I'm gonna melt you guys!

#134108 by JayjayAbnormal
Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:56 pm
Dr.Mosh wrote:
Falk wrote:I haven't ordered it (yet ?).
I don't know, I don't feel like buying ambient record that much. I already wanted, but then it fades away. Maybe it just feels weird to "buy some ambience" ?

And I have mixed feeling about Devlab (I haven't buy it neither^^, hem...).

Admitting to havinging downloaded and not bought a DT album on the OFFICIAL hevy devy forum is pretty damn stupid

I have at least once. But I bought it eventually

#134111 by Falk
Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:43 pm
Ha ? Sorry, I was just being honnest. I have a decent collection of DT and related albums that I listen endlessly, a few early ones still missing though (demos), maybe if I had more money I'd buy 'em right away without thinking twice, but I can't afford doing this for now (simply put, I can't afford buying an album without listening it first, exept maybe if everyone agrees it's the new best thing (and again, I don't really trust what everyone says)), particularly when it's stated "not for everyone's tastes", which proves quite right in this case. I really don't listen to it that much (if at all, except track 12), I wish I would, but as explained in my previous post, if I've had my ambient-period, I don't listen to much ambient music anymore (more downtempo/groovy stuff, like secret agent on s.o.m.a.F.M), and get my needs of ambient fullfilled by internet radios (it also bugs me as Dev' seems pretty proud of those ambient records, but maybe they're more personnal, and then more subject to hit or miss).
Now if it's just (and I mean just as "pointing out", not "minimizing") the fact of admitting it on the OFFICIAL messageboard that you're criticising me for, mmh, then I guess I can see your point.
I just think there are many "hits" but also some rare "miss", which can be discussed about, but the fact that I haven't bought it is part of the miss, IMO.
But I guess whatever I may say "as an excuse" may not be valuable in your opinion^^.

Sorry for starting an off topic thing... Back to Hummer if you will^^
Last edited by Falk on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#134112 by sicsmoo
Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:51 pm
Just got it today. I'm stoked.

#134114 by The Oid
Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:34 pm
Just got it today, and listening to it for the first time now.

First impressions, it seems much better than Devlab, but maybe that's because it's closer to what I expected Devlab to sound like before I heard it, or because it seems to me to be almost a distilled form of the things I liked most about Devlab.

It's definitely not for everyone, but obviously it depends what else you're into. I quite like industrial noise, so I appreciate music that might sound like noise to your average Joe. That said, I don't think it's so crazy or out there that you'd have to be into that kind of thing to appreciate it.

Definitely worth a listen if you're open minded.

The more I listen to it, the more I feel that it blows Devlab out of the water.

#134115 by SmashingTool
Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:05 pm
How does it compare to Info Dump?

#134117 by Edkaye
Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:50 pm
Mine came today as well. Weird how so many got them at the same time. I live on Vancouver Island, so I was starting to go nuts. Oh well, 7 days to ship 50km isn't all that bad :shock:

I spoke to Leechmaster on last.fm and he told me his had arrived, and I had a feeling mine had too, but my girlfriend had taken the keys to the mail box to work. She thought I was happy to see her when she came home, she was wrong.

This is really nice stuff, I would compare it to stuff by Final (Justin Broadrick), and Tribes of Neurot (Neurosis side project). The deep drone noises also bring to mind Sunn O))).

My girlfriend really does not like this, she is looking at me in a disapproving way as she tries to watch Jeopardy . Hahahahahah!

#134134 by Blazingmonga
Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:25 am
Mine did arrive yesterday.

Have only had a chance to listen to it once so far, but it was immense! My whole room was vibrating...the mix on this is so strange! Overall it is a very beautiful album, and I agree with Hog that it is a lot more subtle than anything Devin has produced before. If Devlab was random, then this has a lot more deliberate. I really need to listen a bit more, maybe in the dark.

The artwork is also beautiful. I was stunned by the image in the booklet!

Lovely jubbly!

#134139 by Leechmaster
Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:49 am
Listened to it last night for the first time when I went to bed, and I absolutely loved it. It was still playing when I woke up this morning, and I loved it even more. I do prefer it to Devlab, and its only grow on me more. Dev, once again you have truly outdone yourself!

#134141 by Miek
Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:48 am
Is mine the only one which has a clicking which is heard for, thus far, the first one and a half tracks?

#134144 by Edkaye
Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:12 am
Miek wrote:Is mine the only one which has a clicking which is heard for, thus far, the first one and a half tracks?

I did notice a little bit of clicking part way in, but not that runs though several tracks.

#134146 by djskrimp
Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:48 am
<Pacing floor, awaiting the arrival>

#134153 by odiz
Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:32 am
This thread inspired me to check my mail, and there it was. Just finished reading the newsletter and listening to it right now (in the background) - but its way to early to say anything. Got the Devlab too, so this is sure going to be one spiritual weekend!

#134185 by ian_glanzman
Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:41 pm
I Just Finished Listening To This And I Think It Is Really Good.

It's Also Cool That Some Of The Mental Tan String Samples Are On The Last Track Of This.

#134206 by Atari
Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:16 am
ian_glanzman wrote:
It's Also Cool That Some Of The Mental Tan String Samples Are On The Last Track Of This.

I thought I was hearing things at first.....

#134224 by HauntingTheHoly
Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:14 am
I like it better than Devlab, but I don't care too much for Devlab, really. I think Info Dump is exceptionally badass however, so I still give new ambient cd's a chance. I notice on "Arc" towards the beginning it sounds like the Morse code on info dump may be back? Anyone know? Interesting.

Also, anyone try to sleep with it on yet? I did last night, and it didn't work well at all. I had to get up and turn it off eventually. More on that later, maybe.