Whoa, this is so heavy! And unbelievably cheesy!

What is your favourite song on Sky Blue?

2%
2%
8%
8%
5%
5%
6%
6%
6%
6%
2%
2%
6%
6%
4%
4%
5%
5%
2%
2%
3%
3%
N/A
N/A
#323004 by Chris87
Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:57 am
Too early for me yet to vote I have to say. Currently my favorites are:

1. Warrior
Caught me immediately and I still totally enjoy it. The verse and intro are just plain awesome, can't keep my head still and have to sing along all the time.
2. Midnight Sun
Probably one of the most emotional songs I've ever heard from Devin. That one's growing on me more and more, especially after seeing the lyrics.
3. Before We Die
Although the chorus is a bit too pop-esque for my taste, it's again the verse that totally caught me. The duet with a "demanding" Devin and Anneke seemingly being in denial is phenomenal.

I'm expecting my favorites to change though. Pretty sure Midnight Sun will remain there, but the other ones could get old after a while, while Rain City, for example, might get to me over time.
#323013 by KeasbyNights
Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:45 am
Universal Flame, Sky Blue, and Forever.

Forever is really something, I didn't notice at first listen, but upon hearing it again today, I reminds me of Enya. Anyone else getting that?
#323018 by MikzorTheFirst
Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:21 pm
I can't resist Rejoice's groove. Simple as that.

Universal Flame is just ridiculously catchy. I swear to god if that song doesn't get radio play I...

Silent Militia is another completely succesful booty shaker.

Then there's Rain City. Words are useless here.
#323021 by Maglor the Bard
Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:58 pm
reaaaaaaaaaaally hard to pick 3, so im gonna pick 4, sorry
altho i didnt vote for it, rejoice is just too good, like the guy before me said, that groove is irresistable.
fallout, probably the biggest favorite of everybody, just epic epic vocals from both devin and annie
a new reign: how come only 4 votes? annies best performance in that album for me
my personal favorite: sky blue, just cant get enough of it
#323027 by NamasteLikeBender
Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:44 pm
#1: Rain City, one of the best tracks in DTP history.
#2: Silent Militia, a song I should hate in theory but can't stop listening to.
#3: Had to debate between A New Reign and Fallout, but chose the former because of that crushing middle section.

This one was a lot harder to make up because songs like Warrior, Before We Die, Universal Flame, Midnight Sun...just about every track that has something that makes me take notice, which was absent for me on COC and most of Epicloud.
#323032 by Octillus
Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:36 pm
since Kingdom was written 14 years ago, I'd say that A New Reign's the best track Devin's done since Deconstruction
#323044 by Thominator
Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:12 pm
At the moment it's too hard for me to say.. Overall an amazing album. I do know that Midnight Sun and A New Reign don't do much for me, perhaps they'll grow on me, I dunno.
#323047 by Saline
Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:30 pm
Well, I keep switching. This happens a lot with Dev's albums.

When I first heard it, I was in love with Midnight Sun. I still love it, very emotional.

Next was Rain City. I only like the first half though--Dev has a tendency sometimes to "end" the song at the halfway mark and make the second half a long period of meandering related to the song.

Currently becoming obsessed with A New Reign. Starting at the 1:58 mark...I LOVE the mysterious-sounding crunching guitars.
#323058 by Faffy
Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:43 am
Fallout ....the one with just Dev singing.
Midnight Sun... Love the AE vibe!
Third? Uh... Kind of torn between the poppy Rejoice and Universal Flame and the awesome Rain City and A New Reign.
#323095 by Jaglavak
Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:04 am
Faffy wrote:Fallout ....the one with just Dev singing.
Midnight Sun... Love the AE vibe!
Third? Uh... Kind of torn between the poppy Rejoice and Universal Flame and the awesome Rain City and A New Reign.

Funny you mention Accelerated Evolution because - for me - all I could think was Terria when I first heard it. Either way, I can't remember him using those kinds of guitar tones for a looooooooooooooong time. Not my favorite track but I love what a throwback it is to "the good old days"...

Haven't listened to Sky Blue as much as Dark Matters, admittedly, but I've got it on right now and A New Reign kicks all kinds of butt. Probably my favorite track at the moment. People keep talking about how melancholic the whole disc is and I have to agree, it's tugging at my heartstrings in a way that Epicloud completely failed to - so in that respect it's a success! Fits very well with all the cold, sunny days we've been getting here ever since fall started.
#323096 by fragility
Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:16 am
Midnight Sun and Rain City are best for me. Both are beautiful.

Then it's probably A New Reign

I'm not really digging the more upbeat songs...which is strange because I am a 100% whole album listener and will generally form an opinion about an album as a whole, rather than individual songs
#323106 by Lanzer
Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:01 pm
I think it might be Rain City, Sky Blue and Before We Die?

Universal Flame, Fallout, Silent Militia, Rejoice and Forever are all so awesome I want to mention them too.
#323114 by Bookwyrm83
Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:17 am
Chose Midnight Sun, Warrior and Before We Die for instant connection and resonance. Still, I also really loved A New Reign, Forever and Rain City. Fantastic tracks all.