The time has come to forget all the bullshit and ROCK!
#267438 by BadassOverlord
Mon May 16, 2011 9:02 pm
Bookwyrm83 wrote:The atmosphere and wall of sound is what we want.
And there's no point in having an album called Epicloud if you have neither.

Unless he changes the title.

I'm talking about the "atmospheric" bits in Ki just used to fill up CD time. Also, Deconstruction was overproduced, for a Devin Townsend album. That's just my (most likely wrong) opinion.
#267486 by tiberiummetalhead
Tue May 17, 2011 4:10 am
me too.......... and yes I think the production of Decon was over the top, its part of its statement and is part of the reason it is a killer album
#267488 by catharsis
Tue May 17, 2011 5:03 am
BadassOverlord wrote:

I'm talking about the "atmospheric" bits in Ki just used to fill up CD time. Also, Deconstruction was overproduced, for a Devin Townsend album. That's just my (most likely wrong) opinion.

if you're referring to bits at the end of songs that seem to drag on, then i don't necessarily agree in regards to Ki but i do feel that way w/ terria (beginning of olive, the end of mountain & the fluke). haven't heard decon yet and who knows how much of epicloud is even written so how can we begin to speculate which will be better?
#267493 by Helge-Uwe
Tue May 17, 2011 5:53 am
catharsis wrote:but i do feel that way w/ terria (beginning of olive, the end of mountain & the fluke)

:| how dare you....
#267503 by CutManMetal
Tue May 17, 2011 6:19 am
Could you define "overproduced"? In regards to Decon? Honest question.

It's an album with symphonies and choirs and stuff. Dev wanted it all clear. Would you prefer it muddier, or something...?
#267513 by catharsis
Tue May 17, 2011 6:42 am
Helge-Uwe wrote:
catharsis wrote:but i do feel that way w/ terria (beginning of olive, the end of mountain & the fluke)

:| how dare you....

ha, just meant the fat could've been trimmed... like 20-30 seconds or something.
#267517 by BadassOverlord
Tue May 17, 2011 7:00 am
CutManMetal wrote:Could you define "overproduced"? In regards to Decon? Honest question.

It's an album with symphonies and choirs and stuff. Dev wanted it all clear. Would you prefer it muddier, or something...?

The wall of sound became so much that parts of the mix were meddled and the wall of guitars and various other instruments drowned out everything, making the record seemingly incomprehensible and it felt as if too much was going on. IE: I know there was a symphony used for the record, but I didn't hear it used to its full effect due to the 30 overdubbed guitars (yes, this is an exaggeration).

I only listened to the album in its entirety probably twice, and not closely, so once again, my opinion is probably wrong.
#267519 by Octillus
Tue May 17, 2011 7:08 am
AHEM.

All decon discussion to the decon spoiler thread please.
#267528 by Faffy
Tue May 17, 2011 7:37 am
catharsis wrote:
BadassOverlord wrote:

if you're referring to bits at the end of songs that seem to drag on, then i don't necessarily agree in regards to Ki but i do feel that way w/ terria (beginning of olive, the end of mountain & the fluke). haven't heard decon yet and who knows how much of epicloud is even written so how can we begin to speculate which will be better?

Not that I'm a musician or a producer or anything, but I bet those parts are the most fun to make. Artists like Dev make atmospheric stuff like that quite often, mostly covered by lots of layers of vocals, bass, guitars, drums, and so on, so you can't really hear much of it... I can see why he would devote some time on his albums to the atmospheric stuff only, and even entire albums. And honestly, I love it. :3
#267600 by CutManMetal
Tue May 17, 2011 12:42 pm
You're right, no spoilers for Decon in this thread, so let's not discuss it. However, I will suggest that listening to a low quality leak is not a good way to tell whether or not everything is comprehensible. Fin. *shrug*

In other news, I dreamed I heard a song from this record. (I fell asleep listening to Accelerated Evolution, so...) It was a good dream.
#267602 by ppinkham
Tue May 17, 2011 12:47 pm
You know, now that I think about it:

This...

@dvntownsend wrote:Writing some spacious, open sounding hard rock stuff.

...plus this...

@dvntownsend wrote:Heavy mellow music. Beautiful, crushing and simple.

...and then throw Anneke in the mix, and I imagine it will sound a bit like some of the stuff from The Gathering.

[youtube]t5PySbFS6Tg[/youtube]
#267609 by Pik_Nick'92
Tue May 17, 2011 1:49 pm
^ That would be awesome in every ultimate way. I love her stuff with The Gathering.
#267723 by Bookwyrm83
Wed May 18, 2011 6:24 am
Imagining all this, think I might go listen to Addicted.