I'm gonna melt you guys!
#169389 by IronMaiden736
Thu May 08, 2008 1:29 am
I use it all the time. I usually have a hard time getting to sleep whenever I need to be up early the next morning, and this album really helps me relax and get to sleep.

Thanks Dev!
#169637 by Migstopheles
Wed May 14, 2008 10:46 am
The Hummer arrived today, I'll be listening to it later tonight when they've stopped hammering seven shades of shit out of the road outside my flat. Looking forward to it.

I'm new to Devin Townsend's music, and obviously this forum, I gather that not all his stuff is ambient though. If I'm into Tool/Isis/Mastodon/Meshuggah, can you recommend anything to start me off? Sorry for not doing any background checks, but it's always best to hear things from the horse's mouth, y'know?

Cheers.
#169678 by BrunoN
Thu May 15, 2008 12:37 am
Migstopheles wrote:The Hummer arrived today, I'll be listening to it later tonight when they've stopped hammering seven shades of shit out of the road outside my flat. Looking forward to it.

I'm new to Devin Townsend's music, and obviously this forum, I gather that not all his stuff is ambient though. If I'm into Tool/Isis/Mastodon/Meshuggah, can you recommend anything to start me off? Sorry for not doing any background checks, but it's always best to hear things from the horse's mouth, y'know?

From ambient side, there's The Hummer, which you have, Devlab (droney, noisy stuff) and EKO, bonus CD to special edition of "Accelerated Evolution" - it's short one, three songs of easy-listening trancey ambient stuff. Rest of ambience is tucked between, guitars, samples, screams and all goings ons on most of his records.

If you're into crazier, progressive metal then start from Strapping Young Lad's "Alien", I think it's most ambitious of his heavy works. Then there's "City". which is utter classic, very industrially tinged and angry as fuk. These are IMO best ones, rest of SYL records in assorted order. Off Dev's solo works - "Ocean Machine" is wonderfully flowing thing, hard to categorize, but heavy, ambienty and catchy as well. "Terria"'s epic, "Infinity" is insane (like less heavy "Alien"), "Physicist" is like less angry SYL and "Synchestra" is laid back and happy with lots of interesting progressive bits and some epicness for a good measure. That's my short summary :)
#169682 by Migstopheles
Thu May 15, 2008 1:03 am
Cheerss mate, appreciate that. I'll pick up a couple of albums from hevydevy.com I reckon.

Listened to The Hummer last night, and it was as close to a masterpiece as I've heard recently. Amazing stuff.
#169693 by Stomp224
Thu May 15, 2008 3:23 am
I just got my copies of Devlab and The Hummer from the post office. :D
Im just listening to The Hummer now, and it is so serene and peaceful I can feel my self drifting to sleep, and I only woke up an hour go!
What equipment did he use for the synths? The sounds seem deceptively simple, but its mix & arrangement is pure Dev genius. I wish Id have bought this sooner :oops:
#169927 by Stomp224
Tue May 20, 2008 4:07 pm
OK, I love both Dev Lab and The Hummer, they are perfect inspiration for a Uni project I have ( a 'modern composition' that has to be performed), but can anyone recommend any artists/ albums in a similar vein? I would mucho appreciate it, cos I really wanna explore this type of thing in my own music! But id also appreciate more by Dev! :mrgreen:
#170001 by FUBAR
Thu May 22, 2008 1:43 pm
Stomp224 wrote:OK, I love both Dev Lab and The Hummer, they are perfect inspiration for a Uni project I have ( a 'modern composition' that has to be performed), but can anyone recommend any artists/ albums in a similar vein? I would mucho appreciate it, cos I really wanna explore this type of thing in my own music! But id also appreciate more by Dev! :mrgreen:

Try

Bass Communion

Biosphere

Global Communication

Eluvium

not totally the same but very cool ambient music nonetheless :)
#170003 by BrunoN
Thu May 22, 2008 2:53 pm
Stomp224 wrote:OK, I love both Dev Lab and The Hummer, they are perfect inspiration for a Uni project I have ( a 'modern composition' that has to be performed), but can anyone recommend any artists/ albums in a similar vein? I would mucho appreciate it, cos I really wanna explore this type of thing in my own music! But id also appreciate more by Dev! :mrgreen:

You don't have to search far, forum's Dunkel is pretty l33t in ambient music

http://www.myspace.com/almaach
#173013 by Van Pole
Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:27 pm
I'm new to this ambient type for music, so it's quite new and pretty cool experience for me during listening to both Devlab and Hummer.

What can I say... Incredible type of music. It's like exploring new worlds.

Just imagine where you want to be and this music can take you there.

Good stuff, I like it.
#178644 by elvendio
Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:34 pm
My copy came in the mail today and I listened one already and wow it's freaking awesome. It even came with a hand signed personal thank you note!
#179633 by Amber
Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:20 pm
I got my copy of The Hummer for Christmas :D I got a Christmas card too! I was rather happy :D I can't wait to listen to it. I just need to find a way to chuck everyone out the house haha.
#179639 by Devy, spelled Devy!
Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:28 pm
Amber wrote:I got my copy of The Hummer for Christmas :D I got a Christmas card too! I was rather happy :D I can't wait to listen to it. I just need to find a way to chuck everyone out the house haha.

Cool! I asked for it for Christmas, but I didn't get it :sad: Let me know how it is! I did get Synchestra though! And it came with a DTB sticker and a little note that said "Thanks Sandy! *smiley face* Sandy is my brother. It was one of my favorite presents :D
#179882 by Amber
Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:31 pm
Devy, spelled Devy! wrote:
Amber wrote:I got my copy of The Hummer for Christmas :D I got a Christmas card too! I was rather happy :D I can't wait to listen to it. I just need to find a way to chuck everyone out the house haha.

Cool! I asked for it for Christmas, but I didn't get it :sad: Let me know how it is! I did get Synchestra though! And it came with a DTB sticker and a little note that said "Thanks Sandy! *smiley face* Sandy is my brother. It was one of my favorite presents :D

Woo :D It is rather good. My brother fell asleep to it like a brick. I had a bit more difficulty. I think it's just cause I have a problem relaxing though. Some parts of the album did make me feel a little bit uncomfortable... But a whole I enjoyed it. Cosmic Surf is my favourite at the moment, but I think its because of the sea noise. :D

I've noticed actually, there is a bit of a rain theme with Devs music. Or, general water theme, as the sea isn't quite rain. :P
#180440 by Death'o'Musak
Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:31 pm
Conscousness Causes Collapse, Equation & The Abacus played one after the other are definatly my favourite's...
that soft guitar that starts at 6:50 of Abacus, and the sweet little piano bit that follows shortly after, just brilliant...