Got any questions for Dev's management? Ask Jasper!
#306854 by Meh
Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:43 am
Hi Jasper,

I'm not sure if you know the answer but I was curious about what happened with the Epicloud Listen Party/Commentary issue. The video was put up and apparently had the go ahead from the label but was fairly quickly pulled down. What happened?
#306939 by Meh
Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:16 am
wyldweasil wrote:Wow, I didn't even realize it got pulled. Didn't know if there was any stipulations like a time limit on how long it was supposed to be up or something?

No, this wasn't a time window issue - it got pulled within an hour! I found it weird because when I finally tracked down a copy online Devin mentions at the start that he was "given the go ahead by Century media". :?
#307096 by ppinkham
Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:56 pm
More than likely it was just a misunderstanding. CM probably didn't understand what Devin intended to do, and gave him the ok without realizing Devin was going to put the entire album up. Or they may have known what he intended but thought he was going to put it up after the CD came out.
#307104 by JasperNMC
Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:46 am
CM USA asked Devin to make this on a Friday and in typical Devin fashion Dev immediately went to work and had it up online the next Sunday. All this was done without checking with either me or CM Europe so we had to take it down as soon as we saw it for several reasons:
- its way too soon to put up the entire album. We are working on getting website exclusives for certain tracks which obviously dont work if the album is out there already.
- we're still working out a distribution deal for Australia and any new partner will not be happy knowing the album is already out there. (CM only does USA and Europe, all other distribution are separate deals direct with HevyDevy Records)
- Japan will release a few weeks later than Europe & US so they're not happy either with the full album up for grabs.

Stuff like this needs to be coordinated on a world wide level so it's bad of CM US for not checking in and doing what they felt was good for the US market. Can't blame them for trying but it's up to me to make sure things like this work for everyone involved. We'll probably get it back up the week of album release or as soon as we find the album has been leaked.
#307109 by swervedriver
Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:33 am
Touching on that, if the album will be available on the upcoming tour you can expect a leak to pop up after the first few days of the tour (so essentially 2.5-3 weeks before the official release date). Do you think that's going to interfere with what you're planning for website exclusive tracks and such?
#307119 by Meh
Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 am
I see. Maybe I'm being naive but I feel in this day and age the only people who buy albums are the fans who will buy it regardless of if they've heard it or not. However, I'd imagine potential distributors could now have a higher bargaining power in negotiations knowing the album leaked. I'm sure many lessons were learnt. Many thanks Jasper for the response - it was appreciated!
#307271 by Helge-Uwe
Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:54 pm
Really shut the fuck up Dev had just must. :mrgreen:

Besides, sweet! :guitar: But a classic? Probably not. Doesn't matter, still rocks hard at times.

wrong thread? sry