Woah! Good lord, it's a cheeseburger!!!
#274304 by Griff
Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:26 pm
I can barely hear any of the well-known guest musicians on this album! Not that it's a bad thing, just broke a tiny expectation of mine I guess... I'm a big fan of Emperor / Ihsahn, Opeth, Cynic, Meshuggah / Fredrik Thordendal and Gojira, so I guess I was expecting to hear a smidge of their signature sound. Mikael and Ihsahn's vocals for one, but I haven't had a proper examination of the booklet's inner notes to see if they even contributed vocals, cos maybe they only contributed guitars or keys. Please fill me in anyone. I will check when I get home otherwise.

I can hear Greg Puciato on The Mighty Masturbator, Floor Jansen on Pandemic and Oderus Urungus on Deconstruction, but that's about it. Anyone else feel / hear the same?
#274310 by twentyjunious
Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:20 pm
Mikael's part is small, he does the 'I,I,I!' part on Stand as well as screaming alongside dev in the 'STAND!'s', I read somewhere on the forum someone describe him as the grumpy layer on Stand, can't remember who but that pretty much sums it up.

Ihsahn does all the screams in Juular: "...I Survive! etc."

Paul M. Does the clean part at the end of Sumeria: "Cold, we mirror the I have all come to rise, etc."

Joe Duplantier is the intense vocals on Sumeria: "Channeling the mind, of a collective unconscious. etc."

Greg P. Does the "We praise God/Ourselves/satan"

BTBAM Guy does "Are we the observing, or are we the observed. Etc."

Oderus and Floor are pretty obvious. Only ones I can't work out are Paul Kuhr and Frederik, though I'm guessing its the tapping part towards the end.
#274314 by Octillus
Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:12 pm
Frederik is at the very least the BEER guitar solo in decon

Paul Kuhr is DRINK THE WINE

And the grumpy akerfeldt who needs sleep was me :P
#274322 by mrbean667
Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:35 am
Specifically, Fredrik does the solo after "I would like to discuss something with you..." He could be doing more, but all the layers make it impossible for me to make out :D
#274347 by Lettuce
Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:32 am
I wouldn't be too disappointed, Dev never implied they were gonna have big roles, just simply cameos to do stuff he felt sounded like they should be doing it.
#274375 by ctfod
Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:19 am
It took me a few listens to realise where Ihsahn and Mike were (and Oderus, Greg and Fred, somehow), but once I heard it, it's so glaringly obvious I don't know how I missed them in the first 2 or 3 listens. That said, I still can't really pick out Paul Kuhr.
#274376 by Jaglavak
Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 am
ctfod wrote:It took me a few listens to realise where Ihsahn and Mike were (and Oderus, Greg and Fred, somehow), but once I heard it, it's so glaringly obvious I don't know how I missed them in the first 2 or 3 listens. That said, I still can't really pick out Paul Kuhr.

This. I had no trouble picking out everyone but Paul on the first listen (then again, I was listening for them) and I still have trouble finding Paul even now. I think Dev layered his own vocals on top of Paul's parts; just listen to the 'drink the wine' lines, for example - you can hear a higher rasp on top of the lower growl, which makes it even harder to pick him out. The 'oomph' factor from the growls he contributed certainly doesn't go missed; it's just hard to pick him out specifically. Kudos to Dev for making him blend into the song so seamlessly, though.
#274400 by DevinJayLeibe
Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:23 pm
The first guys I recognised were Joe Duplantier and the GWAR guy, I loved that, and Masdival because you can hear the pronunciation and intonation there and that just ain't Dev.
Thing for me is Devin can do a wide range of harsh vocals, and there is a lot of layering, but I'm listening to Decon a lot now and I think that helps in picking the different vocalists out.

I thought that Frederik was the entire lead on Deconstruction (song), loool, there is also another part in one song that just doesn't sound like Dev guitars but I guess that may have been intentional. I'm battered right now so I can't think exactly what song