The time has come to forget all the bullshit and ROCK!
#309499 by TerminX
Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 am
I still don't have the friggin' album from Omega.

When I said I wouldn't listen to Epiclouder until I was holding it, I assumed I'd be getting it at a decent time :/ I mean hell, the local Best Buy has the album. Damn.

Still holding out currently, but after hearing so much praise, I dunno for how much longer :/
#309534 by Lemurfist
Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 pm
I got my copy from the Omega the other day. There was no keyvchain so I reamed them out since it was advertised as being included for weeks after my order. They're now sending it to me on its own. I get that they can't send out before the manufacturer supplies them but not including everything advertised and keeping some around the office? Really?
#309553 by Saline
Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:50 pm
ppinkham wrote:
Faffy wrote:Holy crap! Cry Forever sounds like Sonata Arctica and Take My Ego sounds like ABBA. :D Do like.

"Take My Ego" makes me think of this:

[youtube]4sag2z3PzaU[/youtube]

What the hell? It's super obvious that Dev completely copied this song. Does he mention it as a tribute or something somewhere? It has a virtually identical melody, identical chord progression, and the background is virtually identical. It's even in the same key!
#309555 by Tang
Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 pm
ppinkham wrote:
Faffy wrote:Holy crap! Cry Forever sounds like Sonata Arctica and Take My Ego sounds like ABBA. :D Do like.

"Take My Ego" makes me think of this:

[youtube]4sag2z3PzaU[/youtube]

lolol, oh dev.

#309678 by Octillus
Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:24 pm
Oh man. Just dealing with a lot of heavy shit in my personal life lately. Life's fucking heavy. Anyway, I know it could've been another album that hit at the right time at the right moment, but Epicloud's finally clicking.

I need a bit more sweetness in my life right now.
#309679 by bonekrap44
Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:30 pm
Octillus wrote:Oh man. Just dealing with a lot of heavy shit in my personal life lately. Life's fucking heavy. Anyway, I know it could've been another album that hit at the right time at the right moment, but Epicloud's finally clicking.

I need a bit more sweetness in my life right now.

There's seriously a perfect time and place for every Dev song. I was driving home this night and i threw on the Unplugged album and it made a long rainy drive practically magical.
#309680 by myra
Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:36 pm
So it's been a long time since I've posted here. I just came on to say how much I love this album. It's my favorite thing he's done since Synchestra by far. Is reminded me why I live his music so much and why Anneke is my second favorite vocalist of all time. I did not like Deconstruction and Ghost didn't click with me at all. This album hit like a ton of bricks and then some, both musically and lyrically. I became a mother this past year and a lot of the lyrics hit home with that aspect and being in a long term relationship/marriage.

I guess my only regret is that I didn't get to see the tour with Katatonia. My baby is only 6 months and it would have been difficult to leave her for a long period of time.

Well fucking done, Dev.
#309699 by gurp13
Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:31 am
I was thinking the other day about some criticizing Dev for recycling and I had a couple of, what I think are, interesting insights. One is that recycling and pastiche are hallmarks of this generation's artistic expression, particularly in post-modern circles. I don't know that one could fully characterize Dev as post-modern metal, but it fits many of the characteristics.

Second was that I recall reading an author, possibly Faulkner or Hemingway, saying that authors tell the same story but in different forms. I think Coppola also said that directors make the same movie over and over but in different ways. I imagine that it may be similar for other artists, like Dev. They keep singing the same song but in different keys and different melodies, that it is inevitable that there will be similarities.

So, between the pastiche, the recycling, and the same song being sung, it would account for much of what some are mentioning when it comes to this album. It doesn't mean Dev is being lazy or running out of ideas. It is the mode of expression.
#309709 by Bookwyrm83
Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:23 pm
My Thoughts on Cry Forever/Take My Ego:

Cry Forever is the best of the two (though I like them both), really packs a punch and gets my energy going. Personally I feel this should have been on the disc, but then again, I'm not really into the whole "iTunes-exclusive" deal that happens these days.

Take My Ego is something I could envision being played as the second last song at a concert, with everyone waving lighters.