This is my request, wish me the best
#300770 by Eyesore
Thu May 03, 2012 8:48 pm
Octillus wrote:
Eyesore wrote:And Devin isn't singing on this one?

I miss the days when bands put this info on their website. If I'm not there right at the moment Devin tweets something, I miss it.

It's kind of a pain, isn't it? I mean the problem is with Dev more or less running the ship, and being craaaazy busy, it kinda requires people to be on top of things.

These forums are probably the best portal for all of that info to be honest, though it probably shouldn't be.

It is. But it's not just Devin. Nearly every band out there does this. Social media sites are great, but you should still supply news and updates in the old way, as website updates.

But that immediate fix is what people want now. Over at Shock Totem, our forum used to get a lot of traffic. Once Facebook, and especially Twitter, became popular, people disappeared. I can dig up a thread from eight years ago on this forum, you know, but I can hardly find a tweet or Facebook update from yesterday, let alone days or weeks or months ago. It sucks.

And this isn't just some Old Dude Complaining thing, you know. Haha.
#300772 by Octillus
Thu May 03, 2012 8:57 pm
Well, it's just simply not a good business practice. (lol musicians and business)

I've been working for a news site for the last couple of years, and we're well versed in SEO and web best practices. You want things to show up in search traffic, and you want folks to continue to check in with your product.

With Dev, it couldn't hurt to at least have your products on your webpage up to date. People need to know what they can expect to purchase. Don't get me wrong, his fanbase is pretty rabid, but I have general metal friends who didn't even know he had followed up addicted!

Social networking is wonderful, but it's not a catch-all, you lose your casual audience. Dev's in a ton of print media over in the UK and Europe, so he's good for it over there, but we just don't read print magazines over here, and just a slight fix would do very well for him in the long run.

But that's literally just my opinion.
#300774 by Eyesore
Thu May 03, 2012 9:22 pm
Octillus wrote:Well, it's just simply not a good business practice. (lol musicians and business)

I've been working for a news site for the last couple of years, and we're well versed in SEO and web best practices. You want things to show up in search traffic, and you want folks to continue to check in with your product.

With Dev, it couldn't hurt to at least have your products on your webpage up to date. People need to know what they can expect to purchase. Don't get me wrong, his fanbase is pretty rabid, but I have general metal friends who didn't even know he had followed up addicted!

Social networking is wonderful, but it's not a catch-all, you lose your casual audience. Dev's in a ton of print media over in the UK and Europe, so he's good for it over there, but we just don't read print magazines over here, and just a slight fix would do very well for him in the long run.

But that's literally just my opinion.

But it's right.

There are bands out there that have only a Facebook page and nowhere is there a mention of their discography. For someone new to the band, they might as well have no albums available. It annoys the hell out of me when I discover a band but can find no info on their albums. I shouldn't have to scour the Internet for this info, you know; the band should provide it.
#300826 by Drowd
Fri May 04, 2012 10:10 am
I get what you mean. I totally missed the Unplugged CD when it came out because it wasn't nowhere on the website...

But yeah, back to the thread !
#300868 by No OnE
Fri May 04, 2012 11:46 pm
I remember back when Dev was talking about "Obviouser" and describing it as this big doomy post-apocalyptic 6-string bass kinda thing (at about 51:30), does anybody know if this Casualties of Cool is that same project with a different name, or is it something different?
#301311 by gurp13
Thu May 10, 2012 7:40 pm
I sympathize with the social media problems. But, I have a "workaround" solution. I use an app called Flipbook and "subscribe" to Devin's twitter feed. I can open the app and look at Dev's tweets, even tweets from days ago. It's pretty handy. I have been keeping up with all the latest from Dev that way. There are several apps that do that sort of thing (Pulse is another).
#301407 by ferocitas
Fri May 11, 2012 4:28 pm
What the heck am I missing here?? the first post of this thread talks about the tweet, which I saw and thought was a production job for some obscure Casualties of Cool. Not so, fair enough. But how the hell can the very second post say "this is by far the release I'm looking forward to the most. Minimal is winimal."?
Seems like someone timejump-deleted a couple posts from future describing this future album. I know I haven't kept up with all the box-set bonus songs, but this is beginning to be ridiculous.

