Woah! Good lord, it's a cheeseburger!!!
#253087 by The Dev
Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:07 am
Yo!

Real quick update... This record is beyond anything I've done before IMO, there's no way I could have made this not being sober...it's immense and next level.

Working 14 hour days, and not indecisively either, back to back tasks and tracks, no sooner do I get one part down than I'm aware of 4 more that need to go in the same spot. Deep breaths and cool thinking prevails. The combo of ghost and decon are my finest hours to date I think (I've been known to be wrong before though...)

Tentative track list:

Deconstruction
Stand
Juular
Planet Of The Apes
Sumeria
Ho Krll
Mighty Masturbator
Pandemic
Cheeseburger
Poltergeist

All I can say is, I can't wait for you guys to hear these ones... It's pretty special I think.

D
#253088 by mrbean667
Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:01 am
Thanks Dev!

Stand sounds amazing.

This record is beyond anything I've done before IMO, there's no way I could have made this not being sober...it's immense and next level.

So, how does Alien stand up to it, mentally? Is it as much as a challenge?

Personally, I can't do anything without my meds...
#253107 by The Dev
Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:09 am
...and as a footnote, as I know there are people sometimes who pay attention to 'artists' (even me) about their habits etc, I want to be clear:

Although I am not taking psychiatric medications, it has been under supervision of a psychiatrist and my family, and would not work for me if I continued to do drugs or drink AT ALL.

Also, my diet is controlled (vegetarian, limited sugar) and my caffeine intake is limited as well.

...not to sound like a prude or anything, but I've had people contact me about their psychiatric issues (ie: I won't take the meds, and now the marijuana is giving me the keys to the universe man...and I'm freaking out' etc etc...

I'll say again:

If you are predisposed to mental illness yet continue to do things to your mind that are causing you confusion, you are imposing your selfishness and arrogance on everyone around you.

A nice dude came to one of the instores I did recently and he said 'I'm bipolar and I struggle everyday, is there advice you could give me?' and I asked 'well, do you smoke pot?' and he said 'yes, of course'...

I am not qualified to give professional advice, but I do have my own experience to draw on... my answer would be, of course...

STOP doing the drugs then man!!! wtf?

On the flip side of the coin, my brother in law, and 3 members of my band drink and smoke and it doesn't flip them out, so it seems to come down to physiology

Anyways, just wanted to be clear that my abstaining from psychiatric medication is hinged on my other habits and disciplines. I'm not making a statement about the validity of either drug, I'm just wanting to make a clear artistic statement amidst being a dad and getting shit done. IF you are interested in changing medications or anything involving your mental health and your immediate family (who are involved, like it or not) consult your doctor.

Dev
#253115 by ppinkham
Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:25 am
Sounds like Decon is going to be closer to the more complicated and involved parts from 'Ziltoid' rather than 'Alien,' but going above and beyond anything we've heard before.

Probably going to be a bitch live. ;)

On the whole bipolar thing, the term itself is a blanket that covers a wide range of symptoms and conditions, affecting many people in many different ways. I have suffered from bipolarism all of my life, but wasn't actually diagnosed as such until about 10 years ago. I was diagnosed and treated for a lot of things before that, like ADD, insomnia, anxiety, blah blah blah. Shit, I was even diagnosed with mild autism.

The number of medications the docs threw at me over the years is unbelievable. Some helped a tiny bit, some made things worse, and some created entirely new problems that I still haven't recovered completely from.

However, I have never smoked pot or done drugs other than what was prescribed, and I never abused those. I used to drink a bit, but not in excess. I just didn't trust my brain enough to give up any sort of control of it.

I'm just kind of 'winging it' nowadays. Sometimes I am successful and staying in control, other times I am not. I have a grasp on it though, and it is working for me. Yes, my mind is a depression and rage-filled mess, but I own it, and have power over it. I have suicidal thoughts daily, I get so filled with rage I could kill (and enjoy it), but I understand enough now about how it works and I have my releases. I can live with it. I walk a fine line, but know my limits. I also have a wonderful support group in my family, which makes me work harder at it to keep from being a burden to them. Overall, I can step back and see that I am a happy and content person, and being able to see that through the mess of my brain is what keeps me sane.

