I'm gonna melt you guys!

#131893 by fullgore
Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:24 pm
Speaking of babies, my ex once told me that for a while after they're born (I'm not sure if she said 6 months? a year? 2 years???) their eyesight is SO BAD that if they were an adult they would be considered blind... Is there any truth to that?

I mean if it's true, that would suck. You could walk into the room and the baby would smile and you'd think "aww it's smiling 'cause i came into the room!" but really it'd just be smiling because it feels like it.

#131895 by armheadmcgee
Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:45 pm
Yeah, for the first few weeks all they can see is light and dark shapes, then they start to get colors and more definition in the months later.

#131896 by kyl88
Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:45 pm
No, that's crap. I have 3 kids, and they can see fine early on. I would guess your ex said 6 months, as most kids can walk by the time they are a year old. You would know by then if they couldn't see. (I hope) :shock:

When my kid's were babies, they would smile at damn near anything :D

#131897 by kyl88
Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:48 pm
Oh, armheadmcee, I meant fullgore's ex comment was crap, not yours.
Sorry, you beat my post seconds :P

#131963 by ladytwiglet
Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:32 am
yes i know its a bit late, but Congratulations to all three of you :)

can we pretty-please have an update on how you are all doing/coping/loving it? and a picture would be ser-weet!!

and being a parent is THE coolest thing in the world...if i won the lottery i would buy a big house and be permanently pregnant i love it so much :P

*hugs to all*

#131964 by Yanko
Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:26 am
fullgore wrote:Speaking of babies, my ex once told me that for a while after they're born (I'm not sure if she said 6 months? a year? 2 years???) their eyesight is SO BAD that if they were an adult they would be considered blind... Is there any truth to that?

I mean if it's true, that would suck. You could walk into the room and the baby would smile and you'd think "aww it's smiling 'cause i came into the room!" but really it'd just be smiling because it feels like it.

it actually goes like that. It´s like when you stay with your eyes closed in a dark room for too long, when you get out of it, your sight is kinda blurry. They gotta get the organs going when they´re born, so it takes quite some time before they can get fully functional eyesight.
There was a flash somewhere that showed the several stages of baby sight development, they start seeing things dark and blurry, then it clears up, then gets less and less blurry and etc.
That´s why some kids get scared with random stuff far from them, it´s like seeing a big dark blob trying to get you :lol:

#131985 by Das Schuetzenfest
Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:17 pm
EphelDuath666 wrote:and who's late again...meeee! Damn I'm slow.

No, you are not slow. I AM slow! Finally found this thread! Two weeks (!) later.

Congratulations from Heidelberg, Germany! :D

#131993 by Intoc
Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:33 pm
Can't wait!

And constabulations on the offspring!
Last edited by Intoc on Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#132012 by Janne
Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:59 am
A hearty CONGRATULATIONS!!! from Sweden. This is great news and I hope you are able to take all the time you want and need to get to know your newest member of your family.

My daughter has just turned six (months) and I'm still amazed to see this beautiful creature sit and smile at me when I come home from work.

You have a great time ahead of you!

-Janne

#132043 by gurp13
Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:13 pm
Re: infant's eyesight... There's no way it's even as long as six months. I'd say at most six weeks. I think they are really nearsighted at first and it gets better quickly. I think babies can see quite well by three or four months. They definitely recognize their parent's faces within weeks. But, smell is their most developed sense early on. I didn't change my soap or cologne so that both of my babies could recognize me. And, both of my children recognized my voice within minutes of birth. My daughter Stella was five minutes old, crying in the delivery room. The nurses and doctor were all trying to quiet her and console her to no avail. So, I went over and quietly started talking to her. She instantly hushed and turned her head to listen to me. It was an awesome and humbling moment to know that this little life already depended on me for it's health and well-being. It was instant bonding, for me.

#132051 by Persuader
Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:05 am
Gurp: Awww, that's so cute...All this baby talk makes one reconsider...

#132062 by Biert
Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:07 am
Check this out then: http://tinyeyes.com/tinyeyes/

#132066 by day old male
Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:59 am
Dev/Tracy,

I feel like a jerk! I haven't visited the boards lately, so this thread completely passed me by. Let me offer my congratulations and best wishes to the family.

Welcome to the world little Reyner!!!

James. xo

#132092 by BenMech
Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:10 pm
Way late on this -

MegaCongratulations to the family Townsend.

May the lil Warrior have a life worth fully lived.

Oh and Hummer - I hope I get a chance to catch it.

#132124 by djskrimp
Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:48 pm
Yanko wrote:
fullgore wrote:Speaking of babies, my ex once told me that for a while after they're born (I'm not sure if she said 6 months? a year? 2 years???) their eyesight is SO BAD that if they were an adult they would be considered blind... Is there any truth to that?

it actually goes like that. It´s like when you stay with your eyes closed in a dark room for too long, when you get out of it, your sight is kinda blurry. They gotta get the organs going when they´re born, so it takes quite some time before they can get fully functional eyesight.
There was a flash somewhere that showed the several stages of baby sight development, they start seeing things dark and blurry, then it clears up, then gets less and less blurry and etc.
That´s why some kids get scared with random stuff far from them, it´s like seeing a big dark blob trying to get you :lol:

Funny, babies seem to have no issues with pooping..the one function that is fully operational out of the box, so to speak.

from Japan: Congrats to the newly expanded family !