Peace to you
#274003 by bonekrap44
Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:15 pm
I have one that i just kinda realized. The song "As You Were" i believe to be about being called to the Church.
Lyrics like:
"Might as well marry the Ghost" (Ghost could be holy spirit)
"We were called" (Preists say that God "Called" them to serve"
"Know, you weren't wrong" (Could say that people think its a punishment to be called and he's saying no you did nothing wrong)

Another one is "Fly"
To me it almost sounds like he's saying that he will do anything (even fly over a mountain) to save himself or save someone.

This is just me thinking too much again i know :? but i was wondering if anyone had any opinions.
#274045 by static2
Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:02 am
the great thing about Dev lyrics is that you can take his stream-of-consciousness words to apply however you want them to.

however, it IS possible to be off the mark in terms of what the text actually says vs. how you interpret it.

i agree about "Fly," but given the overarching pseudo-storyline of the DTP records, it would surely be about how far the narrator is willing to go to save himself (from himself?).

"As You Were," i think, is more accurately about "marrying the ghost" of the past — his "ghost" being who he was before he went on his journey of transformation across the whole DTP. i.e. because we "come as we were" — we have so many natural inclinations that are part of genetics and predispositions and how we were raised — don't try forgetting your past and who you used to be; instead, be at peace with it. "peace to (the former) you," or, rather, "peace to me," as it were.
#274047 by Octillus
Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:14 am
I'm pretty sure Decon was the one that purged all of the religious discussion and Ghost was more predicated on living in the moment. So I dunno if I agree with the direct religious metaphors, but I find it interesting.

I tend to agree with Static here.
#274094 by bonekrap44
Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 pm
Octillus wrote:I'm pretty sure Decon was the one that purged all of the religious discussion and Ghost was more predicated on living in the moment. So I dunno if I agree with the direct religious metaphors, but I find it interesting.

I hear what you say about Decon. Stand sounds like he's describing people maturing and "Some find Jesus"
But it's impossible to know what they really mean.
I found a funny interview that was talking about Devin's Singing in Ayreon's album "The Human Equation"

"What did Devin mean by "motion personified alpha"?

(Laughs.) I have no idea.

Have you asked Devin?

Yes! He wouldn't tell me. The first thing I did was call him and I said "Hey, you did a great job, Devin. But I have to ask you what the hell do your lyrics mean??" And he said "Yeah! They are kind of difficult, you know." I said "You're not going to explain them to me, are you?" and he said "No." I said "Well, I want to know one thing, Devin. Do you know what they mean?" and he said "Yes, I do." So I said "Well, that's enough for me." So, I have no idea what it means. And I'm very curious but he's not going to tell me. (Laughs.)"
#274524 by mrbean667
Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:04 pm
Wow, Arjen didn't even know what they meant?

For my part, I reckon "Feather" is meant to parallel Tiny Tears, only this time he's talking to his kid. It's pretty obvious, but hey, it's there.

Dark Matters is about... :mrgreen:
#274569 by bonekrap44
Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm
mrbean667 wrote:Wow, Arjen didn't even know what they meant?

For my part, I reckon "Feather" is meant to parallel Tiny Tears, only this time he's talking to his kid. It's pretty obvious, but hey, it's there.

Dark Matters is about... :mrgreen:

Yeah, only Devin knows what he's talking about.
But when i read the Lyrics to Blackberry it seemed to connect with a book i have to read for school "Ethan Frome".
In the book the main dude is falling for this maid that comes to help with house work and eventually she has to leave.
Just the lyrics "And she is leaving town...So do we love it now?" Made me think of that. Totaly unrelated but i just thought i'd share that :mrgreen:

And Dark Matters is a very odd song.
#274709 by ShortSonata
Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:19 pm
I really don't think Dev intended religious connotations in his lyrics, but the great thing is that you can interpret his lyrics as you like. They are all connected and the meaning is always open. :D
As You Were is, to me, a song about embracing your own past, the bad as well as the good. The ghost is the poltergeist from Deconstruction, he's embracing it rather than pushing it away.
#275334 by Matt08642
Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:12 pm
You know who else has secret meanings to their words that only they know? CHARLES FUCKING MANSON.

All eyes are on you, DEVIN. EXPLAIN.
#276155 by HevyMinik
Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:07 pm
bonekrap44 wrote:
Octillus wrote:I'm pretty sure Decon was the one that purged all of the religious discussion and Ghost was more predicated on living in the moment. So I dunno if I agree with the direct religious metaphors, but I find it interesting.

I hear what you say about Decon. Stand sounds like he's describing people maturing and "Some find Jesus"
But it's impossible to know what they really mean.
I found a funny interview that was talking about Devin's Singing in Ayreon's album "The Human Equation"

"What did Devin mean by "motion personified alpha"?

(Laughs.) I have no idea.

Have you asked Devin?

Yes! He wouldn't tell me. The first thing I did was call him and I said "Hey, you did a great job, Devin. But I have to ask you what the hell do your lyrics mean??" And he said "Yeah! They are kind of difficult, you know." I said "You're not going to explain them to me, are you?" and he said "No." I said "Well, I want to know one thing, Devin. Do you know what they mean?" and he said "Yes, I do." So I said "Well, that's enough for me." So, I have no idea what it means. And I'm very curious but he's not going to tell me. (Laughs.)"

I seem to recall an interview I've read somewhere some time ago, where Devin stated that the line was supposed to be "emotion personified alpha", but he had to take the "e" out of emotion, as the rhythm of the sentence didn't match the rhythm of the music. :roll: