I'm gonna melt you guys!
#127600 by danceswithchickens
Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:23 am
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

Does anyone know of any interviews where Devin talks about the process of creating Devlab? I'm interested to know how this album came to be, what sort of writing process was used, where did the ideas come from, how did he choose the samples, what inspired him to make it, etc. I've seen very little mention of it so far, compared to his other albums.

#127606 by Mordecai
Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:57 pm
I concur.

It's an amazing album. :D

#127615 by Atari
Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:23 pm
I concur as well.

#127632 by Yanko
Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:30 pm
i'd also be interested in that, i wanna look more into "noise-based" music.
And i'm typing this staring at Mordecai's avatar.

#127642 by Blazingmonga
Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:40 am
I'd love to know more about this fascinating project. I havent really ever heard anything else like it!

#127662 by Biert
Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:40 am
I have to agree with everything that has been said.

#127693 by Shamnera
Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:28 pm
Blazingmonga wrote:I'd love to know more about this fascinating project. I havent really ever heard anything else like it!

I'm afraid to know what it would sound like on drugs of any type. :twisted:

#127720 by danceswithchickens
Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:14 am
Shamnera wrote:
Blazingmonga wrote:I'd love to know more about this fascinating project. I havent really ever heard anything else like it!

I'm afraid to know what it would sound like on drugs of any type. :twisted:

I listened to it on magic mushrooms about a week ago. It was quite intense. I was only on 0.9 grams, so I was not intensely tripping at the time, but it definitely had an interesting effect. The sounds on the album really work their way into your brain, and play with your mood...

#127786 by Whiplash
Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:51 pm
Yanko wrote:i'd also be interested in that, i wanna look more into "noise-based" music.

Some good noise artists :

Merzbow
Masonna
Fckn Bstrd's
Pig Molester

#127793 by Yanko
Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:21 pm
Whiplash wrote:
Yanko wrote:i'd also be interested in that, i wanna look more into "noise-based" music.

Some good noise artists :

Merzbow
Masonna
Fckn Bstrd's
Pig Molester

thanks a lot! :D

where did mordecai's boobies go btw? :lol:

#127796 by darknetghost
Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:09 pm
I've only heard the Devlab track that's on this site, and based off that and the discription of Hummer, I don't think what are usually refered to as noise artists are that similar to this. Something like Aphex Twin's ambient stuff seems a lot more similar to me.

However, the rest of Devlab could be Merzbow-esque noise for all I know.

#127807 by Whiplash
Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:27 pm
i have some mp3's of the album and they are ambient type of stuff with some weird sounds and distorted vocals in it, it also has a couple of merzbow styled noise eruptions..good stuff. i still sould get the cd some day.

#127828 by danceswithchickens
Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:41 am
darknetghost wrote:I've only heard the Devlab track that's on this site, and based off that and the discription of Hummer, I don't think what are usually refered to as noise artists are that similar to this. Something like Aphex Twin's ambient stuff seems a lot more similar to me.

However, the rest of Devlab could be Merzbow-esque noise for all I know.

Devlab is a mix. There is ambient, there is noise, there is even some progressive techno-type stuff on it. Something for everyone :D.

#127835 by Naffis-kun
Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:08 am
I heard Merzbow some years ago and thought it was way too freaky.
I wonder what I would think of it now..

#127842 by Biert
Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:09 am
Yanko wrote:where did mordecai's boobies go btw? :lol:

Boobies? :shock: