This is my request, wish me the best
#311045 by LicoriceLain
Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:18 am
sylkicks wrote:Well, it's hard to market a "brand" so to speak if the name keeps changing-- keeps it from being consistent. I think the logo and pressures from management that I think are well placed will keep the DTP name in place. That, and the title "project" gives a lot of room to do whatever he wants with it, like he has. It isn't pigeon holed to a certain type of music or anything.

That would be an interesting change of pace. The reason I said that was because in several interviews (I know, Devy talking about stuff), he made it sound like DTP was only for the 4 albums and the only reason why Epicloud was included was because the label wanted an album that summed up the most marketable aspects of the four preceding albums.
#311053 by Carpathian Psychonaut
Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:53 am
In the "Dev interviews Dev" thing for Metal Injection he does indeed make it sound pretty clear that the four albums & Epicloud saw the end of the Devin Townsend Project.

I must admit that I was half expecting CoC (no, not Corrosion Of Conformity) to come out under a new name or just Devin's with the 'Project' dropped?
#311056 by Octillus
Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:23 am
Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:In the "Dev interviews Dev" thing for Metal Injection he does indeed make it sound pretty clear that the four albums & Epicloud saw the end of the Devin Townsend Project.

I must admit that I was half expecting CoC (no, not Corrosion Of Conformity) to come out under a new name or just Devin's with the 'Project' dropped?

"The project" itself, sure. But he's said multiple times he's keeping the name
#311097 by LicoriceLain
Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:37 pm
Octillus wrote:
Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:In the "Dev interviews Dev" thing for Metal Injection he does indeed make it sound pretty clear that the four albums & Epicloud saw the end of the Devin Townsend Project.

"The project" itself, sure. But he's said multiple times he's keeping the name

I never saw that he said that, but I haven't seen/heard a few of his interviews in the last couple months. It will be interesting to see him not bounce between project names for the first time in his career. XD
#311107 by LeperMessiah1170
Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:20 pm
I'm pretty sure he said CoC was gonna be separate from the DTP. He was even working on a new logo for the album, but it ended up looking like A Perfect Circle.
#311109 by sylkicks
Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:58 pm
I have no doubt it will be conceptually different from the DTP, but I would put money on the name staying. I work in marketing and the number one thing you want to sell a product is consistency of message surrounding that product. With a bunch of different names you can't have that and with Dev wanting to expand to do more things like RC I'm positive it'll stay DTP.
#311243 by Meh
Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:49 am
sylkicks wrote:I have no doubt it will be conceptually different from the DTP, but I would put money on the name staying. I work in marketing and the number one thing you want to sell a product is consistency of message surrounding that product. With a bunch of different names you can't have that and with Dev wanting to expand to do more things like RC I'm positive it'll stay DTP.

I don't think it'll stay DTP forever but I 100% agree with the rest, it's very problematic. Record stores may place 'Devin Townsend Project' under 'D' and 'Devin Townsend' under 'T', then there's the issue of which music section as a number of his album covers don't look metal.
#311272 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:20 am
Meh wrote:
sylkicks wrote:I have no doubt it will be conceptually different from the DTP, but I would put money on the name staying. I work in marketing and the number one thing you want to sell a product is consistency of message surrounding that product. With a bunch of different names you can't have that and with Dev wanting to expand to do more things like RC I'm positive it'll stay DTP.

I don't think it'll stay DTP forever but I 100% agree with the rest, it's very problematic. Record stores may place 'Devin Townsend Project' under 'D' and 'Devin Townsend' under 'T', then there's the issue of which music section as a number of his album covers don't look metal.

He did have a tag on the back of some of his previous albums that said File Under Metal, maybe he could bring that back for Casualties.
DTP might work for Casualties, though I doubt it will apply to Z2.
#311298 by pandemic
Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:01 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:
Meh wrote:

He did have a tag on the back of some of his previous albums that said File Under Metal, maybe he could bring that back for Casualties.

i remember him saying in a interview that "DTP" evolved into 6 albums
#311299 by pandemic
Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:01 am
Bookwyrm83 wrote:
Meh wrote:

i remember him saying in a interview that "DTP" evolved into 6 albums
#311358 by catharsis
Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:52 am
would be nice to just leave it as DTP after having Devin Townsend, Devin Townsend Band, Devin Townsend Presents, etc. especially if he sticks with the same live band, that's probably the main thing rather than how it'll be catalogued. casualties may be under something else but i can def see at least Z2 sticking w/ DTP.
#311412 by LicoriceLain
Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:39 am
No, based on his recent interview with Metalhammer, it sounds like Z2 will most def only be him.
#311538 by ppinkham
Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:21 am
The DTP logo is great. It is one of those simple but effective logos that artists always hope to find, because it makes marketability much easier. The DTP name and logo will be around for a while, but probably only on albums and tours the label wants to push.
#311606 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:57 am
^It's still possible Casualties will have DTP. Besides, the logo is still awesome and a celebration of established music. I intend to get it at some point, even if Dev stops using it in future.