The time has come to forget all the bullshit and ROCK!
#310440 by Octillus
Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:47 am
Matt08642 wrote:I actually winced a bit at how cheesy the whole "LIVE! LAUGH! LOVE! LEARN!" bit in Grace is the other day. Embarrassingly shitty lyrics IMO.

Image


Wow, so simplistic emotional frankness is shitty? I hope you grow up someday for your own sake, lad. I mean opinions are obviously welcome, but yours come across as emotionally stunted and childish.

Like, I have no problem with people who don't love this album. It took me a while, personally, and I still don't think it's in the higher pantheon of his work at all, but I enjoy it, and I enjoy its simple emotions because that's what I'm looking for out of it.
#310442 by Octillus
Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:58 am
TerminX wrote:I disagree, I think it's charming in it's simplicity, and yet impressive in it's delivery

There are some really bad lines on this album though, more than Dev usually has. Like most of Lucky Animals and Divine.


This I agree with entirely. The things that don't work for me on this album are basically those two songs (though lucky animals isn't making me hate myself anymore which means I probably should hate myself now), lyrically Divine is a little bit trite as well. But overall the lyrics are just simple sentiments, simple sentiments when said without all attachments that make them all the more meaningful, to me at least.

I also don't really care that much for Hold On, which I'm pretty sure is a crime in Finland now. They love their lighter waving.
#310447 by Bookwyrm83
Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:24 am
Lucky Animals, while I like it, is the one that clicks with me least, despite the fact it's the biggest earworm.
Divine I feel more warm towards, just because I relate to it so well, despite its lyrical simplicity. Then again, for a song like that, he doesn't need a thesaurus - just the feelings.
#310451 by Seirenes
Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:28 am
Matt08642 wrote:I actually winced a bit at how cheesy the whole "LIVE! LAUGH! LOVE! LEARN!" bit in Grace is the other day. Embarrassingly shitty lyrics IMO.

Image


I can easily agree with you wincing but calling them embarrassingly shitty is something I thought was reserved for Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj lyrical output, not Devin.
#310454 by Faffy
Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:40 am
Uhm... I think that sentiment is supposed to be over-the-top-cheesy. It's simple and straight forward, which really fits with the album... and it's not like it's supposed to be amazingly deep and hardcore poetic. It is exactly as cheesy and clich
#310455 by ctfod
Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 am
Octillus wrote:
Matt08642 wrote:I actually winced a bit at how cheesy the whole "LIVE! LAUGH! LOVE! LEARN!" bit in Grace is the other day. Embarrassingly shitty lyrics IMO.

Image


Wow, so simplistic emotional frankness is shitty? I hope you grow up someday for your own sake, lad. I mean opinions are obviously welcome, but yours come across as emotionally stunted and childish.

Like, I have no problem with people who don't love this album. It took me a while, personally, and I still don't think it's in the higher pantheon of his work at all, but I enjoy it, and I enjoy its simple emotions because that's what I'm looking for out of it.

I think I've expressed my opinion on Grace well enough, but stringing together a jumble of words, including the bulk of the lyrics for the rest of the song, is indeed a little shitty, and there's nothing emotionally stunted or childish about thinking it. In fact, I'd be a bit more inclined to say its childish to call that trainwreck of a song 'simplistic emotional frankness', since there is no real conveyance of much emotion, barring Anneke's intro where all the elements combine and become far more coherent.
#310463 by ShortSonata
Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:48 am
ctfod wrote:
Octillus wrote:
Matt08642 wrote:I actually winced a bit at how cheesy the whole "LIVE! LAUGH! LOVE! LEARN!" bit in Grace is the other day. Embarrassingly shitty lyrics IMO.

Image


Wow, so simplistic emotional frankness is shitty? I hope you grow up someday for your own sake, lad. I mean opinions are obviously welcome, but yours come across as emotionally stunted and childish.

Like, I have no problem with people who don't love this album. It took me a while, personally, and I still don't think it's in the higher pantheon of his work at all, but I enjoy it, and I enjoy its simple emotions because that's what I'm looking for out of it.

I think I've expressed my opinion on Grace well enough, but stringing together a jumble of words, including the bulk of the lyrics for the rest of the song, is indeed a little shitty, and there's nothing emotionally stunted or childish about thinking it. In fact, I'd be a bit more inclined to say its childish to call that trainwreck of a song 'simplistic emotional frankness', since there is no real conveyance of much emotion, barring Anneke's intro where all the elements combine and become far more coherent.

Actually, I think you'll find my opinion is right because words.
#310469 by Octillus
Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:16 pm
Anyway, regardless, I like Grace because really at this point in the record it's more of a simple universal statement, that frankly I tend to believe in (and have believed in longer than some bald musician I like committed it to record). It is simple and repetitive but I personally think it gets the point across.


I'm sorry you don't like Grace, and you have your reasons and that's totally fine, but from the main record, it's the only one I really give a shit about.
#310470 by Luna Moon
Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:31 pm
I've gotta say, the first time I heard "Grace" in its entirety was last month at the Rams Head Live show in Baltimore.

As much as I wish I had embraced all the different personalities of Devin in the past, I apparently hadn't been ready for him until now - and I'm obsessed with everything his musical career has to offer! So I'm playing A LOT of catch-up - and spending a lot of money in the process, 'cause I only had a few of the many records until now.

Anyway, back to where I started - I was absolutely amazed, enthralled, overjoyed - all those adjectives - to experience such POWERFUL and POSITIVE lyrics at a metal show! The energy was fantastic; the crowd, just perfect! I think the *sometimes* ironic way in which the lyrics don't "fit" the music is precisely what makes Devin's music such a wonderful beast! It's like he says in the Epicloud listening party - Why not talk about something heavy - like love - in heavy music? LOVE IT!!! "Grace", for these reasons and so many more, is probably my favorite on this album!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest