Whoa, this is so heavy! And unbelievably cheesy!
#322981 by tcantafio
Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:55 pm
Chris87 wrote:
KeasbyNights wrote:Nice to see all the artwork and such, and I'm glad the choir credits are in the booklet.

Not in the limited CD edition though. At least I can't find it in the one I bought in Germany.

CD wise, it's only in the Japanese booklet. Otherwise you can find it in the Sky Blue LP.

-T
#322988 by Erik
Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:37 am
Are there any shops left who might have a copy of the limited vinyl set?? I was too late unfortunately....
#322993 by tcantafio
Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:18 am
Music wise there's a lot out there. It appears that the special vinyls are out of stock, but here's what I know of thus far:

Blue vinyl
Black vinyl
Clear vinyl
Euro/UK 3CD digipak
Euro/UK regular 2CD edition
US 3 CD digipak
US regular 2CD edition
Japanese 2CD/1DVD (LoudPark 13) limited edition
Japanese regular 2CD edition

Things to know. The Japanese limited and regular editions both come in old style fatboxes. Their booklets have the front cover that you see on the digipaks, so they have, technically, four more pages. Thus, the Japanese booklet has the thanks page for the Universal Choir.

It's not the FULL listing, but it does have its own page. The choir sheet is also in the Euro/UK/US regular edition books - because of the extra page count. In the inside front cover of the Japanese/Euro/UK/US booklets is also a dedication quote from Devin.

All the vinyls are the same in that they are all pressed and put together in Germany. The only difference is the color of vinyl. The LPs have the FULL choir sheet with every name that participated in the choir. The sheet is in the back pocket of Sky Blue. All the vinyls are 4 LPs and have printed inner bags that cover lyrics, credits, etc. The LPs are the only versions that have a stand-alone Dark Matters and stand-alone Sky Blue. Both LPs come together though in a solid color silver foil box with the embossed Z2 logo.

Now we get into the 3CD digipaks.

Both the Euro/UK and US versions are printed on silver foil stock and are digipak format in a slipbox. The slipbox is embossed with the Z2 logo. Now I have both versions and find the Euro/UK version better in quality. Why? The box is heavier and wider, as is the digipak itself. The stock just seems to be a heavier. Plus the entire digipak inside and out is in foil stock. The US version does not have foil stock on the inside. And in my opinion uses a thinner stock of paper. The Euro/UK also has the image straight through the digipak, from front to back. The inside of the US version has black between the sections of the digipak where it folds. Also, the US digipak has a slight purple tinge to the slipbox. I don't know if this is intentional or not because the US version is printed in the US and the Euro/UK in Germany. It could just be a printing thing. The US digipak is also slimmer. And in my case, it also seems that the slot where the booklet goes, in the US version, isn't made as well as the Euro/UK version, as it took me several buys and returns, until I got two copies where the slot was intact and not ripped on one side or the other. I had no such issues with the Euro/UK version. I forgot to mention that the booklets that are in the digipaks are cool as well. In both the Euro/UK version and in the US version, the booklet has the album covers as the front and back. So, if you're looking at Sky Blue, flip it over and you've got Dark Matters! However, they do lack the full "thank you" page for the Universal Choir participants, and the single page with Devin's dedication quote.

The Dark Matters discs themselves are also slightly different in color between all versions. The Ziltoid text on the CDs themselves is not as sliver and shiny on the US version as the Euro/UK version. The Euro/UK CDs are also darker. The Japanese Dark Matters disc is much lighter in color that either of the other versions. Other than that there is not much of a difference. I don't really see any difference in the Sky Blue discs.

I only have the US regular edition, so the discs pretty much follow the same pattern as stated above.

If you're into Ziltoid "stuff" there are (were) pre-order bundles that included a Frisbee, Dark Matters t-shirt, Z2 metal (of course metal) keychain, which has Z2 engraved on the back with the release date (pretty cool).

Overall, there is a lot to choose from. The packaging of the LPs and digipaks is some of the best I've seen. This ranks right up there with the last Hell album. That digipak is really fat, but it opens into a full Ouija board! :shock:

If I've missed anything feel free to add. But most of all enjoy what Devin has so awesomely presented us with. It's products like these that justify my reasons to buy tangible music.

Peace.

-T
#323007 by Kong89
Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:04 am
When I first heard the leak I thought that March of the Poozers sounded a lot like a Samael track. Finally got my hands on my physical copy today and it actually says in the liner notes "March of the Poozers was influenced by the Samael song On Earth". Listening to them both now you really can hear it in the main riff. So awesome.
#323011 by aleksi
Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:04 am
It's very disappointing to come to terms with this being a fan of Devin for over a decade but I think Z2 is his first straight up bad album. Sky Blue has some nice tracks but Dark Matters doesn't work for me at all. The whole album looks the same and even after 6-7 listens nothing is particularly memorable.
#323012 by stubear280
Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:33 am
Sky Blue is amazing. In trying to to deal with depression for over a year this album is the first album that is actually helping me work through it, The lyrics hit very hard for me. Dark Matters is fun and all, but for the most part Sky Blue is where it's at.
#323014 by ppinkham
Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:56 am
'Sky Blue' really is a lot deeper than I think most are giving it credit for. On the surface it is extremely poppy, and I think that is throwing a lot of people off. It is so much deeper. No, it may not be his best, but much better than some may initially think. I hope people will give it a chance to grow, because it really isn't 'Epicloud 2.'

