#311500 by Octillus
Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:56 pm
Matt08642 wrote:Another question because I only have audio, who was serving as the Herman the Planet Smasher?

Black Metal Guy incognito.
#311508 by izumix
Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:08 am
Lettuce wrote:Planet Smasher was Dom Lawson.

Thanks Letteuce!

It's a very long Sunday for me. I woke up 3 am, watched Devin the stream, prepared breakfast for my family, did the laundry, went to a movie theater & a burger restaurant with my daughter, and now I cook for dinner...

The Retinal Circus was full of Devin's humor and totally amazing. The streaming sounds mix was bit of wrong, but I was so excited for the epic show.

Looking forward to see DVD/BlueRay :D
#311522 by BrunoN
Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:54 am
Money well spent, even if stream was in fact a bit dodgy in the second half. Mix was sometimes off too, especially at the beginning, with overly loud vocals and the "soul driven" intro bit where Anneke got almost completely muted out.

Other than that - cheesy, over the top fun and good performance. I've seen some people on livestream chat thingie complaining about vocals and compare them to the DVD without realization how post-polished the DVD is - I for one was glad to be able to see and hear the show before it inevitably gets heavily patched in postproduction. Show was long and heavy, considering that Devin and (especially) Anneke did great job. I kinda came to terms with excessive backing tracks - apparently recreating seventyhunredmillion vocal tracks is impossible live, so just keep the lead vocals intact and I'm ok. Onstage going ons were bizarre and visibly overwhelming to the performers sometimes (Anneke's face during the chaos behind her back during "War") - I kinda prepared myself to this beforehand, reading stuff about stage props on the forums and all :).

Oh and setlist was swell, some really unexpected (and welcome) stuff there.

EDIT: I forgot to quote the gem from the chat: during "The greys" and aliens walking on stage - "Better alien story than Prometheus"
#311536 by BenPuritanSlain
Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:16 am
BrunoN wrote:EDIT: I forgot to quote the gem from the chat: during "The greys" and aliens walking on stage - "Better alien story than Prometheus"

This is so very true lol
#311541 by mikejs
Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:03 am
Matt08642 wrote:So I "got" a copy of the audio from the stream, and I was wondering, was it mixed SUPER poorly during the actual stream? Or is this some kind of awful rip??

It sounds like Devin and Anneke's vocals are mega loud and the rest of the band is sort of light background music.

I have no doubt this whole thing will sound killer on the surround sound bluray Devin mentioned a while back, but I would have been somewhat disappointed if I had been watching live, lol :lol:

At the gig, if anything it was the other way around. Anneke especially was hard to hear over the band at times, at least where we were.

No doubt all will be fixed for the bluray...
#311544 by NamasteLikeBender
Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:47 am
Watching this now. This looks even crazier than I expected, especially since the venue is so large.

REALLY pleased with the how they added Anneke to a bunch of parts.
#311546 by shredi knight
Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:11 pm
I was going to ask for someone to post the setlist of the show for those of us who didn't attend/watch the stream, but I decided to Google it instead, so here it is. :)

First Set:

Effervescent!
True North
Lucky Animals
Planet of the Apes
Truth
(Devin Townsend song)
War
(Devin Townsend song)
Planet Smasher
(Devin Townsend song)
Babysong
(The Devin Townsend Band cover)
Vampolka
Vampira
Addicted!
Color Your World
(Devin Townsend song)
The Greys
(Devin Townsend song)

Second Set:

Hyperdrive
(Devin Townsend song) (Devin solo acoustic)
Ih-Ah!
Where We Belong
Detox
(Strapping Young Lad cover) (with Jed Simon)
Bend It Like Bender!
(with Jed Simon)
Life
(Devin Townsend song)
Kingdom
(Devin Townsend song)
Juular
Love?
(Strapping Young Lad cover) (with Jed Simon)
Wild Colonial Boy
(Devin Townsend song)
Grace
Encore:
Little Pig
(with Jed Simon) (Premiere: First time ever)
#311549 by pandemic
Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:16 pm
its on youtube. wish i could find a link to d/l it without a shitty converter

really not feeling the whole story/steve vai commentary.
#311563 by BenPuritanSlain
Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:45 pm
Having been there last night and thinking the sound overall was awesome, just watching back this link the someone has put on YouTube, the vocals almost completely overpower everything in the mix.

But as everyone has said, it'll be fixed by the time it comes round for commercial release.

Still, the sound in the venue last night was awesome! I heard someone saying in the interval the sound was to quiet and too thin. I had earplugs in, and all I can say is that everything was loud as hell still. The sub hits literally almost made me soil myself.