DTP boxsets galore!
#303696 by shredi knight
Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:49 pm
Ok, since we are talking about the use of backing tracks, I'm just going to throw this out there: On the Ghost DVD, why do I see Kat Epple's mouth moving, but all I hear is Katrina Natale's vocals from the album?
#303698 by NamasteLikeBender
Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:26 am
shredi knight wrote:Ok, since we are talking about the use of backing tracks, I'm just going to throw this out there: On the Ghost DVD, why do I see Kat Epple's mouth moving, but all I hear is Katrina Natale's vocals from the album?

I was confused by that too, actually.
#303699 by Tyroshai
Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:54 am
NamasteLikeBender wrote:
shredi knight wrote:Ok, since we are talking about the use of backing tracks, I'm just going to throw this out there: On the Ghost DVD, why do I see Kat Epple's mouth moving, but all I hear is Katrina Natale's vocals from the album?

Yeah it's weird. When I was there, live, you could only hear her ever so slightly close to the front. Either her Mic was turned down incredible quietly or she was mostly miming, bless her. She did look very nervous, and what little of Kat's voice I did hear, it was pretty shaky. Lovely performance though.
#303701 by Eyesore
Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:08 am
NamasteLikeBender wrote:

Because, like most live albums these days, it's probably more a studio album than a "live" album.
#303702 by shredi knight
Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:11 am
NamasteLikeBender wrote:

I've been debating whether or not to mention it or not on here, but It kind of bothered me and took away a little bit of the enjoyment of the DVD when I first watched it. I love Devin and his music to death and he is the last person I would think would have someone lip syncing onstage, but what I am seeing and hearing are not matching. The only legitimate explanations I can think of are that either Kat's vocals are mixed so low you can't really hear her, or that her vocal performance was sub-par (she looks fairly uncomfortable when she is singing) and Dev decided not to use it and removed them from the mix all together. I have no problem with the use of backing tracks and understand the need for them with Dev's music, but can't understand someone onstage pretending to be doing something they are not (if that is in fact the case, which I hope it's not).

Anyway, I mean no disrespect to Devin, but it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

EDIT:
Tyroshai wrote:Yeah it's weird. When I was there, live, you could only hear her ever so slightly close to the front. Either her Mic was turned down incredible quietly or she was mostly miming, bless her. She did look very nervous, and what little of Kat's voice I did hear, it was pretty shaky. Lovely performance though.

Didn't see this before I made my above post. That would lend to my theory that Devin just didn't use your vocals based on a sub-par performance (has she ever really sang before?), which is fine and would explain why you can't hear her. I would much prefer it the way it is instead of having "shaky" sounding vocals all over it.
Last edited by shredi knight on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
#303704 by BrunoN
Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:32 am
Eyesore wrote:Because, like most live albums these days, it's probably more a studio album than a "live" album.

If we're at it - Devin's vocals have some weird nasal quality to them and are non-humanly precise - none of the non-pro shot vids from youtube have that. My anti-pitchcorrection-nazi sense is tingling. Why the hell would you touch up THIS voice?
#303705 by shredi knight
Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:42 am
BrunoN wrote:
Eyesore wrote:Because, like most live albums these days, it's probably more a studio album than a "live" album.

If we're at it - Devin's vocals have some weird nasal quality to them and are non-humanly precise - none of the non-pro shot vids from youtube have that. My anti-pitchcorrection-nazi sense is tingling. Why the hell would you touch up THIS voice?

Devin says in one of the commentaries (I think it's on Ki's) that he had no time to fix anything and nothing extra was added from what was originally recorded on the night of the shows. I'll take him at his word on that.
#303707 by Hiddos
Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:28 am
Every time I have seen Devin live (Haven't seen him as anything else than DTP), he was (they were) near perfect. Devin being Devin, he made sure that everyone did their full best for the shows. I think that's why you can hear them being so awesome.
#303708 by Lettuce
Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:03 am
Although I was pretty much out of it during Ki, I've listened back to all of the shows and none of them sound any different to what they did on the night. If I have to be brutally honest; yeah Kat was miming. The choir sang live but the backing tape was louder than them. Reason? The shows cost an absolute fucking fortune to put on so they did as best they could. So eeeeeither...have shows with backing tapes that arn't HUNDREDPERCENTLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE...or no shows, no DVDs, no Retinal, nada. What'll it be?
#303709 by chillidemon
Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:11 am
I didn't really mind Kat miming really , was just nice to watch the 3 shows I couldn't goto , watching the show Decon which I did goto blew my mind yet again , the sound quality on each dvd is far beyond what I expected so I am more than happy with it , so my 2 pennies is be happy that you have these shows on dvd rather than just a happy memory :)
#303710 by debs
Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:49 am
watching the dvds you can see Kat kept putting her finger to her ear, so she either couldn't hear a backing track there, so something was up with her. She kept looking lost alt. maybe that why they used the album voice I wasn't there live but just going off what you can see
#303726 by Octillus
Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 am
They were most certainly running Katrina's vox that night, so if Kat Epple was very quietly singing, it was overpowered even in Union Chapel.

Honestly I would've preferred if she just never had a Mic. that's the only black mark for me.

The DTP stuff always had more backing tracks live anyway, and Dev sounded exactly as I remembered him sounding. Maybe the gain's up a little, that's basically it.