I knew when I first heard Z² that most fans of the first would not like it. You definitely can not jump from 'ZTO' to 'Dark Matters.' It isn't a sequel so much as a reboot. Like going from original Star Trek to J.J. Abrams Star Trek. Shit, ZTV even has the Abrams lens flares going on. 'Dark Matters' is a bright, shiny blockbuster-type of album, where 'ZTO' is more of an indie film. It's a completely different concept where only the names are the same, and the entire product has been given an overhaul.

Expectations kill most new experiences for people. They can be tough to get past for some.
#323015 by stubear280
Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:58 am
Sky Blue is old Dev meeting new Dev.
#323020 by KeasbyNights
Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:44 pm
ppinkham wrote:'Sky Blue' really is a lot deeper than I think most are giving it credit for. On the surface it is extremely poppy, and I think that is throwing a lot of people off. It is so much deeper. No, it may not be his best, but much better than some may initially think. I hope people will give it a chance to grow, because it really isn't 'Epicloud 2.'

I knew when I first heard Z² that most fans of the first would not like it. You definitely can not jump from 'ZTO' to 'Dark Matters.' It isn't a sequel so much as a reboot. Like going from original Star Trek to J.J. Abrams Star Trek. Shit, ZTV even has the Abrams lens flares going on. 'Dark Matters' is a bright, shiny blockbuster-type of album, where 'ZTO' is more of an indie film. It's a completely different concept where only the names are the same, and the entire product has been given an overhaul.

Expectations kill most new experiences for people. They can be tough to get past for some.

This is the best description of both albums. I agree 100%
#323022 by pandemic
Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:02 pm
sky blue has grown on me. but its no where close to as complex or intense as Dark Matters. i love the ppl bitching that if you dont like Sky Blue its cause "Your ears cant hear layers"...apparently. meanwhile they dont like Dark Matters. this is why i usually dont talk to Devy fans.
#323023 by KeasbyNights
Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:33 pm
From Twitter, regarding Sky Blue, 19 hrs ago:

"I think we're going to release it on its own in February with some new bonus tracks. It's a long story that started as an arm wrestle, I'll explain when it's time."
#323024 by Kong89
Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:04 pm
I'd buy a second copy if it had some bonus tracks of the same quality. I think it works brilliantly as a standalone title, it really combines so many aspects of his career into a cohesive sound. He's said in a few interviews lately that he sort of had to force himself to write Sky Blue to keep the record company happy whilst he did Dark Matters, but that ultimately he ended up feeling very proud of it. I'm glad he feels that way because it's easily one of my favourite things he's done in years up there with Ki and Ghost.

Also it's got some surprisingly very beautiful lyrics. It makes for more touching tracks than the general happy bombastic Epicloud sound.
#323025 by the_s_rabbit
Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:32 pm
Sky Blue is brilliant. Dark Matters will be "the grower" for me. I'm very happy that I bought the deluxe version with the RAW disc. I find myself distracted by the dialogue. I can't just crank it up and immerse myself in it. I will have to be in the right mood to focus on it as one whole body of work, and then I can truly enjoy it. But Sky Blue...man...wow. I haven't heard anything as beautiful as "Midnight Sun" since Terria. I love it. A wonderful continuation of Epicloud, and the mix is definitely improved. Superb.
#323031 by hunter_mc
Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:14 pm
the_s_rabbit wrote:Sky Blue is brilliant. Dark Matters will be "the grower" for me. I'm very happy that I bought the deluxe version with the RAW disc. I find myself distracted by the dialogue. I can't just crank it up and immerse myself in it. I will have to be in the right mood to focus on it as one whole body of work, and then I can truly enjoy it. But Sky Blue...man...wow. I haven't heard anything as beautiful as "Midnight Sun" since Terria. I love it. A wonderful continuation of Epicloud, and the mix is definitely improved. Superb.

For me, it's the exact opposite reaction. Dark Matters is an instant masterpiece, while its taken a little longer for Sky Blue to grow on me. And Dark Matters Raw just doesn't seem right without the dialogue. But I think it's interesting seeing all of the vastly varying opinions on the two albums here on this board, and it's cool how the music affects different people in different ways.

KeasbyNights wrote:From Twitter, regarding Sky Blue, 19 hrs ago:

"I think we're going to release it on its own in February with some new bonus tracks. It's a long story that started as an arm wrestle, I'll explain when it's time."

I'd love it it we got another two disc deluxe set, with Sky Blue and Sky Bluer.