Please, the topic you actually write in, needs some content on the topic you are supposedly writing in. Thanks, bye.
#301410 by Eyesore
Fri May 11, 2012 4:40 pm
ferocitas wrote:What the heck am I missing here?? the first post of this thread talks about the tweet, which I saw and thought was a production job for some obscure Casualties of Cool. Not so, fair enough. But how the hell can the very second post say "this is by far the release I'm looking forward to the most. Minimal is winimal."?
Seems like someone timejump-deleted a couple posts from future describing this future album. I know I haven't kept up with all the box-set bonus songs, but this is beginning to be ridiculous.

Please, the topic you actually write in, needs some content on the topic you are supposedly writing in. Thanks, bye.

You do realize two different people made those posts, right? I'm not sure I understand the complaint here.
#301412 by gurp13
Fri May 11, 2012 5:05 pm
Eyesore wrote:
ferocitas wrote:What the heck am I missing here?? the first post of this thread talks about the tweet, which I saw and thought was a production job for some obscure Casualties of Cool. Not so, fair enough. But how the hell can the very second post say "this is by far the release I'm looking forward to the most. Minimal is winimal."?

You do realize two different people made those posts, right? I'm not sure I understand the complaint here.

Apparently, we need to be more informative on our posts for ferocitas because it is our job to inform him and we are remiss in not including all the details. Now he's confused and it's our fault. ;)

Casualties of Cool is an album that Devin is making to be released at a later date yet to be determined and the album sounds like it will be of the mellowed variety similar to Ghost or maybe Ki. Hope that helps! :)
#301418 by Octillus
Fri May 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Settle down Beavis.

It's supposedly going to be a minimal album with Che Dorval singing most of the vocals. If it's what I think it's going to be, a la the mellower moments of Ki, I would very much like to hear from it.

We already went over in this thread about how it's kind of a pain to keep track of Devin releases, since there's no static portal for everything, but this was something that was brought up in a couple of interviews. It's obviously in an early stage of development.

But seriously, next time you have a question, ask it without the attitude.

Thanks. Bye.
#301433 by Lettuce
Fri May 11, 2012 7:00 pm
Well, Dev wants to make a Ziltoid film but seeing as he's let slip fuck all about that...does this mean I cannot get excited about it either?
#301442 by gurp13
Fri May 11, 2012 8:14 pm
Lettuce wrote:Well, Dev wants to make a Ziltoid film but seeing as he's let slip fuck all about that...does this mean I cannot get excited about it either?

This is a great question. Thank you for asking it! I have consulted the Oracle and have decided to allow you to not only be excited about it, but also exhibit said excitement freely throughout the multiverse, in all dimensions, in perpetuity. Also, others may share in said excitement without limit while supplies last.

:patrol:
#301597 by catharsis
Mon May 14, 2012 12:03 pm
not to defend ferocitas, but when just reading the 1st 2 posts (without any prior knowledge) i guess it could seem odd. how can you get that excited over something you know nothing about? i assume he did not read dev's update that actually describes the new albums a bit which obviously sparked octillus' interest. looks like he jumped the gun when jumping down everybody's throats.

ferocitas, the intent of this thread is to pool together bits of info that comes along; as is the one for epicloud. it's hard not to get excited about anything devy related since virtually everything he releases exceeds expectations.
#301599 by Eyesore
Mon May 14, 2012 12:43 pm
"Dev's working on music."

That's enough to excite me. :lol:
#301623 by Bookwyrm83
Mon May 14, 2012 10:56 pm
Eyesore wrote:"Dev's working on music."

That's enough to excite me. :lol:

And I agree with you. :mrgreen: