I'm gonna melt you guys!

#59847 by optimadam
Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:22 am
PPl if you not listened to it please to judge it. I know evilpanda person has listened to it and im sure he understands what im ona obut. It might be ok if ur hight or tripping but ive never been high or anything of that nature.

#59870 by simen_88
Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:57 am
optimadam wrote:It might be ok if ur hight or tripping but ive never been high or anything of that nature.
Or if you like different kinds of music. Seriously, it would be nice if you explained what you don't like about it. Does it have any new weird time signatures or anything like that? Or any time signature at all?

#59875 by optimadam
Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:57 am
Time Signirtures???

Its not music to me. Its like a sample cd for the random background samples he uses in some of his songs. The twisted mess ur head up whats happening to me sounds.

#59878 by niklang
Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:26 am
I got mine and its good!

Some people are surprised how it sounds, WTF! Dev said this was his heavy metal ambient album and he's right. It sounds like one big headfuck!

Yeah its not for everybody but you can appreciate the work it must take to put together something like this theres samples everywhere.

I haven't heard it right the way through but i would recommnend it to Dev fans with an open musical mind.

#59899 by A Gruesome Discovery
Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:23 pm
I think "ambient music" might be a misnomer; it's mostly ambient soundscapes, though what one would call "music" has a few cameos here and there (mostly later on in the album; track 8 for instance). It's not really a question of "getting it", which is a term primarily used by music snobs as a defense mechanism; it's more of a question of what your expectations of a CD are. I don't see myself putting this on my MP3 player and going for a jog, but I will put it on when I want some background sounds that don't require as much attention as a traditional album would. Hence the "ambient" moniker: it's not strictly made to be "listened" to, rather, it serves as an interesting atmosphere. Hope that vague description helps.

If you're wondering exactly how to classify Devlab- if you had to put it in a record store that genres sectioned off, like rock, metal, electronic, etc., it would go next to those recordings of ocean sounds and birdsongs and whatnot, but with some sort of warning sticker about possible mental health issues both from repeated listenings and those of the artist :twisted:.

It's not what I expected, but it's not entirely unlike anything I own and appreciate. I was sort of expecting a Boards of Canada type thing; ambience with some beats that serve as frames of reference- and there's some of that, but mostly there is no rhythmic frame of reference- you're on your own through most of it. I'm glad I bought it.

#59904 by psychotic
Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:25 pm
Just curious, I've seen a lot of comparisons out there, people asking about it, and I just wanna throw one more in. Mike Patton's solo albums were very strange with a lot of noises and sound effects. There's also Naked City stuff that I listen to a lot. Is it anything like those? Maybe a little bit more Praxisish? Just curious.

#59925 by Metalhead
Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:37 pm
Anything slightly similar to Robert Fripp's 'Frippertronics'? Because that stuff can be really head-fucking if you listen to it in your sleep.

Really good stuff - though not good if you don't like listening to only one guitar with heavy effects work and looping...

#59926 by simen_88
Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:37 pm
optimadam wrote:Time Signirtures???

A time signature is the number you count to again and again when you're playing music.

#59937 by Noodles
Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:40 pm
Time Signirtures???

Its not music to me. Its like a sample cd for the random background samples he uses in some of his songs. The twisted mess ur head up whats happening to me sounds.

it would help if that was gramtically correct and didn't have like 50 mispellings :\

#59968 by A Gruesome Discovery
Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:00 pm
Noodles wrote:it would help if that was gramtically correct and didn't have like 50 mispellings :\

Irony- [n] literary technique that involves surprising, interesting, or amusing contradictions

sorry, I had to :D

#59987 by optimadam
Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:36 am
Noodles wrote:it would help if that was gramtically correct and didn't have like 50 mispellings :\

Im dislcix so get use to it.

#60037 by Kristopher
Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:30 am
what, you're dixlesss??

Dude dont badmouth the mans music when you were pre warned...

I loved ecko... brilliant... and I was a huge fan of the infinity EPs... he said mix love load with Eko and you're half way there... Well Im half way there... I ordered it on the 4th I think... so it'll be here soon.

#60054 by optimadam
Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:18 am
Kristopher wrote:

Who u talking aobut there??

#60055 by Blazingmonga
Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:21 am
optimadam wrote:
Kristopher wrote:

Who u talking aobut there??

I think he is saying not to give the music a bad review because Devin mentioned that it is possible people such as yourselves would (quite rightly) not like it.

Anyway, dont worry if you dont like it! Its all ok. I dont think its like Devin is going to concentrate on music like this or anything, its just an experiment.

#60056 by optimadam
Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:26 am
Blazingmonga wrote:
I think he is saying not to give the music a bad review because Devin mentioned that it is possible people such as yourselves would (quite rightly) not like it.

Anyway, dont worry if you dont like it! Its all ok. I dont think its like Devin is going to concentrate on music like this or anything, its just an experiment.

I hope so becasue if he does im going to abanden him :(