The time has come to forget all the bullshit and ROCK!
#308191 by NamasteLikeBender
Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:23 am
Seriously, if Devin made a record of just Heatwave-ish songs, I would never listen to anything else. That and Woah No! are easily my two favorite songs on Epiclouder, with the former approaching Grace and Liberation in terms of overall HOLY FUCKitude.
#308193 by coreylondon
Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:12 am
the first time i listened to it I thought it was thin and he should have sat on it and used stuff for other projects (heatwave I imagined could be in Casualties, Whoa No!'s riff could easily be incorporated in to the Ziltoidian universe) but after a second listen I now see it as the TRUE bridge to whats coming next for him (even more so then the first disk, that one's more reactionary to his last 4)

Now is a real treat!

Would have loved a world where Epicloud was officially a double album across the board and in every platform.
Last edited by coreylondon on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
#308194 by Tang
Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:26 am
Quietus. Seriously, what am I listening to?

The Mind Wasp. Seriously, what am I listening to? Interesting hearing the bass as lead instrument. Really digging it, and it gets pretty heavy in a Ki'ish way.
:happy:
#308201 by anoxiauk
Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:05 am
Seeing as Dev had said that Epicloud was gonna cover the whole spectrum from the previous four albums, i think Socialization should've been between Hold On and Angel on the main album. Might have spoiled the more poppy vibe though i guess...
#308206 by Liampie
Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:55 am
Believe: hasn't grabbed me yet
Happy Birthday: amazing.
Quietus: love the dark groove, especially in the intro. Could've been on Ki!
Heatwave: amazing, pure fun.
Love Tonight: a good song, but not as good as the previous three. Chorus is kinda dull...
The Mind Wasp: Reminds me of Muse (Black Holes and Revelation) a little.
Woah no!: lol, crazy intro. SYL+Infinity indeed is an accurate description. Love the Infinity bits, SYL not so much.
Love and Marriage: totally love the atmosphere in this song.
Socialization: I'm not a fan of this kind of heaviness, but there are definitely moments I enjoy. The intro for example. The last two minutes are beautiful, like on Ghost level beautiful.
Little Pig: not my type of song.

Overall a very good 'disc'.

Happy Birthday, Heatwave and Where We Belong is pretty much what I expected Epicloud to sound like. Seems like Devin pushed some of the 'ethereal, romantic stuff' he announced back to the bonus disc to make room for more heavy rock songs. I wish both discs were a little more consistent, atmosphere-wise, but I'm happy anyway. It's good music.
#308212 by KeasbyNights
Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:28 am
Upon my first listen through, I really liked Believe, Heatwave, Woah No!, and I especially liked Little Pig. I also got a kind of Pink Floyd vibe from it. Awesome Bonus CD. I'm still smiling from how awesome that concert was last night. The sound waves coming out of the amp I stood in front of were so powerful I swear it knocked a burp back in my mouth at one point.
#308213 by KeasbyNights
Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:30 am
hunter_mc wrote:
Liampie wrote:
Octillus wrote:We just have a tradition of suggesting new art for things that don't have anything official.

CONTEST!!!! :D

Btw, I'm totally using this. :D
#308219 by orbsonb
Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:22 am
i think heat wave is the catchiest song devin's ever written. the chorus is really awesome.

"sweeeeet pouring rain
on the freeewaaaaaaaay
in the eveniiiiiiiiiiiiiiing"

that's some earworm type shit. also can't get enough of Woah No! all these choruses are so memorable.

one of the things i don't like so much about the main disc is that for an album that's so bright and polished, there aren't a lot of really strong hooks on a lot of the songs and when there are strong hooks they aren't repeated enough (with some exceptions). an extra verse and chorus in Liberation would have made it a lot better, imo, as would more elaboration on the "i love you" hook in True North. on this bonus disc, everything feels a lot more natural and balanced. don't get me wrong, weird song structures are fine, but it feels like a lot of the catchiness that should have been inherent in Epicloud (because of its nature) got a little neutered by the LACK of predictability and it made the whole record into a bit too much of a clusterfuck. even though stylistically the songs on Epiclouder are much stranger, i feel like Devin did himself a great service by making the hooks stick out more.
#308234 by sylkicks
Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:49 am
Listened to Epiclouder on the ride home from the show last night (7 hours, baybuh), and wow... really different. Still feel like it needs a proper listen to be digested. I think the combo of me being half deaf from the show and the sounds of my car (and driving at 5 in the morning, tired as all fuck) sort of squashed the nuances. Will have a proper thought on it soon.