DTP boxsets galore!
#314962 by BarA
Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:27 am
Hi folks, i ordered the "Contain Us" box set from the U.S. around 4 or 5 weeks ago. Today it arrived but the disc with the Tuska performance on it has some kind of scuff mark, rendering the disc unplayable. As it was all sealed when it arrived, i'm thinking it's been a production fault or something. Is there any way to get it replaced? I spent a lot of money, firstly buying it, then the postage to the U.K., plus a customs charge on top of that and i'm not too happy that it's knackered before i can even watch it.

Hopefully someone can help me fix this?
#314964 by BarA
Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:39 am
And now on listening to the audio discs, they skip as well. I spent $107 on this ($55 for the box set and $52 shipping), then
#314968 by Lettuce
Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:39 am
Who did you buy it from? Contact CMDistro, it sounds pretty damn sketchy to have multiple damaged discs.
#314970 by BarA
Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:46 am
I got it from Inside Out Music in the U.S. And yup, i emailed them but i suppose at weekends there's no-one around. And yeah, it was all shrink wrapped and stuff so no-one has touched them but one dvd either doesn't read at all or when it decides it will, the content skips then the disc stops completely. And this is in a laptop, a pc and a standard dvd player. I noticed when i was ripping the cd's to the pc too, that they were taking ages to finish, when really it should take a couple of minutes. When i listened back, sure enough, the dreaded skippy sound. So god knows what's been going on. I just know that there have been issues with the other box set and wondered if it was the same for this one too.

What i dread is they ask me to ship it back, then when they send another out, i get stung for another customs charge :/
#315023 by BarA
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:21 am
Well, i originally emailed CMDistro on Saturday, then updated and emailed again last night and still heard nothing. I'm hoping they aren't going to ignore it :/
#315110 by KaneRobot
Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:29 pm
Goddammit.

I also just spent a ton on one of these (102 bucks) to get it from Century Media's Ebay. Bonus disc 1 has skipping tracks. According to CM's return policy "buyer pays return shipping on refunds and exchanges" so I'm going to spending a ton more just to send it back...this thing is huge and heavy. Now I'm wondering if I should even bother. I don't want to get a replacement and have more errors and have to spend ANOTHER 20 bucks or whatever to try to get a third exchange.

Looks like the DVDs are ok for me.

I contacted them about the issue through Ebay asking about an exchange and I'm waiting for a response, but I'm not sure what to do now.

EDIT - Bonus CD 2 also skips on one of the tracks. What the fuck. Between this and the bad Addicted DVDs in By A Thread, I'm incredibly hesitant to buy whatever Retinal Circus megapackage eventually goes up for sale.

EDIT 2 - Ghost is bad too. Wow.
#315141 by BarA
Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:05 am
I emailed them and it took a couple of days for them to answer but they got in touch and asked which discs were faulty. By this time i had found that all of them were pretty much skipping, jumping, not reading properly if at all. I told them and offered them picture evidence of scuff marks on the disc that were in the exact position of where the sleeve in the booklet holds them. They never asked me for evidence or to return anything and i got a complete new set of discs today. I told them i'd already spent an arm and a leg getting it and didn't want to have to spend more returning it, then having another customs charge to pay. I still have to check the discs but i'm hoping these ones are ok. As i've been on nightshift, i'm too tired to check them now but i'll let you know what happens. Got to say though, credit where it's due. Not many companies would have sent me the complete set of discs again for nothing.
#315143 by BarA
Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:33 am
Ok, curiosity got the better of me and i tried the replacement discs out and guess what? The three i've tried so far are still faulty. Ghost, Ki and Deconstruction. I really try to support Devin by buying his stuff but this is really pissing me off now. How unlucky is it to have a single knackered disc in a set? Then imagine how unlucky it must be to have a full set knackered. Then replacements arrive and they're fecked as well. This is really not good enough.
#315169 by BarA
Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 pm
Well, the update is, i have now been refunded. So now i have the box set with two complete sets of discs that don't work properly, lol. Hardly ideal but i'm not going to risk buying another set in case this issue happens again. Unbelievable :/
#315173 by Lettuce
Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:17 pm
Have you tried polishing the scuff marks off? You can use a DVD scratch remover kit, they're not very expensive. I did this when a friend of mine gave me a some Wii games (she was the kinda person who chucks the boxes away immediately, found them in a random box then gave them to me loose in her handbag) and they wouldn't boot. It TOTALLY clouds up the reading side, but levels the scratches out. If the printed side is scratched then you will have a permanently damaged disc, but if it's the reading side, it should be salvageable.
#315182 by BarA
Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:46 am
Yeah, i have one of those disc repair thingies here. The thing is i didn't want to have to start trying to repair anything until i knew what CMDistro wanted me to do with them. Now i have a couple of sets though, i may try it. Still raging though. I got this for myself as a Christmas prezzie after a shitty year. Have to say though, CMDistro have been pretty good about it but to be honest, i would rather have had the discs in working order then getting a refund but you win some, you lose some. And really, it'll make me think twice before ordering any other future box sets or special editions, which is a shame.
#315261 by dab-bler
Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:14 pm
As far as DVD2 goes, that is a data DVD. It's readable with a computer DVD drive, but not my standalone DVD player. It took me a while to realize this :x

I had no trouble with the rest of the discs in the set, though.
#315274 by BarA
Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:02 pm
Yeah i realise that one is a data disc.
#315325 by Lettuce
Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:16 pm
Try them on a few friends' computers and DVD players, see if the discs are totally dead. Only saying this cause I had sound issues with series 2 of The League of Gentlemen on DVD, took it back, got another, same problem as before, tried it on a friend's PS2 (this was back when hardly anyone round here had DVD players) and it was fine, subsequently no problems with any other player,just...didn't like my desktop.