I'm gonna melt you guys!

#77911 by Noodles
Mon May 16, 2005 3:19 pm
FUBAR wrote:I got Devinlab recently and I love it, I've been looking for this kind of music for a while. Anyone know any similar albums or artists?
i doubt you'll find anyhting remotely similar to devlab ever ^^

#77915 by Archetype
Mon May 16, 2005 3:50 pm
Fantomas' records.
Director's Cut, Delirium Corda & Suspended Animation

If you like Devlab, you'll like those.

#77928 by CardDinour
Mon May 16, 2005 9:09 pm
Noodles wrote:
FUBAR wrote:I got Devinlab recently and I love it, I've been looking for this kind of music for a while. Anyone know any similar albums or artists?
i doubt you'll find anyhting remotely similar to devlab ever ^^

if you ignore the first bunch of tracks and concentrate mainly from tracks8-13 or so - that ambient style music you can find many other places.

my mate knows plenty of artists like that, so i shall ask him in a moment, but early Porcupine Tree such as Voyage 34 or The Sky Moves Sideways has lots of floaty type stuff.

pete namlook or biosphere my mate says are floaty music-ish :) i cant gurantee its what you are after though :)
Last edited by CardDinour on Mon May 16, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#77929 by gurp13
Mon May 16, 2005 9:12 pm
Blazingmonga wrote:
psychotic wrote:I've got another story to tell about it though. I suffer through sleep paralysis some nights, which is basically any nightmares coming true to put it simply. You're laying asleep and basically you're actually half asleep, but you're right there in your room and you feel like someone's standing right next to you, or in another case I've had recently, someone was actually whispering things into my ear in a language I couldn't understand, but I knew exactly what they were saying, but anyway, I have this, and the other night I decided to listen to Devlab as music to sleep to. Bad idea for anyone who also has sleep paralysis. I was laying face down, and I was half awake and all of a sudden I felt this wind going by my head, and it was my head only, that whole part of my body got really cold and I could really feel it on my eardrums as the sound of the wind went right by my head, and I haven't mentioned it yet, but you could figure by the name, I couldn't do anything about it, because I couldn't move. I was totally bound to that position and just had to lay there as it all happened, trying to curse the demon that was doing this to me, until I realized that it was probably Devin... :twisted: . Anyway, it was a pretty scary experience, but one I'd love to live over and over again.

I have suffered from sleep paralysis on many occasions, sometimes mildly and sometimes quite severe. I totally understand the feeling of wanting to experience it again, though it was so utterly terrifying that its a strange way to react to it. Bloody mind boggling...ha. The feeling of absolute terror that you can experience with this situation is truly unbelieveable, it really makes you think twice about reality. The human brain is pretty bizarre like that.

Actually, some people believe those experiences could be paranormal experiences. I especially wonder about the cold on the body part. That definitely is in line with the manifestation of an entity. Sometimes sleep paralysis is also known as the "Old Hag" syndrome. Other people think that sleep paralysis is a precursor to astral projection (Out of Body Experience). I'm not saying that's what's happening. But, I like to keep an open mind. It's more fun that way.

#77942 by FUBAR
Tue May 17, 2005 6:58 am
Thanks for the reccomendations - I'll be sure to check em out, floaty ambient music rules!

#77944 by Blazingmonga
Tue May 17, 2005 8:57 am
gurp13 wrote:Actually, some people believe those experiences could be paranormal experiences. I especially wonder about the cold on the body part. That definitely is in line with the manifestation of an entity. Sometimes sleep paralysis is also known as the "Old Hag" syndrome. Other people think that sleep paralysis is a precursor to astral projection (Out of Body Experience). I'm not saying that's what's happening. But, I like to keep an open mind. It's more fun that way.

I can understand these comparisons...it really is a profound experience. You could interpret the reasons for this in many ways, but it is definately a life changing sensation.

#77961 by danceswithchickens
Tue May 17, 2005 5:55 pm
The closest thing to Devlab I have ever heard is "Suspended Animation" by Fantomas. Same idea, but more natural and less electronic. Really dark, disturbing stuff.

Some of the early stuff by Secret Chiefs 3 is somewhat comparable as well. Check out "First Grand Constitution and Bylaws".

#78114 by CardDinour
Sun May 22, 2005 4:23 am
im totally surprised by this album. its one of the most played devy albums i have. i did not expect that at all. i really thought id play it, think "meh" its ok and put it away, but i find myself coming back to it and listening to it constantly, its just brillant. i enjoy it soo much.

anyone else here listen to it alot ? or are you in certain types of moods for it to be on? i just chuck it on literally anytime!

:):)

#78120 by danceswithchickens
Sun May 22, 2005 6:41 am
CardDinour wrote:im totally surprised by this album. its one of the most played devy albums i have. i did not expect that at all. i really thought id play it, think "meh" its ok and put it away, but i find myself coming back to it and listening to it constantly, its just brillant. i enjoy it soo much.

anyone else here listen to it alot ? or are you in certain types of moods for it to be on? i just chuck it on literally anytime!

:):)

Actually, I've been listening to it on headphones the last couple of nights. There really is a lot going on on this record. I love how certain tracks sort of drone on for five or six minutes, until you are basically lulled into a trance, and then all of a sudden a huge bass note hits you like a bucket of cold water and jolts you awake. Very cool.

I like how this album takes on different tones. It can sound dark and disturbed, it can sound peaceful and soothing, it can sound chaotic and violent...

#78128 by Noodles
Sun May 22, 2005 10:08 am
i find info dump and devlab the two hardest musical things to fall asleep too... it's just so hard to know whats coming that i'm always like "ok when are the loud noises going to come..." and can never get super relaxed ^^

#78137 by OHMATERIALME
Sun May 22, 2005 1:36 pm
hello minions....how are we today/night....?

i got devlab awhile ago and ive listened to it 10 or 12 times so far.
i find it to be very eerie (spelling?) and disturbing......i think listening to it is taking a sunday stroll through devy's head and sometimes i think ill never be able to return.......freaks me out in some good ways but mostly bad.

and yes, of course i can't stay away from it......
i hate it and love at the same time.........

thanks
chuck

#78299 by Noodles
Tue May 24, 2005 3:22 pm
the beeps and gasps at the start of song 15 almost gave me a heart attack last night :(

#78731 by CardDinour
Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:10 pm
Noodles wrote:the beeps and gasps at the start of song 15 almost gave me a heart attack last night :(

the first time i heard it i was lieing on my bed late at night and i thought it was my alarm clock. then i realised i dont have an alarm clock!!

bloody freaky stuff i tell ya!