DTP boxsets galore!
#304171 by Meh
Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:10 pm
Firstly well done to Faffy and especially Violet (Lettuce) for getting mentions onstage and on commentary - what more could a fan want!

The Great Things;

The extras (notably commentaries), packaging, price and Addicted encore. I thought Ki was the best of the four, probably the most emotional live performance I've ever seen and the preamble to redoing Coast was f-ing hilarious! The other performances were pretty solid and I may've had an even better opinion of them if I hadn't watched Ki first. As I quite like the Punky album it was nice to see some tracks get an airing. The effort especially with such limited time and money was very admirable.

The not-so Great;

As per others I didn't like the amount and mix of the backing tracks. I remember that awkward moment with Anneke at the start of Supercrush when she came in late and it just looked like miming to a backing track because you couldn't hear her. Overall I would've preferred much thinner stripped down audio than what's there even if it exposed more faults. Also, I think the vids could've done with some audience shots, it was hard getting a feel without knowing the size of the venue. However, all these are either understandable or minor issues - I'm very happy with the boxset!!
#304196 by Claggy
Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:23 am
The By a Thread teasers on Youtube seem to be better quality than the actual DVDs for me. Is that the case for everyone else? The quality seems more 'blocky' or something on mine (not sure if that's really the word I was looking for, but whatever). Anyway, just want to figure out if it's just me or not.
#304198 by Meh
Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:13 am
Claggy wrote:The By a Thread teasers on Youtube seem to be better quality than the actual DVDs for me. Is that the case for everyone else? The quality seems more 'blocky' or something on mine (not sure if that's really the word I was looking for, but whatever). Anyway, just want to figure out if it's just me or not.

I haven't looked at the trailers but because of the amount of extras on the discs they may've been more heavily compressed.
#304206 by Faffy
Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:12 pm
Meh wrote:Firstly well done to Faffy and especially Violet (Lettuce) for getting mentions onstage and on commentary - what more could a fan want!

Oh, hey! :P
Well.. to be fair... I bribed him with tea and a rather explicit drawing.

Apparently someone also snapped a photo of us and put it in the Ki DVD slide show. I'm not posting it because I look like Beaker from the Muppets in profile. :D But it's pretty rad.

SO awesome to see so many familiar faces in interviews, photos, video footage and elsewhere on the DVDs. I haven't seen half of it, but the Morten and Joel interview was pretty funny. :D
#304208 by Claggy
Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:25 pm
Meh wrote:
Claggy wrote:The By a Thread teasers on Youtube seem to be better quality than the actual DVDs for me. Is that the case for everyone else? The quality seems more 'blocky' or something on mine (not sure if that's really the word I was looking for, but whatever). Anyway, just want to figure out if it's just me or not.

I haven't looked at the trailers but because of the amount of extras on the discs they may've been more heavily compressed.

Good point. That could definitely be why. :)
#304212 by Meh
Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:13 pm
Faffy wrote:Oh, hey! :P

Haha! Still cool though. I'm assuming your real name isn't Faffy so is there some reason he didn't say your real name!?
#304213 by Faffy
Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Meh wrote:
Faffy wrote:Oh, hey! :P

Haha! Still cool though. I'm assuming your real name isn't Faffy so is there some reason he didn't say your real name!?

I have absolutely no idea. xD He signed my poster shortly before that gig, spelled my real name correctly and everything. :P I think I jokingly said "Woah, you DO know my name", and he said "of course!"....so.... I assume he just thinks Faffy sounds funnier. I don't really know how to read minds. D:
#304214 by Meh
Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:10 pm
Thanks for the clarification Faffy! You're probably right - it just sounded better to him in the moment.
#304274 by pandemic
Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:48 pm
really happy with the set. i mean for 50 bucks you cant really complain, nothing can be perfect. there are a lot of flaws in this set but i don't wanna sound like a overanalyzing DICK. would recommend to any devy fan. 9 out of 10 beans.
#304328 by Tang
Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:13 pm
Purple Tentacle wrote:My complaints are pretty much the same as everyone else, in the sense that the backing tracks seem to be drowning everything else most of the time, vocals are not high enough in the mix, etc.

However, I'm confident that there is a reason behind those things. I mean, the way we see it, is like, there's not enough vocals! Bring them up! Easy right? No. There IS a reason why the whole thing sounds the way it sounds, we just don't know everything. Maybe there was indeed a lot of bleed from other instruments in the vocal mics etc. I've heard enough of Devin's productions to know that he has a clue what he's doing.
!

Dev does talk about his production choices on the dvd commentary. As you guessed, there was a shit-ton of high-bleed in the vocal mics that were apparently pretty hard to remove.
#304347 by chrisslight
Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 am
Brilliant DVD! I don't post often but read a lot and as I know you guys post here regularly thought I'd say brilliant job to Lettuce and Faffy! Thank you both for helping to make these shows just that bit more amazing! :D
#304350 by Tyroshai
Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:25 am
You're all welcome. :wink: