I'm gonna melt you guys!

#78738 by CardDinour
Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:07 am
i noticed Devlab is no longer in the buying section of HDR website, does that mean all the copies are out of print ? it would be good if there was more printed for all the lovely people who didnt get one :)

#78743 by Blazingmonga
Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:50 am
CardDinour wrote:i noticed Devlab is no longer in the buying section of HDR website, does that mean all the copies are out of print ? it would be good if there was more printed for all the lovely people who didnt get one :)

I just checked this, and it still seems to be there!

I know that there was only a small batch printed of this disc, so it will run out at some point and I am not sure if more will be printed. I hope so, everyone should hear this disc! If only for a giggle!

#78751 by CardDinour
Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:36 am
yea its there, seems to have taken a short hiatus and returned :)

#78813 by Hellhammer
Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:45 pm
Man, I'm still trying to get everything I can thats on there. And I'm sure glad I got my devlab a good deal ahead of time before I have to fear it selling out. Now I just need those Ass-Sordid demos.

#79638 by ASHORIZZOR
Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:55 am
Hellhammer wrote:Man, I'm still trying to get everything I can thats on there. And I'm sure glad I got my devlab a good deal ahead of time before I have to fear it selling out. Now I just need those Ass-Sordid demos.

I got mine's a few month ago. Trust me they're worth it. The first week was a
"ASS SORDID" week, which means I repeated the songs over and over again.

#79671 by bad devil
Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:29 pm
i still need the ass sordid cds too...thinking im up to speed with all the other releases

#79673 by gurp13
Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:10 pm
I got the Ass-Sordid Demos I a few weeks ago. I enjoy it. There's good tunes on there. Some of them are kinda stupid, but then, Dev admits that and they're older. But, they're fun, too.

#79714 by Hellhammer
Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:36 pm
Thats what I would want to hear, I just want to hear absolutely everything he's done. Even if some are just some silly throw away tracks or anything like that.

#85590 by doomsoldier
Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:18 am
I'm considering getting Devlab, but I still don't completely understand what style it is. Is it atmospheric rock ala Porcupine Tree's "The Sky Moves Sideways? Or just a bunch of synths? Or some sound effects thrown together, similar to Info Dump?

Basically, I'm saying, does it have some sort of tangible body to it (some acoustic guitar riffs or something), or is the entire thing just keyboard noodling? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that sort of thing in some cases, but I don't know how much I would enjoy an album of just that.

#85605 by Blazingmonga
Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:59 am
doomsoldier wrote:I'm considering getting Devlab, but I still don't completely understand what style it is. Is it atmospheric rock ala Porcupine Tree's "The Sky Moves Sideways? Or just a bunch of synths? Or some sound effects thrown together, similar to Info Dump?

Basically, I'm saying, does it have some sort of tangible body to it (some acoustic guitar riffs or something), or is the entire thing just keyboard noodling? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that sort of thing in some cases, but I don't know how much I would enjoy an album of just that.

Hehe, by the questions you are asking, I would suspect that you may not be too keen on Devlab. Allow me to answer them one by one for maximum clarity! (TM)

Is it atmospheric rock ala Porcupine Tree's "The Sky Moves Sideways? - no, it is not guitar driven at all. There is a few quiet parts of strumming, but thats about it. Perhaps we could compare it more to the ambient works of Porcupine Tree (Phase III or IV of Voyage 34 perhaps...) but thats about as close as it gets.

Or just a bunch of synths? - It IS a bunch of synths, yes! There are many purely electronic parts with plenty of keyboards too. Not to suggest that it is 'plain' by any means though, as this is a heavily textured album.

Or some sound effects thrown together, similar to Info Dump? - Ha, I wouldnt say that they are thrown together...but it is very similar to Info Dump in many ways. Just a lot stranger.

Basically, I'm saying, does it have some sort of tangible body to it (some acoustic guitar riffs or something), or is the entire thing just keyboard noodling? - Interesting question, because I would say that there IS a tangible body to it, just not in a conventional way. There is very little guitar work and lots of keyboard noodling...but for the most part the 'song' texture and body is created using a soundscape built entirely of original sounds and samples. In many ways I think of it as what an album like Ocean Machine or City (or Alien I suppose) would sound like if you removed all the guitars, drums, bass and vocals. Ha!

So there you have it. I am not trying to be weird or anything, Devlab really is that hard to describe. I would suggest that you buy it anyway, and if you dont like it...then dont listen to it. The worst thing you will be doing is supporting The Dev, and you might even enjoy the album.

Phew!

#85625 by CardDinour
Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:47 am
Blazingmonga wrote:
doomsoldier wrote:I'm considering getting Devlab, but I still don't completely understand what style it is. Is it atmospheric rock ala Porcupine Tree's "The Sky Moves Sideways? Or just a bunch of synths? Or some sound effects thrown together, similar to Info Dump?

Hehe, by the questions you are asking, I would suspect that you may not be too keen on Devlab. Allow me to answer them one by one for maximum clarity! (TM)

Is it atmospheric rock ala Porcupine Tree's "The Sky Moves Sideways? - no, it is not guitar driven at all. There is a few quiet parts of strumming, but thats about it. Perhaps we could compare it more to the ambient works of Porcupine Tree (Phase III or IV of Voyage 34 perhaps...) but thats about as close as it gets.

Or just a bunch of synths? - It IS a bunch of synths, yes! There are many purely electronic parts with plenty of keyboards too. Not to suggest that it is 'plain' by any means though, as this is a heavily textured album.

Or some sound effects thrown together, similar to Info Dump? - Ha, I wouldnt say that they are thrown together...but it is very similar to Info Dump in many ways. Just a lot stranger.

Basically, I'm saying, does it have some sort of tangible body to it (some acoustic guitar riffs or something), or is the entire thing just keyboard noodling? - Interesting question, because I would say that there IS a tangible body to it, just not in a conventional way. There is very little guitar work and lots of keyboard noodling...but for the most part the 'song' texture and body is created using a soundscape built entirely of original sounds and samples. In many ways I think of it as what an album like Ocean Machine or City (or Alien I suppose) would sound like if you removed all the guitars, drums, bass and vocals. Ha!

So there you have it. I am not trying to be weird or anything, Devlab really is that hard to describe. I would suggest that you buy it anyway, and if you dont like it...then dont listen to it. The worst thing you will be doing is supporting The Dev, and you might even enjoy the album.

Phew!

id have to say that is possibly the best response you will get without listening to it yourself. just buy it, its cheap and you probably should like it ;)

its not just plain boring ambient music, there are some awesome melodies in it anad you get hooked, its awesome :D and the comparison to Voyage 34 - Phase III/IV is the closest you could get without hearing it.

go get it :D

#85631 by chrisslight
Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:58 am
Well I have finnaly orded it, along with OM, my dev horizons are expanding :D

#85656 by doomsoldier
Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:55 pm
Well, Blazingmonga and CardDinour have convinced me to pick it up, although I was halfway ready to get it anyway, just because nothing else Devin has ever done has let me down.

So thanks![/i]

#85667 by Atari
Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:58 pm
My Devlab's ordered......