DTP boxsets galore!
#303797 by fragility
Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:22 pm
So there are a couple of threads going on where we've got gig talk, screwing talk, DVD issues talk, delivery talk and all sorts. Mods, feel free to delete if you think it's unnecessary, but I thought it might be worth having a separate thread for those who've now watched the whole thing to post their thoughts.

So guys, what do you think?
#303852 by Matt08642
Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:54 pm
So far I've watched all the gigs in order, and am now just starting the Ghost show with commentary (I've watched Ki, Addicted, and Decon with commentary).

My verdict is: I have NO IDEA how this boxset was only $50, or how Devin was able to pull this shit off. Simply put, it's amazing.
#303865 by nogster
Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:11 pm
Incredible value. Incredible.
Impeccable production and performances.
The puppets were awesome! I was cracking up watching the mighty masturbator.

NITPICKS.

Too much backing tracks. IE: The deconstruction show had a 4 piece choir but I couldnt hear what they were singing at all. Devin mentions the amount of work they put in but honestly, I have no idea what they did, If they were there for show or actually contributed to the sound.
I understand that Dev's music is heavily layered with lots of backing tracks for his live shows to achieve that iconic Dev sound, but I wouldve liked to hear more "live" vocals over the top of the backing tracks which wouldve added to the authenticity of the show.

um thats it really. This is what I have wanted for years.
Thanks so much Devin for this love letter to fans.

If only we could get every Dev album live in its entirety. or at least the 2 albums regarded by many as his best.
An Ocean Machine and Terria live DVD.
[drooool] One can dream.....
#303867 by Matt08642
Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:02 pm
nogster wrote:Incredible value. Incredible.
Impeccable production and performances.
The puppets were awesome! I was cracking up watching the mighty masturbator.

NITPICKS.

Too much backing tracks. IE: The deconstruction show had a 4 piece choir but I couldnt hear what they were singing at all. Devin mentions the amount of work they put in but honestly, I have no idea what they did, If they were there for show or actually contributed to the sound.
I understand that Dev's music is heavily layered with lots of backing tracks for his live shows to achieve that iconic Dev sound, but I wouldve liked to hear more "live" vocals over the top of the backing tracks which wouldve added to the authenticity of the show.

um thats it really. This is what I have wanted for years.
Thanks so much Devin for this love letter to fans.

If only we could get every Dev album live in its entirety. or at least the 2 albums regarded by many as his best.
An Ocean Machine and Terria live DVD.
[drooool] One can dream.....

I agree to an extent with Decon, but I don't think it would have worked with less backing tracks due to the very nature of it. a choir of 4 people would have sounded thin and weak.

I also forgot to mention: Pixillate being performed was a highlight of the DVDs for me
#303882 by vaijuju
Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:19 pm
Kingdom is my fav dev's song and with Anneke it becomes a master piece! just beautiful! so there's the usual backing track but you can listen the wonderful voice of Anneke ! :D
#303883 by Lolliklauer
Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:35 pm
DVDs are great, Decon and Addicted were fantastic, except for some sloppy encores (understandable, of course, but it could have been better), Ki was very emotional. Ghost... had nice flutes! ;-)

Pixillate is one of my favorite songs, too. But WHY didn
#303884 by debs
Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:25 am
I enjoyed all dvd seeing how ki/ghost went was nice loved the flute never knew ki had flutes. Addicted and decon were fun to see again and i was like I was out there hidden away. I dont mind the eding so much due the choir on decon night got drowned out. Also wished you could see the fans more on the cam shots but oh well amazing dvd for
#303889 by ShortSonata
Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:37 am
debs wrote:I enjoyed all dvd seeing how ki/ghost went was nice loved the flute never knew ki had flutes. Addicted and decon were fun to see again and i was like I was out there hidden away. I dont mind the eding so much due the choir on decon night got drowned out. Also wished you could see the fans more on the cam shots but oh well amazing dvd for
#303922 by hk_mp5a2
Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:11 pm
Amazing concerts--really dug the ki, addicted and ghost sets. I was somewhat underwhelmed with decon. I'm cool with backing tracks for ambient stuff, backing vocals, keys, and the occasional guitar piece during the busy parts, but I was a bit bummed that some of Dev's main vocals and guitar leads were handled by the laptop, and not by the man himself, this time around. In fairness, I get that decon is an insane record to pull off live so I do appreciate the effort--and especially the attempt to make it sound as close to the CD as possible...but sometimes I get the vibe on the decon live stuff that it's four guys jamming along to a CD rather than having 4 guys playing a live song (with the prerecorded stuff only serving to add some atmospherics).

But despite that--killer value and killer shows. When Dev's voice is "on", he is one of the best live singers in this genre.
#303945 by Human Analog
Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:30 pm
The good stuff:
1: Devy and his friends captured in top form.
2: Audio production is tight, and well produced.
3: The live video is edited well. There is nothing I hate more than strobe light camera cuts.
4: commentary track on the live shows.

The bad stuff:
1: Video quality is average at best. It sometimes looks like a VHS conversion. The bright lights bleed, and the footage is grainy.
2: There is only a 2.0 stereo mix on the DVD. I was looking forward to at least 5.1
3: What? no Blu-Ray option when ordering the box set.

But over all it is just petty complaints. I would have given my left and right nuts to have been at those shows. And now I can.
Devy gives and gives every time. I don't want to come off as unappreciative. I just wish more corporate ended people supported him with a bigger budget. He needs it.
#303950 by Matt08642
Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:53 pm
Human Analog wrote:The good stuff:
1: Devy and his friends captured in top form.
2: Audio production is tight, and well produced.
3: The live video is edited well. There is nothing I hate more than strobe light camera cuts.
4: commentary track on the live shows.

