Whoa, this is so heavy! And unbelievably cheesy!
#313163 by NamasteLikeBender
Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 pm
LicoriceLain wrote:I hope this album has something akin to "Possessions" part 2.

Fuck Possessions, give me some Zen and Two Weeks.
#313169 by LicoriceLain
Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 pm
NamasteLikeBender wrote:
LicoriceLain wrote:I hope this album has something akin to "Possessions" part 2.

Fuck "Possessions"?! Fuck one of the best songs in the SYL catalogue? Boy, you trippin.

As for "Zen", no. Not if he is not into singing now. Such a song demands opera.
#313278 by NamasteLikeBender
Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:02 pm
LicoriceLain wrote:
NamasteLikeBender wrote:

Fuck "Possessions"?! Fuck one of the best songs in the SYL catalogue? Boy, you trippin.

As for "Zen", no. Not if he is not into singing now. Such a song demands opera.

Possessions is among my least favorite songs on Alien. Granted, that's like saying that I have a least favorite type of chocolate in one of those gourmet truffle boxes (I fucking love Alien), but aside from Info Dump, Possessions is quite possibly my least favorite there.

Opinions. :D
#313279 by Octillus
Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:19 pm
Probably #2 for me behind Skeksis. Maybe #3 if it's behind shitstorm. I change my mind on that a ton. We Ride's funny, but I almost feel like it doesn't fit, and songs like Shine and Thalamus are better connecting pieces than solo songs.
#313286 by Bookwyrm83
Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:22 pm
I hope the intro song for Z2 (if there is one) is operatically grandiose. Just saying.
#313289 by LicoriceLain
Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:16 pm
I hope the cover of "What's New Pussycat?" that was geared for Alien makes an appearance on Z2. ;)
#313389 by tiberiummetalhead
Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:18 am
I think z2 will be heavier than both silt and decon but I don't think it's going to be anywhere near alien territory...... If an Syl sounding prediction is a must I would pitch it as somewhere betwixt tnb and city. Though in reality it of course will sound like neither........,,,, anyone know who's taking up the drumthrone? Rvp of course would be loved but it would be nice to hear dirk beating some skins with dev again (and, although it's never going to happen for the most obvious reasons, gene)

Maybe jed will help with guitars? It seems dev was extremely happy to play with him again and I think we can deal with jed being aboard without any Syl illusions or delusions?
#313395 by Teej
Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:01 am
tiberiummetalhead wrote:I think z2 will be heavier than both silt and decon but I don't think it's going to be anywhere near alien territory...... If an Syl sounding prediction is a must I would pitch it as somewhere betwixt tnb and city. Though in reality it of course will sound like neither........,,,, anyone know who's taking up the drumthrone? Rvp of course would be loved but it would be nice to hear dirk beating some skins with dev again (and, although it's never going to happen for the most obvious reasons, gene)

Maybe jed will help with guitars? It seems dev was extremely happy to play with him again and I think we can deal with jed being aboard without any Syl illusions or delusions?

I will be curious about who will drum on it as well. I would imagine we may see a multi-performer effort again like on Decon. I would be shocked to see RVP left out, but appearances by Dirk wouldn't be surprising, either. No way we'll see any Gene. I also do not think Jed will be involved. Although you or I could handle Jed on it without getting hyped up about a fictitious SYL reunion, there are about a million other people who could not. Dev already knew he was taking a huge risk inviting him to play at Retinal. I also think that Z2 will not really resemble SYL at all. When Dev said on Twitter that it was "possibly the heaviest thing [he's] written" he was more than likely referring to a different kind of heavy altogether. Needless to say though, I am aboard the hype-train for this album and anxiously wait more details. \m/
#313416 by Bookwyrm83
Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:56 pm
Well said.

I'm just going to wait and be surprised - no point in losing hair through speculation.
#313417 by No OnE
Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:01 pm
Teej wrote:
tiberiummetalhead wrote:I think z2 will be heavier than both silt and decon but I don't think it's going to be anywhere near alien territory...... If an Syl sounding prediction is a must I would pitch it as somewhere betwixt tnb and city. Though in reality it of course will sound like neither........,,,, anyone know who's taking up the drumthrone? Rvp of course would be loved but it would be nice to hear dirk beating some skins with dev again (and, although it's never going to happen for the most obvious reasons, gene)

I will be curious about who will drum on it as well. I would imagine we may see a multi-performer effort again like on Decon. I would be shocked to see RVP left out, but appearances by Dirk wouldn't be surprising, either. No way we'll see any Gene. I also do not think Jed will be involved. Although you or I could handle Jed on it without getting hyped up about a fictitious SYL reunion, there are about a million other people who could not. Dev already knew he was taking a huge risk inviting him to play at Retinal. I also think that Z2 will not really resemble SYL at all. When Dev said on Twitter that it was "possibly the heaviest thing [he's] written" he was more than likely referring to a different kind of heavy altogether. Needless to say though, I am aboard the hype-train for this album and anxiously wait more details. \m/

Something about your post made me think it would be awesome if a little interlude track on z2 would have Ziltoid reading the morning paper, reading a headline about some commercial techno pop band called SYL having their 4th reunion tour :lol:
#313433 by LicoriceLain
Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:51 am
Teej wrote:

I must have missed something. I don't recall Dev making mention of any special bad blood with Gene. Hell, Dev contributed to Pitch Black Forecast's recent EP....of which Gene is the drummer.
#313434 by tiberiummetalhead
Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:13 am
Where is there reference to bad blood??? Gene was THE biggest contributory member to the music dev made for Syl... Most Syl albums would not sound the same without genes input. Particularly alien. If gene and dev were to play together on something dev related there would be alot of Syl chatter.

Excuse my poor elucidation, I'm knackered
#313436 by Lettuce
Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:30 am
LicoriceLain wrote:I hope the cover of "What's New Pussycat?" that was geared for Alien makes an appearance on Z2. ;)

Naw babe, it was never really recorded.
#313443 by Bookwyrm83
Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:25 pm
tiberiummetalhead wrote:Where is there reference to bad blood??? Gene was THE biggest contributory member to the music dev made for Syl... Most Syl albums would not sound the same without genes input. Particularly alien. If gene and dev were to play together on something dev related there would be alot of Syl chatter.

Excuse my poor elucidation, I'm knackered

It still came through well enough, plus you hit the nail on the head.

It would be nice if Gene and Dev were to play together again, though it's highly doubtful. Plus Dev is more likely to hire Dirk.