Woah! Good lord, it's a cheeseburger!!!
#289452 by fizzicist
Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:36 am
I've done some searching here for threads specific but can't find anything other than some folks talking about it in the boxset threads. Personally i cannot wait for the boxset!

There's quite a few points of Decon that i'm hoping are 'beefed' up in the mix...

What would you like to hear more/less of in the mix?
#289457 by fragility
Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:58 am
I'm really looking forward to hearing this as I've always thought it sounds great, so I'm intrigued as to what could be classed as an improvement with what I imagine was a challenge mix wise
#289563 by static2
Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:34 pm
there is a massive difference between remastering and re-mixing (with a hyphen to differentiate it from DJ-style remixing). chances are, any complaints about the mix will only be marginally affected; while remastering has the potential to totally warp a mix, it rarely happens. the biggest types of changes happen on compilations, where the mastering engineer has to attempt to make songs from different albums sound like they belong together (a tough-ass job!) — an example would be Dev's remastering of Physicist tracks on the InsideOut compilation that came out a little while ago. but where this is one entire album, even those types of changes may not be noticeable.

i still have no idea why either album needed to be retouched for the box anyway.
#289586 by Helge-Uwe
Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:08 pm
don't wanna bitch around, but I must admit that a 5.1 mix of every album would have made sense..

try to imagine what Decon could have sounded like.. epic. Devin should consider to collaborate with Steven Wilson when it comes to 5.1 mixes. that guy is a god.
#289643 by Abydost
Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:30 am
Lolliklauer wrote:Is it possible to reduce compression in the process of mastering? Or only the other way round?

Yeah it is, but depends how compressed all the elements are in the mix before mastering. It's usually in the mastering phase where you rape stuff with a limiter and brickwall it. I don't hear any compression problems though... I mean, listen to the dynamics in Praise the Lowered and Stand.
#289801 by The Dev
Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:46 pm
A bit less of the low low stuff, a db and a half more in the low mids, a touch less at around 3.5

Chances are , you won't hear a difference. Same with Ghost. small changes for my benefit because the car I used to check mixes...the lease was up and I had to get rid of it, and my new cars stereo sucks, so I hadn't the same perspective.

anyways...
#289807 by chillidemon
Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:42 pm
The Dev wrote:A bit less of the low low stuff, a db and a half more in the low mids, a touch less at around 3.5

Chances are , you won't hear a difference. Same with Ghost. small changes for my benefit because the car I used to check mixes...the lease was up and I had to get rid of it, and my new cars stereo sucks, so I hadn't the same perspective.

anyways...

Cheers for the insight Dev , Looking forward to the boxset when it arrives ;)
#291715 by Abnormal Freak
Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:27 pm
The Dev wrote:Chances are , you won't hear a difference.

You're right there. ;) Maybe if I had a keen sound system, I'd notice the difference. Maybe.

Still, I like the thought of the two albums being tweaked to your preference.
#292156 by Ultimetalhead
Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:30 pm
Is it just me, or does the symphony in the intro to Planet of the Apes (the bitchin riff before the vocals come in) a touch higher in the mix than it was originally? Then again, if the lows were cut a bit, it would make sense that the symphony track would be a bit higher (the song is full of low end, after all).
#292161 by Lolliklauer
Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:15 pm
Ultimetalhead wrote:Is it just me, or does the symphony in the intro to Planet of the Apes (the bitchin riff before the vocals come in) a touch higher in the mix than it was originally? Then again, if the lows were cut a bit, it would make sense that the symphony track would be a bit higher (the song is full of low end, after all).

I think i can hear that, too.
#301569 by MrDishington
Mon May 14, 2012 4:42 am
Ultimetalhead wrote:Is it just me, or does the symphony in the intro to Planet of the Apes (the bitchin riff before the vocals come in) a touch higher in the mix than it was originally? Then again, if the lows were cut a bit, it would make sense that the symphony track would be a bit higher (the song is full of low end, after all).

Yeah, I noticed that too. I picked up on a couple of instances where the orchestra seemed to be higher but it was so slight I may have been imagining it. The first 20 seconds or so of the CD seem a lot clearer to me this time around.
#303435 by Bookwyrm83
Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:52 pm
Recently listened to the Deconstruction remaster, and it more subtle than the Ghost remaster I have to say, but I still noticed a few improvements. Mainly in the title track; the layers sound much clearer than the original version, IMO.