#310243 by Tang
Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:21 pm
Northern Music Company & InsideOutMusic in association with Live Music Stage proudly presents:

Devin Townsend
#310247 by Teej
Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 pm
I saw this posted on FB and just about shat myself. :D 13 bucks is a bit steep for something I can't watch ever again (until I pay again for the DVD when it comes out), but hey, before this there was no chance I was going to see it, being in the US and all. For $13, hell I'll take it! Thanks to Dev and his management for working this out for us!
#310252 by TerminX
Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:16 pm
Aaaaaw come on, Dev.

I can't watch it, I'm going to go see Coheed and Cambria that day. And since the drive's long as fuck, I can't just leave after the show ends. I don't guess there'll be a "record" option either :/

Also, this is the first I've ever heard of charging people to view a livestream. That sounds pretty dumb to me, since there's no physical ticket limitation. I could see charging a little bit as a way to get some extra dosh (which is something I really wouldn't mind), but $13? For a show you aren't actually at? And $13 that doesn't at all go toward the live dvd when it releases? I'm not at all happy about that.

That said, I'd probably still do it anyway, since Dev deserves the money. But still. I'm not super happy it exists.

And I suppose the DVD won't release for a few months after this, so I may have to avoid these forums entirely for fear of spoilers. For several months. Damn.

This would be so cool if it weren't on the 27th, lol
#310253 by Tang
Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:26 pm
TerminX wrote:Aaaaaw come on, Dev.

I can't watch it, I'm going to go see Coheed and Cambria that day. And since the drive's long as fuck, I can't just leave after the show ends. I don't guess there'll be a "record" option either :/

Also, this is the first I've ever heard of charging people to view a livestream. That sounds pretty dumb to me, since there's no physical ticket limitation. I could see charging a little bit as a way to get some extra dosh (which is something I really wouldn't mind), but $13? For a show you aren't actually at? And $13 that doesn't at all go toward the live dvd when it releases? I'm not at all happy about that.

That said, I'd probably still do it anyway, since Dev deserves the money. But still. I'm not super happy it exists.

And I suppose the DVD won't release for a few months after this, so I may have to avoid these forums entirely for fear of spoilers. For several months. Damn.

I suppose it's essentially pay-per-view. I know Blizzard charged to stream Blizzcon every year.

Regardless, $13 seems a fair price, so long as the stream quality is top-notch and won't cut out randomly.
#310266 by Tang
Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:31 pm
Octillus wrote:
Tang wrote:
Northern Music Company & InsideOutMusic in association with Live Music Stage proudly presents:

Devin Townsend
#310280 by RobD
Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:29 am
Tang wrote:
TerminX wrote:Aaaaaw come on, Dev.

I suppose it's essentially pay-per-view. I know Blizzard charged to stream Blizzcon every year.

Regardless, $13 seems a fair price, so long as the stream quality is top-notch and won't cut out randomly.

Yeah, I don't see how it's any different from pay-per-view wrestling, and that's about 3 hours of over the top theatrical fun too :P

Although it's waaaay cheaper than PPV wrestling :wink:
#310282 by Tyroshai
Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:47 am
There's a guy on last.fm complaining about the price, to which I responded:

"If you haven't paid
#310288 by TerminX
Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:56 am
Charging for a stream is something I've never heard of, and I do think the cost is too high.

-There is no physical ticket limitation that requires them to have a certain price
-Even if you pay to watch this stream, you'll have to pay again to get the DVD/Blu Ray (Which I imagine many are)
-$13 is somewhat steep considering you're not actually there at all (I've been to actual shows that costed less)
-It's impossible to know the quality of the stream before purchasing your ticket

EDIT: I'm not the guy you were arguing with, though. Just stating my opinion.

And for those curious: I emailed them asking whether it would be possible to buy a ticket and watch the event later, and they told me that that won't happen, and basically said wait for the release.

So, I guess that's what I'll do. But I'm gonna stay away from these forums after the show until the thing releases to avoid spoilers. Dev said on Facebook that they expected Q2 2013, so I'll see you guys in several months I guess :x
#310290 by Octillus
Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:03 am
TerminX wrote:So, I guess that's what I'll do. But I'm gonna stay away from these forums after the show until the thing releases to avoid spoilers. Dev said on Facebook that they expected Q2 2013, so I'll see you guys in several months I guess :x

Or you could, y'know give it a day and look around online. But if you want to avoid the forums altogether, be my guest.
#310291 by Lettuce
Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:09 am
It's not just going to be all over the forums :P Unless you can avoid the internet outright.

I'm sure the streaming service has their charging fees, so if the DTP are gonna get any cash from it, it probably won't be that much.
But you know, if you don't want to watch the stream you don't have to. It wasn't an option until last night, so now you have at least that.
#310295 by Tyroshai
Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:46 am
TerminX wrote:Charging for a stream is something I've never heard of, and I do think the cost is too high.

-There is no physical ticket limitation that requires them to have a certain price
-Even if you pay to watch this stream, you'll have to pay again to get the DVD/Blu Ray (Which I imagine many are)
-$13 is somewhat steep considering you're not actually there at all (I've been to actual shows that costed less)
-It's impossible to know the quality of the stream before purchasing your ticket

EDIT: I'm not the guy you were arguing with, though. Just stating my opinion.

Yeah man, I understand your concerns but I feel the pro's totally outweigh the cons here.
Have you been to a 3+hr showcase of a single artist's retrospective career w/theatrics, visual representations of the music, sideshows, special guests and an art gallery for less than $13? Sure I've been to many gigs that costed less, but even though you're not physically there, for the equivalent of
#310315 by Tyroshai
Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:39 pm
fragility wrote:
Tyroshai wrote:
EDIT: Wasn't meant to sound harsh/snotty in any way, just also stating my opinion. :)

Well where's the fun in that! :wink:

:wink: