DTP boxsets galore!
#304657 by whoppe31
Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am
I am trying to purchase a North American By A Thread box set (DVD + CD) and cannot find it anywhere. I ordered it on deepdiscount.com only to have it show up as "backordered" so I cancelled. I got an email response from CM Distro (also sold out) stating "Thanks for contacting CM Distro. Unfortunately there are no current plans to carry more copies of the box set, sorry. If the box set is restocked in the future or if we happen to receive any unclaimed orders, we will post more copies as available to order automatically." Great.

It's not available on Amazon. It's not available on eBay. What gives?!? I've been looking forward to this set literally since it was announced. I heard there were some DVD problems so I wanted to wait for a bit, but now it appears they are not remanufacturing them and they are not available anywhere. Does anyone have any insight? :cry:
#304660 by whoppe31
Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:45 am
Lettuce wrote:Probably not helpful but HMV.com has it, Play.com has it, Insideout has it, and it's on eBay.

Although I appreciate the reply, those are all PAL DVDs and are incompatible with the NTSC televisions used here in the USA :(

I don't understand why it's not possible to get it anywhere a mere three weeks after release. I don't remember them saying it was an extremely limited release or anything.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
#304661 by Octillus
Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:49 am
whoppe31 wrote:
Lettuce wrote:Probably not helpful but HMV.com has it, Play.com has it, Insideout has it, and it's on eBay.

Although I appreciate the reply, those are all PAL DVDs and are incompatible with the NTSC televisions used here in the USA :(

I don't understand why it's not possible to get it anywhere a mere three weeks after release. I don't remember them saying it was an extremely limited release or anything.

There was a manufacturing error for the US side of things. give it a couple weeks.

Also, hey fellow NYC Dev fan! See you the 23rd of September?
#304664 by whoppe31
Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:31 pm
Octillus wrote:
whoppe31 wrote:

There was a manufacturing error for the US side of things. give it a couple weeks.

Also, hey fellow NYC Dev fan! See you the 23rd of September?

That would be comforting except for the fact that Century Media has explicitly told me "At this time there are no current plans to remanufacture the box set with the corrected DVD" in an email. Additionally (in another email), "Unfortunately there are no current plans to manufacture more copies for our CM Distro store, sorry." Then CM Distro said "Thanks for contacting CM Distro. Unfortunately there are no current plans to carry more copies of the box set, sorry." What makes you think it will be available in a couple of weeks?

I would love to go in September but unfortunately I'm moving across the country right around that time.
#304666 by swervedriver
Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:38 pm
They'll play in your DVD player, but I am not sure whether that still leaves you with the PAL/NTSC issue...
#304667 by EphelDuath666
Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:13 pm
swervedriver wrote:They'll play in your DVD player, but I am not sure whether that still leaves you with the PAL/NTSC issue...

if it's PAL only his TV would not like that at all! The region coding would not matter then. But like I said before, most labels sell NTSC music DVDs nowadays worldwide.
#304668 by whoppe31
Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:36 pm
EphelDuath666 wrote:
swervedriver wrote:They'll play in your DVD player, but I am not sure whether that still leaves you with the PAL/NTSC issue...

if it's PAL only his TV would not like that at all! The region coding would not matter then. But like I said before, most labels sell NTSC music DVDs nowadays worldwide.

Hmmm Dev says they are Region 0 NTSC: http://nb-no.facebook.com/dvntownsend/p ... 3763444446

Now I am trying to determine if US DVD players will play Region 0 DVDs. I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information online. Some sites say that US players are preconfigured to only play Region 1, and that in order to play Region 0 they need to be "region free" players. Some sites say it doesn't matter. Some sites say you can "hack" your player to become region free.

Also, it seems that all European box sets are roughly 100 US dollars. That's way higher than the $45 the North American set was going for :| I guess beggars can't be choosers at this point...
#304670 by Octillus
Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:59 pm
What a major bummer on that. Hrm. Looks like that's the route to go at this point. Yeah, the Addicted disk has some problems, but CM will at least replace that.

Also, I just moved across country from San Francisco in June, so that's kinda funny. Good luck, dude.
#304671 by EphelDuath666
Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:01 pm
whoppe31 wrote:
EphelDuath666 wrote:

Hmmm Dev says they are Region 0 NTSC: http://nb-no.facebook.com/dvntownsend/p ... 3763444446

then it should work without a problem.
#304686 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:09 pm
whoppe31 wrote:
EphelDuath666 wrote:

Now I am trying to determine if US DVD players will play Region 0 DVDs. I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information online. Some sites say that US players are preconfigured to only play Region 1, and that in order to play Region 0 they need to be "region free" players. Some sites say it doesn't matter. Some sites say you can "hack" your player to become region free.

Also, it seems that all European box sets are roughly 100 US dollars. That's way higher than the $45 the North American set was going for :| I guess beggars can't be choosers at this point...

Region 0 is generally playable anywhere. That said, some DVDs may vary. My old XBox (region 4) read some region 0 discs fine, other discs not at all. It's pretty much roulette (sorry if that's little comfort).
#304704 by whoppe31
Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:24 pm
Thanks everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

There is a listing on eBay from an Australian fellow who lists it as being Region 4. I asked if he could confirm the DVD format to see if it is Region 0, and he replied with this:

Thanks for your enquiry & apologies for the delayed response as we wanted to confirm the details with our supplier.
We have been advised that the DVD is in Region 0 however is in PAL format which unfortunately will no play in the USA which utilises and NTSC format.

Aaaaarrrrgghhhh I cannot seem to win! To any of you non-North American Devheads who have the box set, is there any way you could take a look at the packaging and see if there is something that indicates whether it is NTSC or PAL? I am at my wits end!