The bad stuff:
1: Video quality is average at best. It sometimes looks like a VHS conversion. The bright lights bleed, and the footage is grainy.
2: There is only a 2.0 stereo mix on the DVD. I was looking forward to at least 5.1
3: What? no Blu-Ray option when ordering the box set.

But over all it is just petty complaints. I would have given my left and right nuts to have been at those shows. And now I can.
Devy gives and gives every time. I don't want to come off as unappreciative. I just wish more corporate ended people supported him with a bigger budget. He needs it.

Devin explains in the commentary that he had no idea how to mix 5.1 AND he didn't have time. Also, Bluray would have cost a bunch more money, and that wasn't something they had.
#303965 by BrunoN
Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:38 am
So yeah. Package is awesome - huge, unfolding thing with million of discs inside plus booklet with neat photos. Collector bonus - "RADICAL HIGHWAY" in DVD track list (title's okay on CD tracklist inside the package).

As I mentioned somewhere else - menus are weird - I can't mouseclick anything, only cursor keys work (watched on a PC - in windows media player and VLC, works a bit faster in the latter). Plus chapters don't have song names, only numbers. Weird, none of my music DVDs have that I think, all have song titles. Perhaps rushed authoring or something. Image quality is decent - as an owner of Rush in Rio DVD I have clear comparison how genuinely shitty video looks like :). Everything is well shot, lights are nice too. Nothing to complain about for me, don't have the problem with sound being merely stereo either.

- Ki disc is my favourite, because Ki is my favourite DTP record and it doesn't require that much production magick to shine. Excellent performances, retaining the album dynamics. Remember Disruptr from Superskum's youtube account? It was full on loud, distorted and heavy - It's nothing like that here, full range of sounds from gentle to facemelting, like on CD. Revolving door of musicians is awesome thing too - Mike St. Jean, RVP and Dirk (watch him blast away through Ki!) changing on drums, Dave the Young changing the instruments himself, full set of bassists etc. Plus nice addition of Kat Epples flute, which makes Ain't Never Gonna Win really cool. Small bunch of samples (of absent Che Dorval for example) aren't a problem IMO.

- Addicted suffers quite a bit from a backing tracks (overdubs?) overload. It's great Anneke is here, but some of her vocals seem to be straight from the album, while others are apparenly live - it's a bit WTF. There are moments where everything starts to look karaoke, even Dev's vocals seem to get lost in overall samplesoup. Then there are moments were everything is fine and dandy doesn't make that impression, like during Way Home, ih-ah or encores. Yeah, I like the encores - Pixillate and Kingdom with Annekes parts are fantastic :>

- Deconstruction disc - see Addicted. Poor backing singers are barely present, ton of things seem to be taken from original symphonic tracks. Rest of the band shred their hearts out, most notably Dirk. I really love how the absent guest appearances are made - puppets are fantastic, but the most brilliant guest appearance surely is Joe from Gojira in form of an angry flying whale:

Massive cheesburger is pretty startling too.

- Ghost sounds like ghost alright. Dave plays the real piano and even a mandoline this time - man of exquisite beard and many talents. Shame (again) about the backing tracks - Kat Epple's clearly singing non-her voice here.

Regardless of flaws - good show and value. Even with European price it's still lot of content per euro :). And yeah, I still think vocals were fiddled with a lot
#303966 by debs
Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:57 am
BrunoN wrote:
- Addicted suffers quite a bit from a backing tracks (overdubs?) overload. It's great Anneke is here, but some of her vocals seem to be straight from the album, while others are apparenly live - it's a bit WTF. There are moments where everything starts to look karaoke, even Dev's vocals seem to get lost in overall samplesoup. Then there are moments were everything is fine and dandy doesn't make that impression, like during Way Home, ih-ah or encores. Yeah, I like the encores - Pixillate and Kingdom with Annekes parts are fantastic :>

- Deconstruction disc - see Addicted. Poor backing singers are barely present, ton of things seem to be taken from original symphonic tracks. Rest of the band shred their hearts out, most notably Dirk. I really love how the absent guest appearances are made - puppets are fantastic, but the most brilliant guest appearance surely is Joe from Gojira in form of an angry flying whale:

Massive cheesburger is pretty startling too.

- Ghost sounds like ghost alright. Dave plays the real piano and even a mandoline this time - man of exquisite beard and many talents. Shame (again) about the backing tracks - Kat Epple's clearly singing non-her voice here.

Regardless of flaws - good show and value. Even with European price it's still lot of content per euro :). And yeah, I still think vocals were fiddled with a lot

Poor anne mic got downed by the drums to devy had to try edit them out. She sounded great live and the backing track as choirs of anne on it so it do does albumish, also decon the chor were deft put in from album as i said i was there you couldn't hear them at times
#303967 by vaijuju
Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:02 am
BrunoN wrote: - Addicted suffers quite a bit from a backing tracks (overdubs?) overload. It's great Anneke is here, but some of her vocals seem to be straight from the album, while others are apparenly live - it's a bit WTF. There are moments where everything starts to look karaoke, ....

Agreed I was at the Addicted show ! for Numbered , I like the Anneke' final ..I always hear the same perfect vocal in many shows! sure she sung with the backing vocal track , sometimes they didn't happy with the live and they mute them! Anyway ! some tears for me on Numbered ! what i said in this thread , Kingdom with Anneke is one of the best version ! :)