The time has come to forget all the bullshit and ROCK!
#308083 by Octillus
Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:36 am
Can we talk about this? Holy shit.
13/10. Not that this matters to me, but it's also definitely the heavier of the two.

Anyway, this is its own thread, because frankly I feel like Epiclouder has more identity as an individual album than Ghost 2 ever did (non-completion aside).

And yes, the gaps between tracks are confirmed as being on the CD.

Made album artwork out of this still from lucky animals:

And just after tooling around for a couple minutes in Photoshop. I'm not pretending I didn't just mess with filters and cool fonts. I'm not a good photoshop wizard. Honestly, I only like the font.

By all means make your own art, I want to see it.
#308092 by Octillus
Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:47 am
Ultimetalhead wrote:Google is your friend.

Also, oh my god. I don't want to spoil it, but I lol'd so hard at the...uh, mistake on Love and Marriage.

Eh this is a spoiler thread. Basically there's no real speculation associated with a bonus album (I am done calling it a bonus disk) that has been sold to folks in person at this point.

Basically it's spoiler discussion until official release on the 18th.

For what it's worth, this was purchased for me by a San Francisco liaison who happened to be there on the 7th. That's how I know the gaps are there physically. And no, I did not leak it online.
#308093 by Ultimetalhead
Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:54 am
Oh, I know, but it's something that would be a lot funnier if you didn't know what it was beforehand.

Also, holy mother fuck at Socialization. That song is exactly how I would picture SYL to sound if they reformed today. It's downright ferocious, but it still has that positive energy.
#308094 by Octillus
Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:55 am
Ultimetalhead wrote:Oh, I know, but it's something that would be a lot funnier if you didn't know what it was beforehand.

Also, holy mother fuck at Socialization. That song is exactly how I would picture SYL to sound if they reformed today. It's downright ferocious, but it still has that positive energy.

Oh yeah, I was trying to avoid talking about SYL parallels, but Socialization and Woah No! and even Love and Marriage have more shades of SYL than anything since The New Black.

Knew it was still in there, even if it's muted.
#308102 by robvondoom
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:13 am
I was expecting a few nuggets of quality surrounded by a bunch of "meh". What I have is a seperate and equally oustanding album.
I've given up trying to express my love and appreciation for Dev's talent and prolificacy.
#308103 by ppinkham
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:32 am
It's good. Really good. I wouldn't say I like it more than 'Epicloud,' because I love that CD. I think it is an age thing and Dev and I just happen to be wallowing in nostalgia for our 80's days at the same time. Old people. But 'Epiclouder' is a great album, nonetheless. He should have saved it for a later, unrelated release since to me it doesn't feel like an extension of 'Epicloud,' but a distraction. It stands too much on its own, and should really be appreciated apart. We didn't get a double album. We got two extremely solid new albums. Awesome shit. It deserves more than it is getting as a "bonus."
#308104 by Octillus
Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:37 am
ppinkham wrote:It's good. Really good. I wouldn't say I like it more than 'Epicloud,' because I love that CD. I think it is an age thing and Dev and I just happen to be wallowing in nostalgia for our 80's days at the same time. Old people. But 'Epiclouder' is a great album, nonetheless. He should have saved it for a later, unrelated release since to me it doesn't feel like an extension of 'Epicloud,' but a distraction. It stands too much on its own, and should really be appreciated apart. We didn't get a double album. We got two extremely solid new albums. Awesome shit. It deserves more than it is getting as a "bonus."

Heh, I don't disagree on any points.

For what it's worth, I grew up with 80s music, but I was always a Priest, Dio, Iron Maiden kinda kid, Epicloud only partially scratches some of that itch.

Also, for what it's worth, I think Epiclouder scratches the other 80s side of the coin, the more alternative out there stuff. Well, until it gets heavy towards the end.
#308107 by Ultimetalhead
Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:15 am
Quietus is very Ki-like. Honestly, though, any of these songs would have killed Epicloud's flow pretty soundly. I'm not getting any vibes of "Oh man why wasn't this on the album?" at all. Of course, the lack of the choir might have something to do with it, since it's such a huge part of the main record. Maybe if some of the songs were given the full treatment, I could see their relation. For example, I noticed Heatwave was in the original tracklist instead of Lessons, and I'd say that was a major bullet dodged. I can't even picture anything remotely upbeat after the ass-kicking from More!.

I'm still kind of shying away from calling it its own album, because it doesn't seem to have that "flow" that every Dev album has, but maybe I'll find one with repeated listens. Right now it feels like what it is, a collection of B-sides.
#308108 by Octillus
Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:32 am
Dude, I dunno, I think it flows pretty damn well, or at least as well as Addicted or Accelerated Evolution do. It's not the long drawn out kinda connectivity, but let's not forget that most albums by most people are just an LP of track after track. These don't feel all that randomly placed, since it starts from a quieter place, ramps up, and then mellows out in the end.

Kinda a mini DTP when you think about it.

I mean, I don't think these would've fit in regular Epicloud, either except maybe heatwave/love tonight, but I still think this is its own album.