song really made me think that the entire album was the lovechild of "Infinity" and "Ziltoid". Also, going back with my reoccuring thing about the 'pretty moments', I love the big climactic vocal part near the end, where Dev is singing in very high falsetto. I've never heard such great honesty in a voice.

I wish I could vote fer em all, especially giving props to TMM and Praise the Lowered. Praise the Lowered sounds like Silent Hill 2, does a great job of immersing me into the rest of the album.
#272922 by TallNerdGuy
Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:04 am
Me likey Praise the Lowered, Sumeria, and Deconstruction.

The album takes many listens to truly wrap one's brain around, I feel. But shit...when it all starts to click, the whole thing crushes.
#273151 by Negoba
Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:12 am
HauntingTheHoly wrote:
Negoba wrote:Juular is my fave.

TMM, Sumeria, Deconstruction other favorites

Stand is my least favorite, apparently breaking with the group.

Still feel the same way about Stand? I agreed with you completely until earlier this week. At first it seemed one-dimensional and borrowing it's sound a bit too much from Ziltoid and I had it near the bottom, but now it's probably my third favorite track. I didn't include it in the poll when I voted just now, though. Only two I listed were:

Praise the Lowered
Poltergeist

First and last tracks, Dev always comes through big on those, it seems.

I went back through the lyric thread now that I know the songs moderately well, trying to figure out some of the harsh vocal parts I hadn't picked out. That definitely made "Stand" stronger for me. At first I was almost fast forwarding, but now I enjoy it, especially as part of the whole record. Among very strong tracks, though, it's still toward the bottom of the list.

1. Juular - One of the best songs Dev's ever written. I can sing along to it, bang my head to it, but there's also so much going on. If I had one song to show someone what Dev is all about it would be either "Earth Day" or "Juular"

2. TMM - Despite being enormously long, I never get bored of during this track. The jokes are funny, the scenes work. Just brilliant.

3. Deconstruction - The fart / diarrhea noises are a little annoying but they are part of just extreme insanity, the artist pushing it absolutely as far as he can.

4. Planet of the Apes - the intro riff is a little too recycled from old stuff for me, but once the other parts start folding in on top of it, it's a monster tune.

5. Sumeria - the next three are all very solid, great album songs, but don't really distinguish themselves other than being part of the flow of the great album Decon is.

6. Pandemic

7. Poltergeist

8. Stand - see above
#273183 by vaijuju
Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:16 am
I like "Stand", I heard it libe before the studio! I vote for the great "The Mighty Masturbator"! Thanks Devin it's a master piece!
#273889 by vaijuju
Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 am
Now I like 8 songs/ 9, only "pandemic" : it's not my cup of tea, Anyway i'm Happy with Deconstruction, perhaps the best between the 4 album :guitar:

The song Deconstruction : When I heard it, i thought at the song "pig" (Vai and Townsend), so i took a look at the crédits ant Townsend didn't work the music only the lyrics.Anyway i only thought that Devin influenced Steve