Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:20 am
Two words...........

Subtle

Beautiful

Discuss.....

(discuss is not the third word :D )

#134050 by Blazingmonga
Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:17 am
Being a fellow Scot, hopefully mine has also arrived by the time I get home. Not sure which of us is closer to Canada though, ha.

Can you describe what it is like? Not just for me, but for other people who will maybe have to wait a few more days.

Song names? (If any...)
Track lengths?
Structure?
Booklet?
Mango?

#134052 by hog
Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:41 am
6 songs-

The Hummer
Arc
Conciousness causes collapse
Equation
The abacus
Cosmic surf

It has samples from the likes of Leonard Cohen, Ravi Shankar and even Jodie Foster.

It does has a feeling of the lighter moments of Devlab, when it gets really spacey sounding.

There is a little bit of background piano some flute.

Dev is certainly right about it helping you to sleep, very relaxing. Great background ambience.

The longest song is over 23 minutes :D

This cd is the absolute bomb.

If I took a smoke I would smoke to this. Although I dont smoke, Im just being hypothetical. :)

#134053 by Blazingmonga
Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:53 am
Thanks for the info! I hope it is waiting for me when I get home.

Sounds like a more complete concept than Devlab. Interesting to see the maths references in the song titles. Devin must still have been in that state of mind when he named these (I'm thinking of Alien/Info Dump here).

And yes, if I had something to smoke I would surely smoke to this.

A long song is a good song. Unless it is a bad song. In which case, it would be better if it was short. What? Oh, 23 minutes sounds great. Does that make it the longest song Devin has written yet?

Yaaaaay!

#134060 by Dr.Mosh
Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:28 am
yay, I got mine today too along with the always friendly smiley and thank you from Tracy. Thanks Tracy! (and Devin of course :)

#134072 by Leechmaster
Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:11 am
Got it!!!! Yes!!!!!!!! Made my day after a thoroughly shitty day in school. Reyner's so damn cute looking as well, just like his dad. :D

#134077 by danceswithchickens
Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:25 am
Dear God, I can't wait for mine to arrive. I'll be surprised if I like it more than Devlab, though. In spite of all the critics who dismissed Devlab as "a bunch of noise", I find it to be one of the most fascinating and disturbing albums in my collection...

#134086 by Atari
Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:35 pm
danceswithchickens wrote: In spite of all the critics who dismissed Devlab as "a bunch of noise", I find it to be one of the most fascinating and disturbing albums in my collection...

Quoted for truth.

Currently listening to The Hummer for the first time, sounds excellent on Grados.

#134094 by JayjayAbnormal
Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:21 pm
I should get mine sometime next week, hopefully

#134096 by fragility
Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:24 pm
Just on my first listen now....I'm not giong to pass judgement until I've listened at least 5 times

#134097 by fragility
Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:26 pm
Oh, and I forgot to say congratulations to Tracy and Devin on producing such a cutie!! *giggles*

#134099 by Metalmonkey
Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:52 pm
Ok so The Hummer reached the UK, hopefully it will cross the Channel this night :)

#134100 by hog
Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:39 pm
danceswithchickens wrote:Dear God, I can't wait for mine to arrive. I'll be surprised if I like it more than Devlab, though. In spite of all the critics who dismissed Devlab as "a bunch of noise", I find it to be one of the most fascinating and disturbing albums in my collection...

IMHO it's a bit more subtle than Devlab.

I can sit and actively listen to Devlab, The Hummer is more background textures.

Devlab is dark, The Hummer is beautiful...both are great. :)

#134104 by Falk
Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:44 pm
I haven't ordered it (yet ?).
I don't know, I don't feel like buying ambient record that much. I already wanted, but then it fades away. Maybe it just feels weird to "buy some ambience" ?

And I have mixed feeling about Devlab (I haven't buy it neither^^, hem...). If a song like track 12 is beautiful (and the big bass drop at the beginning is awesome with my sub ^_^), I can absolutely NOT relate to some of the tracks, particularly at the beginning, like tracks 1 & 4.
When I think ambient, I think pictures of beautiful, etheral, eerie, unknown, spacy landscapes, cold or warm. But those tracks are 'hard' to listen to, like a nightmare (I mean a dark nightmare, not a violent one), all I can make up is a sort of weird circus, a bit à-la Tim Burton, with some wierd guys/string-puppets free from their animators, but still, it's to weird for me to build concistant pictures.

When it comes to stories, mangas, animes, movies, I like weird/dark stuff, but in music, not that much.

That's curious how I'm often looking for an atmosphere in the music I listen to, love how samples and keyboard work enhance the "true" instruments, how I associate pictures with music, and don't really give a damn about the lyrics, yet when it comes to ambient music, I feel like it lacks something :wink: , like a movie without characters maybe (whatever :roll: :lol: )

#134107 by Dr.Mosh
Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:51 pm
Falk wrote:I haven't ordered it (yet ?).
I don't know, I don't feel like buying ambient record that much. I already wanted, but then it fades away. Maybe it just feels weird to "buy some ambience" ?

And I have mixed feeling about Devlab (I haven't buy it neither^^, hem...).

Admitting to havinging downloaded and not bought a DT album on the OFFICIAL hevy devy forum is pretty damn stupid