This is my request, wish me the best
#262889 by ppinkham
Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:08 am
The Dev wrote:A thought in the downloading debate:

I went to Dillinger Escape Plan and Deftones tonight. Great show...

A Deftones hoodie was $75

Seventy. Five. Dollars.

Is the cost of touring going to keep escalating to make everybody a living at that level? If so... who could possibly afford 75$ for a hoodie?

...then again...2 beers were 15$ for my friends. Just seems like prices keep rising... maybe it has no link, but then again...?

Anyways...

The last Metallica show I went to in the late 90's had hoodies for sale for $80US. I remember Van Halen in the mid 90's were selling them for about $65US. Shirts ranged from $25-$45 about that time, too. I didn't think it would take this long for the smaller bands to start charging those prices. I'd expect to pay $75 for a hoodie at any show now. It is expensive, but what can we do but refuse to buy? What does that do to the artist?
#262890 by The Dev
Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:26 am
Hmm. I didn't know that. I never go to shows.

Never mind... :)
#262893 by catharsis
Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:49 am
that's insane no matter who it is. the most i've ever seen a hoodie is around $50 US and i've been to a ton of shows. some bigger bands may have been more but i can't remember. bought a type o negative hoodie for about $30 at a CD store back in late 90's. can't understand who would pay that much... supporting the band is one thing but give us a break. don't they understand they'd probably sell a lot more if it was less money? i dunno who sets those prices (management, record label, venue) but they're out of their freaken minds.
#262894 by Octillus
Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:52 am
The Dev wrote:Hmm. I didn't know that. I never go to shows.

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO START SUPPORTING THE SCENE, MAAAAN? (Actual quote from someone in my hometown years ago)
#262896 by RobD
Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:00 am
I was really nicely surprised at how reasonable Devy's merch was when I was him last month. I'm so used to seeing t-shirt be £25-£30 (about $40-50 US) when I see bands that it was good to see something that the average attendee could actually afford.

On topic, Fall is really nice. 8) Great to hear the studio version finally.
#262898 by ppinkham
Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:09 am
The Dev wrote:Hmm. I didn't know that. I never go to shows.

It's still as expensive as hell, though. And honestly, all I could ever afford at a show was maybe a shirt or two. After tickets that ranged from $40-$120 each, fuck the hoodie. lol

Now, with the big bands I don't feel the "need to support the artist" thing that I do with the smaller bands. It's hard to justify paying $80 for a hoodie at a Metallica show because those guys bathe in millions a year, and it isn't even going to be a quality item. It will probably fade and shrink disproportionately, and I'll only ever get to wear it once.

I'm much more willing to fork over funds for merchandise at smaller shows where I know it makes a difference.

Devin has his calculator out right now: "Wait, if I was charging $75 for a hoodie, how much would I have made last tour? Oh...my...god!!!" lol
#262899 by Faffy
Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:11 am
RobD wrote:I was really nicely surprised at how reasonable Devy's merch was when I was him last month. I'm so used to seeing t-shirt be £25-£30 (about $40-50 US) when I see bands that it was good to see something that the average attendee could actually afford.

On topic, Fall is really nice. 8) Great to hear the studio version finally.

Yeah, Dev's merch is a lot cheaper than most (if not all) band merch I've come across. And as a result I buy more of it -> wear it more often -> Devy gets more promotion -> WIN WIN. :mrgreen:

(Still can't get those t-shirts to fit though... yet *squeezes*)
#262902 by Tonya Elf
Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:57 am
The Dev wrote:A thought in the downloading debate:

I went to Dillinger Escape Plan and Deftones tonight. Great show...

A Deftones hoodie was $75

Seventy. Five. Dollars.

Is the cost of touring going to keep escalating to make everybody a living at that level? If so... who could possibly afford 75$ for a hoodie?

...then again...2 beers were 15$ for my friends. Just seems like prices keep rising... maybe it has no link, but then again...?

Anyways...

...and it's never a good idea to carry a whole bunch of money around. I'd love to get a t-shirt from every show I go to, but just can't swing it. When I used to live in Lancaster, PA there was this "punk" store called Angry, Young, and Poor. I don't think anything in that place was less than $50 (and we're talking about 15 years ago). Don't know why I just thought of that.
#262905 by tk6yG2
Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 am
$75 for a hoodie? Man... I'm all for supporting the artist and do everything I can.. but that's just insane.
#262907 by barackobaka
Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:00 am
Regulated1000 wrote:New DTP song from Ghost 2. :D

Fall

Beautiful!
#262911 by Sanne
Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:54 am
ppinkham wrote:'Fall' is beautiful. It's all floaty and spacey, then at the end I was "WTF?" Awesome and unexpected.

Yeah, like I said, I love the ending! I can't wait to hear more songs!
(BTW I follow you on Twitter now ppinkham, I hope that is okay? I saw you in someone else's follow-list and I recognized your face from here)
#262915 by Faffy
Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:16 pm
Listening to Fall is a really odd experience. I can get completely lost in it, and when it's done I'm like... "what was I just listening to? How did that song go again?" So i play it over again, get completely lost, and the cycle repeats itself. I love it. :]
That's how you know you've made sustainable music, I think.
#262917 by ppinkham
Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:33 pm
Sanne wrote:
ppinkham wrote:'Fall' is beautiful. It's all floaty and spacey, then at the end I was "WTF?" Awesome and unexpected.

Yeah, like I said, I love the ending! I can't wait to hear more songs!
(BTW I follow you on Twitter now ppinkham, I hope that is okay? I saw you in someone else's follow-list and I recognized your face from here)

Yeah, that's fine. I follow you now, too. Be prepared to be underwhelmed. lol
#262918 by Sanne
Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:43 pm
Same for you :)