If I could get decent psychiatric help out here, I'd be all over it. That is definitely one thing over the years that helped a lot, and is why I am able to stay in control 1000 times better than I ever could before.

I firmly believe that you need a strong, fully aware mind to truly maintain control and balance. I could not live as well as I am if I gave up any ounce of the control I have. Drugs and booze can't be a part of my life. They are just not an option for me. I hear it works for some, but I know my brain too well. I'd have the world on it's knees! Mwuhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!

It's rock 'n roll!
#253119 by The Dev
Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:46 am
Good points!

And yes, overall it feels more like ziltoid complicated than alien insane for sure...

About half the album is more 'metal' than ziltoid

overall it's more intense than ziltoid as well

lyrically it's a different universe than alien, and pretty seperate from ziltoid

it's much more dynamic (light and dark) than either

it's really weird on first listen

there's a song that's similar to 'shitstorm' in it's ferocity, but different in it's intent

it's very 'musical' and suprisingly Zappa-ish in parts (which suprised me)

onward!
#253120 by berserkur
Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:52 am
Very excited about the albums. Complex Ziltoid? ... must be overload on first listen...

P.S. I'm working at a mental hospital, one young bipolar person there uses music to calm her down.
#253125 by ppinkham
Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:37 pm
The Dev wrote:Good points!

And yes, overall it feels more like ziltoid complicated than alien insane for sure...

About half the album is more 'metal' than ziltoid

overall it's more intense than ziltoid as well

lyrically it's a different universe than alien, and pretty seperate from ziltoid

it's much more dynamic (light and dark) than either

it's really weird on first listen

there's a song that's similar to 'shitstorm' in it's ferocity, but different in it's intent

it's very 'musical' and suprisingly Zappa-ish in parts (which suprised me)

onward!

When I first started reading about 'Deconstruction,' this is what I kept imagining:

[youtube]v6D1-PHcRtA[/youtube]

Now I really have no idea what to expect. lol
#253129 by Tonya Elf
Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Sooo looking forward to your new stuff! Has already made 2011 a great year! That track list is quite provocative!
#253132 by No OnE
Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:17 pm
Glad to read the update, sounds like you's a busy man, Dev! We love you and your music to death, so just keep doing what you feel is best regarding anything/everything. We'll be as patient as we can :D
#253133 by mrbean667
Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:24 pm
The Dev wrote:...and as a footnote, as I know there are people sometimes who pay attention to 'artists' (even me) about their habits etc, I want to be clear:

Although I am not taking psychiatric medications, it has been under supervision of a psychiatrist and my family, and would not work for me if I continued to do drugs or drink AT ALL.

Also, my diet is controlled (vegetarian, limited sugar) and my caffeine intake is limited as well.

...not to sound like a prude or anything, but I've had people contact me about their psychiatric issues (ie: I won't take the meds, and now the marijuana is giving me the keys to the universe man...and I'm freaking out' etc etc...

I'll say again:

If you are predisposed to mental illness yet continue to do things to your mind that are causing you confusion, you are imposing your selfishness and arrogance on everyone around you.

A nice dude came to one of the instores I did recently and he said 'I'm bipolar and I struggle everyday, is there advice you could give me?' and I asked 'well, do you smoke pot?' and he said 'yes, of course'...

I am not qualified to give professional advice, but I do have my own experience to draw on... my answer would be, of course...

STOP doing the drugs then man!!! wtf?

On the flip side of the coin, my brother in law, and 3 members of my band drink and smoke and it doesn't flip them out, so it seems to come down to physiology

Anyways, just wanted to be clear that my abstaining from psychiatric medication is hinged on my other habits and disciplines. I'm not making a statement about the validity of either drug, I'm just wanting to make a clear artistic statement amidst being a dad and getting shit done. IF you are interested in changing medications or anything involving your mental health and your immediate family (who are involved, like it or not) consult your doctor.

Dev

That was very insightful Dev, you're such a good bloke.

Lookin' forward to Decon!